PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunting with kids

boatdoc
03-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi every one, my wife and kids really want to go elk hunting this fall. We are thinking of going to the east kootnenys. I have only hunted the koots once, the bull river area about a dozen years ago. Thinking of taking them for the antlerless opening in 4-2 to 4-6, 4-20 to 4-22 & 4-26. The kids have been moose hunting with us for a few years now, my daughter has yet to connect on a big game animal. Not looking for your secret spot but maybe a general idea of where to start looking.
Thanks in advance.

Vader
03-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Jaffray lowlands on both sides of the lake.. Camp at Kookanusa campground.. kinda central to where to you need to be. Anything in that 1100 meter range if you check the maps, (google earth), has lots of youth opportunities. Might also try the Lower end of the St Mary's, Perry Creek area, although it's a bit more effort. You don't say how old the kids are.. but the 1100 meter reg is ideal for those just wanting to give the kids a hunt.

boatdoc
03-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey Vader , kids are 13 and 15 , they can hike but a 3 hr hike would be about it.

kootenayelkslayer
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I remember bugling in my first elk with my dad when i was 8 or 9 years old, and have been hooked ever since. Back then i used my own voice to bugle... can't do that anymore for some reason. Anyway, I'm sure your kids will get hooked just like I did. I agree with Vader, try that Kookanusa area and you should have some fun.

J_T
03-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Jaffray lowlands on both sides of the lake.. Camp at Kookanusa campground.. kinda central to where to you need to be. Anything in that 1100 meter range if you check the maps, (google earth), has lots of youth opportunities. Might also try the Lower end of the St Mary's, Perry Creek area, although it's a bit more effort. You don't say how old the kids are.. but the 1100 meter reg is ideal for those just wanting to give the kids a hunt.
Yup. Good zone.

What you have to keep in mind with the early elk is the time that you are actually hunting. This is the hardest things with young people. Not the hiking.

You are on Pacific time, so it's possible you will be up at 3:30AM, daylight around 5:30(Pacific) (if memory serves me right) and it can be over by 9AM. Then you can go to the beach for the day, sleep and get ready for your evening hunt. Hike a couple of hours, find a zone and set up. Dark at 7:30 - 8(Pacific) back to camp, dinner, dishes and bed. Three hours later, up and at em.

I don't remember a time when my brother and I haven't had our kids with us. 4 yrs old and up.

aggiehunter
03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
Good points JT, probably some of the toughest hunting done. Long hours, little sleep, don't even think about partying... Then of course there is the success of the kill....

hunter1947
03-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Head up bloom creek from Kookanusa ,lots of elk up in that part of the woods.

finish
04-16-2008, 06:57 PM
I usually stick around 4-03, lots of elk, from Cranbrook to Rocky Creek, perry creek is good(A huge area though)

Aaron Blom
04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
What about the crap fields aren't thet still open or the lower end of the wildhorse I have always seen lots there.

rocksteady
04-18-2008, 07:35 AM
I would not recommend the effluent fields for several reasons>

It is usually an absolute gong show out there, not really something that impressionable kids need to be involved in.

I am still unsure if the meat from animals from the fields is all that great. I have several friends who have taken elk out of there and they say it was horrible. I also was with a buddy when he took a nice 4 point whitetail out of there and NOTHING touched the gut pile for well over 24 hours. To me that seemed strange. NO coyote, crow, magpie, dickie bird what have you...Usually the gut piles are cleaned up overnite, every nite....

finish
04-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Ya stay away from the S#*T fields...a total GONG show!!! Just like a war zone!!

Trapper
04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
O ya Toilet paper flats,i don't think i would what to eat any game that come from there,although i do see moo moo cows out there, so some one must be eating them.