PDA

View Full Version : Who here fishes for bass?

Muleycatcher
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Anyone on here fish for bass? and if so lets see your bass pics

Wild one
03-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Yes but sorry no pic's with didgy cam:oops:

Muleycatcher
03-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Ya my biggest one from vaseaux was not on a digital..he was about 6 lbs..caught him from shore on a buzzbait..wasnt expecting one that big!

todbartell
03-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Ive fished Vaseaux, Duck, Jim Smith, Tye Lake. Quite a bit of fun, and decent eating. Nice places to spend the summer if the bugs arent too bad (Duck Lake was ******ed with moquitos, but it is basically a swamp :D)

Johnnybear
03-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Touchy subject for me due to the fact that some S.O.B. put them in Westwood Lake here in Nanaimo:confused:. This lake was a great trout fishing lake until someone introduced that species into the lake. My son caught a 22 inch cutthroat a few years back with a photo that won him a $50.00 gift certificate from Gibbs tackle through Gone Fishing. We haven't been able to catch trout like we used to in that Lake since.

pmj
03-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Me. I have for years done my part to eliminate alien predators from the estuaries of the lower mainland. I have some spots north side of the Fraser. My best is a 16 1/2", 3 lb large mouth. but it is not on digital. I was very dissapointed when 3 years ago they put a daily limit of 4 bass for region 2. I guess they don't want to get rid of the bass.

johnes50
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
I've caught a few in Elk lake near Victoria. I was practicing fly casting from shore with a small trout nymph on it. Just seeing how well I could lay the line out. Was casting about 3-4 feet from shore when a 4lb. smallmouth grabbed it. Surprised the heck out of me.

sfire436
03-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Beent to spider lake on the island for bass. Everyone seems to think it is a great fishery for bass but we got maybe one, and only saw one other get caught. We finished the trip at quenel lake and caught a good load there.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
A 9 yr old kid landed a 12lb largemouth at a local lake a few years ago. Weighed on a grocery store scale. Luckily, no 200hp bass boats can make it onto this lake:-D.

SSS

Sideofabarn
03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes here to bass fishing, all on the island. I know we're supposed to be trying to get rid of alien species, but the fact is they're here whether we like it or not, so why not get out after them? I don't hear too many people griping about the brown trout in the cowichan, or the crappies in whonnock... I've caught a bunch of smallies on leach patterns, and my buddy uses soft plastic grubs on a spincast setup. Sadly, I have no pics either.

dave_fras
03-05-2008, 01:04 PM
the biggest i caught was just over 6 pounds out of shannon lake

SHAKER
03-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Caught lots of them over the years........again no pics........ Tonns of fun when the trout fish'n sucks and theirs no hunt'n to do. I fly fish on Vaseux for them with big leach patterns and do quite well. Also caught them on the water ski lake in Abbotsford (when I lived there) and Mill lake in Abbotsford....My biggest is around 4lbs from there. Funniest part is I caught him on a Chironomid sunk about a foot under the surface. Poor fight but fun none the less.

The Dawg
03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Always wanted to fish for bass...tried once about 8 -9 years ago at Mill Lake in Abby...didnt get anything....are there any lakes up around PG that hold them?

308BAR
03-05-2008, 03:14 PM
We have a friend taking basses in the mission area by bow. They were pretty good battered up and fried. He's pulled a some pretty big ones out of the channels in the area.

Deerwhacker
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
5 1/2lb largemouth i got out of sturgeon slough http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l269/Howhacker/PHOT0042.jpg

Tinney
03-05-2008, 06:06 PM
are there any lakes up around PG that hold them?

No. And it better stay that way.

Schutzen
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Used to fish all around Victoria for Smallies caught lots out of the different lks in the area. Very good fighters pound for pound. Since I moved up Island I have only fished them a bit, Spider Lk used to be good.

pmj
03-08-2008, 01:15 AM
We have a friend taking basses in the mission area by bow. They were pretty good battered up and fried. He's pulled a some pretty big ones out of the channels in the area.

308 BAR, You may want to advise your friend http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/new/kickInTheNuts.gif about allowable fishing methods and definitions from the Fresh Water Fishing Regulations:

spear fish

… means to fish with a spear or

an arrow that is propelled by a spring,

an elastic band, compressed air, a bow

or by hand. No spear fishing for “game
fish” (see definition, page 8 )

Freshwater game fish

are defined as follows:
Trout

rainbow trout
steelhead
cutthroat trout
brown trout
Char
Dolly Varden
bull trout
lake trout
brook trout
Whitefish
lake whitefish
mountain whitefish
Bass
largemouth bass
smallmouth bass
Other
kokanee
Arctic grayling
burbot (ling)
white sturgeon
black crappie
northern pike
yellow perch
walleye
goldeye
inconnu

crayfish

358win
03-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Just started bass fishing last summer. Was a blast and are gonna do it again. Here are a couple of 4-5 lb eaters

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc252/358win99/basstitleshared.jpg?t=1205181569

steelheadSABO
03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
i river fish not bass fish. but i have caught about five and the biggest was around 5 pounds.I cauht it on the island

BlacktailStalker
03-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Can't say I have but I probably should one day.
They don't interest me much but a guy should give everything a whirl that he has the opportunity to do, at least once.