PDA

View Full Version : Prawning

Johnnybear
03-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Prawning is hot right now. Get out there and enjoy the ocean's gift. Commercial opens up soon so get out there. Last couple of weekends have been out standing in Northumberland Channel in the Nanaimo Area. I would assume Comox and Ladysmith the same. How has everyone else made out?

115 or bust
03-03-2008, 01:43 AM
went out last weekend and picked up around a hundred just before dinner in about 2 hours unfortunately fishing around nanaimo's a little depressing though. Great dinner though..

hunter1947
03-03-2008, 07:25 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/100_1437.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8283&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=941)

c.r.hunter
03-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Myself and 2 buddies limited out in the Campbell River area a couple weeks ago.

480ruger
03-04-2008, 01:34 AM
I WISH i could get out prawning..nice bucket full..i am going to try to get out end of the month to campbell river..hope you save some in the water for me8)

c.r.hunter
03-04-2008, 09:21 AM
It will be good for the month of March into May. As the commercial season progresses, it gets tough. They usually start may 1st or 15th.

480ruger
03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
thats good news, what depth are you fishing 250ish..

c.r.hunter
03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
I generally fish 250-350. A commercial prawner I know fishes 200-500.

Johnnybear
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Your picture say's it all Wayne. We have had a couple of weekend's like that. Stocking up for summer barbies and entertaining etc.!!. Glad to here some of you have had good luck. In Northumberland channel you go to the small wharf on the Gab side and go directly in front of it at about 198 ft. and there is a couple of other spots North and South of that that work great. Average 212 ft. You can go to the Flat Tops as well at the main entrance to Silva Bay at about 350 ft. and load up. More traffic at the Flat tops though. I tried by the fingers a couple of weekends ago and it is definately better in the fall around November.

Johnnybear
03-05-2008, 12:02 AM
unfortunately fishing around nanaimo's a little depressing though.

Do you mean prawing or fishing for springs?. Prawing is excellent and always has been this time of year. Springs are there all winter and are picking up (although I personally have not been fishing for them) and the reports I'm getting are quite good from folks that pound it hard. Thrasher, Grande, and Whalebone are the spots for springs.

Johnnybear
03-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Heading out tomorrow morning early for some crab's in the Nanaimo Estuary and Prawns in Northumberland again. Get out there and enjoy the ocean, boating, and harvesting her beauty.

mikethemilkman
03-11-2008, 10:11 AM
hoping to get out prawning in stuart channel.but the opening is not till april 1? prawns is good eatin:smile:

tomahawk
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Heading out tomorrow morning early for some crab's in the Nanaimo Estuary and Prawns in Northumberland again. Get out there and enjoy the ocean, boating, and harvesting her beauty.
How'd you do? Saw a boat out there prawning just before 3pm, was that you?

Johnnybear
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
My son and I were out in an aluminum Cope with a blue top. Got about 170 with 6 traps down and one pull (rushing it). Got a couple of nice crab's from the harbour (one was 3/4" over legal size!). Had better days but good day all in all. Saw one tupper ware boat was that you?

tomahawk
03-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the up date, I wasn't on the water but saw a fiberglass boat out pulling line and thought it might have been you.
You know the saying " a slow day prawning is better than.........".

Johnnybear
03-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Went out again this morning and got a couple hundred prawns in one pull. Forgot the chicken for crabs:( and had to use a can of pink salmon(part of lunch) as bait. Got a couple of Red Rockies but no dunginess. Lesson learned about aluminum boats.... make sure your battery is in an enclosed case and nothing metal (stainless, aluminum, etc.) can ground out on it accidentally!!! My prawn traps got pushed back enough under my splashwell and touched the positive post on the battery and grounded out through the gunnel of the boat. I was lucky in I only fried one small wire under the dash, knocked out a downrigger plug for the puller, and popped the depth sounder fuse. I have heard of this happening to others and there whole electrical panel was fried:shock:. Luckily I carry spare parts for everything on board and about an hour of repairing while drifting and she's all good to go:). Whewww.

Johnnybear
03-18-2008, 11:59 PM
April 1st is the opening in front of Crofton. Tuesday is a definate try to leave work early senario. Light out till 7:30 or 8:00 I figure. Hope to see some Chemainus or Crofton folks out there. This area is closed for a long time and opening day is very good for large prawns.