PDA

View Full Version : Got skunked! I guess I shall stick to hunting!

sfire436
03-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Got the itch for the great outdoors and decided to take my personal Kyack and fly rod out to Buntzen lake. Spent 4 hours trolling with various leaches. Green and black. I am by no means an expert trout guy but I assume I did everything right. Trolled the shorelines and GOT NOTHING!

Any suggestion? I like going out for the day trips, anywhere else close to the lower mainland I could go that would actually produce?

Side note; went to the back of my GMC and noticed there were two ducks that have been there since the end of duck season........eeeewwwwwww. Shame the guys died without being consumed, I will be more dilligant.

HighCountry
03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Sfire436 try Mike Lake should be good for trout right now only 20 minutes drive from Maple Ridge.

The Dawg
03-04-2008, 07:40 PM
2nd vote for Mike lake...I used to fish there when I was in the LM...great fishing on the fly....no engine restriction, but its definately small enough to get around on in a belly boat or kayak. Its just inside the boundaries of Golden Ears park on the left hand side.

BlacktailStalker
03-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Next time set yourself up over a shoal and work your fly across it.
A straight trolled leech doesnt give it the needed undulating effect that a worked leech does.
Always cast into the wind, retrieving with the wind and fish the down wind side of the lake, the big boys are smart and know the food collects there.
That's where they will be.

Sitkaspruce
03-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Hey sfire436

That is why they call it fishing and not catching:wink:

Just be out is more than most of us can wish. Good on you to give it a try, now take some of the info from here and get back out there:smile:

The only way you are going to learn a lake is to keep fishing it and get to understand what works and what does not. Keep a log of your days and you will soon see a pattern.

Good luck and have fun

SS

Bpower
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
I was there on Sat. and the same story for us. I was with two other guys, one spin casting and the other trolling flys like myself. We changed up our flys a few times, tried different depths but nothing. There was another guy on the lake who did catch one rainbow but it doesn't look like the lake is producing much right now.

So in short, I wouldn't assume you are doing anything wrong and just keep at it.

Rolley Lake can be pretty good once it opens in the Spring

Sasamat can be pretty good as well, the lake does get a lot of people fishing from the floating walkway but go just past where they can cast to and there is a nice hole there. Also in front of the summer camp has been a good spot for me.

sfire436
03-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I stated at Sasamat before Buntzen park Opened. I see lots of fish rising just south of the walkway between the road but got nothing as well.

bc sportsman
03-05-2008, 12:42 AM
sfire436...for Buntzen, try a minnow pattern trolled slowly near the fish hatchery. Three or four small, light weight spinner blades some four feet ahead of the minnow pattern is also a good idea.