PDA

View Full Version : I'm a newbie

BigBlaze
03-04-2008, 04:26 AM
Hey I'm Cole, I'm a trucker from langley bc. OK here goes, I got my hunting license and my firearms license 3 years ago. a few friends of mine are in the same boat. We used to go hunting with my friend's ex gf's dad up to bonaparte lake via the loon lake road. the exs dad has a cabin up there. My friend was successfull with a bull moose and a couple deer but that was around 4 years ago. My hunting buddies and i Have been heading back to this area to hunt for the past 2 and a half years because we know the area (the roads not the game) and have had no success. We usually camp at bog lake. sometimes in late sept early october, mostly around november long weekend. What i'm getting at basicly is what are other peoples experiences in this area? I've gone the past 2 years without so much as seeing a buck or moose. Needless to say I'm getting rather tired with the area and i'm looking to try something new. I was curious about horsefly but i dont know the area at all. should i give up hope on bonaparte? or should i try my luck at horsefly? sorry if this sounds a little jumbled, its 3:30 in the morning and i'm at work bored out of my skull. any thoughts/insight/wisdom would be much appreciated.

sincerly,
BigBlaze

hunter1947
03-04-2008, 05:14 AM
First of all welcome to this forum Big Blaze. It sounds like there are very few deer in that area you hunt. I would head it up to Horsefly there are lots of deer in that area and LEH moose draws. From Horsefly to likely it is good hunting ,look over the different spots in there and you will find a area that holds some good deer hunting. The end of Quesnel finger is a good ,north Arm is a good spot as well ,it is just past Likely.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

Leaseman
03-04-2008, 06:23 AM
I agree with '47.... that area has always been a good producing area..... you might want to also look closer to home for deer..... up the Coq. hwy is many side roads that also produce good deer numbers and the odd moose.....

Mike

Steeleco
03-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Welcome neighbour!! Don't listen to Leaseman, I don't need any competition :wink::wink:

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-04-2008, 10:41 AM
when a new spot is calling me, i try to make a fishing trip during the summer. horsefly has a ton of lakes, go fishing and do some scouting, it takes a couple days to find the game, and they may not be the same place come fall, but you well know how you feel about the country, it's a good area good luck!

rocksteady
03-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Welcome Big Blaze.....Lots of info on the site.....

Do a lot of reading before you make a decision...on where to go....

Ask questions, lots of questions.....No such thing as a stupid question.....

Good luck and WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE !!!!

Wolfman
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Welcome aboard man ;-)

Wolfman

tomahawk
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Welcome, don't know specifically about the Bonaparte area but there are lots os deer around the Loops.

Wild one
03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
welcome I have never hunted those areas but the only way to find out if an area is good is go hunt it.I have some good spots in areas that other people think suck.My tip is go for some hikes and find the pockets were other people are to lazy to go.

Blainer
03-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Are you see'ing the does?
It has always been my conclusion,that is not so much where you hunt as to when you hunt.
Opening day,lots of bucks milling around before the hunters arrive
Rut,the big boys come out to play.
Welcome,I'm also reasonably new to site,and good luck.
p.s. my freezer is always full.

BigBlaze
03-06-2008, 01:22 AM
lol I usually leave camp at 4am when deer hunting. Btw thanx for the insight I'm still learning

compton
03-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Hey man, I know that area very well my family has the range rights to all that land for their cattle. I spend about three weeks a year up there in the fall chasing cows and hunting. Its hard hunting in there now with everything being logged due to the beetle kill. There used to be a lot of deer but I've noticed less over the last couple years. Last fall we got two four points but we worked hard for them, on the plus side i have been seeing more moose. We just hunt there because of round up, not because its great hunting, there is plenty of better hunting spots. and if your really want a deer from there you need to go before moose season opens.

Mr. Dean
03-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the show.
I is also an (albeit 'ex' now) freightologist of 20 years.

This bit of advice I live by;

welcome I have never hunted those areas but the only way to find out if an area is good is go hunt it.I have some good spots in areas that other people think suck.My tip is go for some hikes and find the pockets were other people are to lazy to go.

Don't forget our closer stuff thats just down the road. I've come across several nice animals over the past couple years (even bagged one). Scouting IMO is more important than hunting. Get yourself a good pair of boots and take in a few days of exploring and/or camping... It's all good. :smile:

Shed Hunter
03-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Howdy. welcome to the site

7mmag
03-15-2008, 04:34 AM
Finding a general area is easy word of mouth on this site or else ware and reading the harvest stats can give you that. ( I agree with some of the comments that you don't have to go as far as you plan) Finding the "spot" in that area was the hard part for me. Here's a few things that helped

one: get a "back road map book" for that part of the province.

two: get out and scout, find the does (while driving or on foot) then work the area for the bucks. If you don't see animals move on.

three: Be in the bush the day before the opener. It's amazing the deferents in the amount of bucks you see after you start hearing gun shots and before.

four: apply for any leh that you think gives you a good chance at success.

five: If you find a spot that holds good numbers don't give up on it because you don't have any luck the first time. My first BC buck was on the third trip back to the same spot.

These steps may seem simplistic but they worked for me and my hunting partner and we had about the worst luck possible when we started out.

good luck and happy hunting