PDA

View Full Version : Varmint/Predator hunting

The 'Hummer'
03-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Any active Varmint/Predator hunting opportunities and interest in say the Williams Lake/Horsefly area or around the Penticton area? Possibly even around Terrace? And, any suggestions or recommendations?:?:

mikek blacktail
03-03-2008, 09:10 PM
lolts of coyotes around williams lake

The 'Hummer'
03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
lolts of coyotes around williams lake
Good deal. Our young son recently moved to Horsefly and apparently in addition to Yotes and a few Wolves, they also have Gophers. I'm giving him my Ruger #1 on my next trip;) so I'll have to see what I can get going in that area.:biggrin: Thanks.

boonerbuck
03-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Good deal. Our young son recently moved to Horsefly and apparently in addition to Yotes and a few Wolves, they also have Gophers. I'm giving him my Ruger #1 on my next trip;) so I'll have to see what I can get going in that area.:biggrin: Thanks.

My fields in Horsefly were infsted with gophers. It got to the point where the eagles and ravens didnt care about the gun shots...on the contrary, they came to perch when the 22 was crackling waiting for the feast to come.

Two good areas to ask permission for coyote hunting are the Beaver Valley road and the Black Creek road. For wolves, pretty much anywhere in the logged out areas. They come into the fields often also. Few wolves is a huge understatement.

The 'Hummer'
03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
My fields in Horsefly were infsted with gophers. It got to the point where the eagles and ravens didnt care about the gun shots...on the contrary, they came to perch when the 22 was crackling waiting for the feast to come.

Two good areas to ask permission for coyote hunting are the Beaver Valley road and the Black Creek road. For wolves, pretty much anywhere in the logged out areas. They come into the fields often also. Few wolves is a huge understatement.

Merry Christmasto Me!! I have the ambition, enthusiasm, time, tools and ammo, when and where do I start?:biggrin: I'm guessing, leaving the predators in the area alone would possibly help keep the Gopher population in check and if so, I'm alright with that. At this point in time, Gophers are fine.:smile:
I've taken a quick look at the B.C. Recreation Atlas but I'm having some trouble finding the 'Beaver Valley Rd. & the Black Creek Rd. In relation to Horsefly, where abouts are they located?

Jimbo
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
the Beaver Valley rd. runs past Robert Lk. and George lk. to the Likely Hwy.

The 'Hummer'
03-05-2008, 01:08 AM
Thanks. It took me a while but I finally 'got it' from the Backroad Mapbook, volume V: The Cariboo. Hope my shooting is better than my map reading.:wink: Thanks again.:-)

boonerbuck
03-05-2008, 02:00 AM

It also follows through all the way to Mcleese Lake. There is more logging country on that run.

Black Cr. is the road that crosses the river in town. Follow that and stick to the right at the fork by the old hatchery. It continues all the way back to Wells Gray park and is some incredible mountain country. There are lots of ranches along the way til you come to black creek then it gives way to some bad ass wilderness and many big preds. Grizz and wolf a plenty. You would be doing the few caribou left back there a favour by culling some of the bigger preds like wolves and lions.