PDA

View Full Version : caping sheep???

Dale
03-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't seen it. Is caping a sheep or goat the same as caping a deer or moose? What I really need to know is...do you make the cut along the back of the neck from the top of the shoulders to the back of the head and then make the V cut to both horns, hence splitting the neck and shoulder part of the cape?? I'm guessing this is the only way to get the cape over the horns, right??
Thanks guys.

kootenayelkslayer
03-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Ya, like you said, cut down the back of the neck and over the shoulders. And yes, you do the V-cut to the horns. Pretty much the same as you'd do with a deer

Dale
03-05-2008, 08:04 PM
sweet thats what i thought, but just wanted to make sure for when i knock over my first stone ram this year. i've done a few deer and moose but thought maybe there was a different way to do horned animals. thanks, later.

Sitkaspruce
03-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Witha goat you need to make a T up between the horns, due to the big scent glands behing the horns. Everything else is the same.

SS

Dale
03-05-2008, 11:37 PM
thanks for the info guys.

hunter1947
03-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Some hunters that take a cape sometimes don't leave enough of the cape. Make sure when taking the cape from any animal that you make the cut behind the shoulders ,that leaves lots for the taxidermy to do his job right.:wink:.

calvin L
03-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Also take lots of lip so the taxi is not shorted for the mount

calvin L

Big7
03-06-2008, 08:02 AM
And leave NO blood on the cape - blood will permanently stain the white hair very easily!

03-06-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't seen it. Is caping a sheep or goat the same as caping a deer or moose? What I really need to know is...do you make the cut along the back of the neck from the top of the shoulders to the back of the head and then make the V cut to both horns, hence splitting the neck and shoulder part of the cape?? I'm guessing this is the only way to get the cape over the horns, right??
Thanks guys.

The only difference with a sheep is that you have to start the v-cut to the horns well back of the horns. There is very little space between the horns of a ram and starting the v-cut too close to the horns leaves very little room for stitching. My taxidermist recommended starting the v-cut at least 4" to the rear of the horns.

bighornbob
03-06-2008, 11:33 AM
The only difference with a sheep is that you have to start the v-cut to the horns well back of the horns. There is very little space between the horns of a ram and starting the v-cut too close to the horns leaves very little room for stitching. My taxidermist recommended starting the v-cut at least 4" to the rear of the horns.

My taxidermist wants just a little "T" between the horns. I gave him the the large "Y" about 3 inches and he told me to use the "T". As its less sewing for him which always makes a better mount.

Dale, I would ask the taxidermist whos you will be going to what he wants.

BHB

pupper
03-06-2008, 11:59 AM
here is an article from one of our site sponsors: Ray at heads above the rest. Ray wrote this instructional caping articel for my website:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Skinning_for_a_shoulder_mount

Wild Images
03-06-2008, 12:21 PM
The more cape the better, a lot of guys are wanting the wall pedistal mounts which takes a full briskit and more cape along the back than other mounts. Your taxidermist can cut extra hide off but can not add it on.

Be careful when skining around and between the horns, take a small sharp knife and cut all the way around each horn then use a small screwdriver ot peel it away. Be very careful not to cut through the skin between the horns.

Take your time skining, leave no meat and make no holes, also talk to your taxi and learn to split the lips and turn the ears.
I got a stone ram in last season that had about 3 lbs of meat on it, lips not split ears not turned then salted turning it all to jerky on the cape. This fellow was lucky the cape didn't slip, the ears were a nightmare to turn costing him 3 hrs extra labour trying to save it.

The mount you get back depends a lot on how well the cape is cared for
in the field.

Wild Images
03-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Wall pedistal pictures for caping referance

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/45809.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8451&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=2692)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/23245.jpg

boxhitch
03-06-2008, 05:46 PM
Be careful when skining around and between the horns, take a small sharp knife and cut all the way around each horn then use a small screwdriver ot peel it away. Be very careful not to cut through the skin between the horns.This is always hard to describe, to convey the right method.
The flesh/hair line is deep under the lower edge of the horn. Cut as not to leave hide under the horn. Free the hide by cutting away from the skull bone, and carefully cut or pry away from the horn base.
Did this muddy things ?

Sitkaspruce
03-06-2008, 05:51 PM
One of the best ways to learn is to go to the taxidermist that you will use and spend some time with him, not only ask questions, but help him/her out and watch as they skin and prep capes, even bears in the spring. They will teach you more in a couple of hours than we will here in a couple of days. Pick a good one and get to know them and what they like in a cape.

SS