PDA

View Full Version : Bear Hunting Poll

Nalidixic
03-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Hey Everyone. So, bear hunting season is almost upon us and I'm just wondering who will be going. What are your goals? Big? Color Phase Rug? Meat? Lets hear it. What exactly are you going for. I'm going to be going for my first bear rug. I'm hoping to find a color phase but if the season drags on and I can't find the right one, I'll go for just a meat bear. Lets hear it! 4 more weeks.. :-?

Nalid

Barracuda
03-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I enjoy good bear meat and i enjoy hunting them not to mention they make nice rugs (costly but worth it ,so if you want a rug choose carefully). so i guess all of the above.
A nice red colour phase would be nice . got plenty of plans with the hounds, calling and stalking .
To me bears are one of the most enjoyable critters to hunt :-P

rishu_pepper
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Wanting to bag my first bear, probably out for meat bear this time around and get the first one out of the way. No plans for rug/mount yet, but if I shoot a colour phase, all the plans could be thrown out the window :wink:

Steeleco
03-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Aside from quality time with my son and hunting buddy, MEAT, anything else is a bonus.

todbartell
03-02-2008, 12:58 AM
grizz leh for me, so I would love to see one let alone get a chance to kill one on the short hunt I will be able to go on. might pop a jumbo blackie if he gets in my way :D

Big Daddy Ryan
03-02-2008, 01:52 AM
My roomate had a black bear rug given too him that makes mine look small so my goal is to get one bigger than his or else i'm going to have find a new roomate...And i'm definatly keeping the meat, nothing like some good bear burgers.

hunter1947
03-02-2008, 07:10 AM
I will be going ,but it has to be a 7 footer ,or awful close one for me to shoot it ,I'm looking for a trophy size animal for a rug head. I will be using a cross bow to get one ,will be a challenge.

3kills
03-02-2008, 07:35 AM
this year i m going to try to get my brother inlaw onto his first bear...but for me it usually has to be a dam nice bear for me to pull the trigger but this time i think i m going to just drop a fair size one...

Gamebuster
03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm gonna hunt a big 'ol blockhead down

M.Dean
03-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I buy a tag every year but have never shot a bear, have shot them after the fact, but not for my self. I've seen some huge ones all different colors but don't really want a rug and don't eat the meat. It's a great excuse to go quading thought and pack your rifle!

Archer
03-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm going to try to get one with my bow in the foothills near Crowsnest Pass. Got my first Alberta bear last spring near Grande Prairie, with a rifle. I'll be trying for a decent sized bear, but basically any adult bear that I can put the sneak on will be fair game. My main objective will be meat, and a rug or half mount will be the next goal.

03-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Great to get out in the Spring waiting for the main season in the fall. After shooting a number of bears, I'm really looking for a good sized cinnamon. I won't harvest unless it's a good size ( 6 ft. or bigger ). Although, I will take a big black. Great sausage !! and marinated chops !! I would have the rug tanned if it were a biggin, but only mounted if HUGE ! Missed out again on Grizz LEH, been putting in since it's start, in a low/ratio area....still never get it. Just a reminder to every one going, look for a bore, study it when spotted for a while, you don't want to shoot any in company with another. Good luck every one, Mays a long way off.

tomahawk
03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Meat so I can make some sausage is the quest but if there's a book bear he won't survive.

The Hermit
03-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Meat, rug, 45.70 to back up the archery tackle!

03-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Meat for now, both the father in law and I love it.

sfire436
03-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Taking a new hunter out this year (best thing we as hunters can do) bear hunting. Figured the chances are great to get one. If I drop one with a nice pelt I will most likely get him tanned to a throw rug. As for the meat I will just jerky and sausage it.

showtimebc
03-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I got a grizz tag for the spring, so that is the #1 goal.

For Black Bear, looking to find one with a 20 inch skull.

frenchbar
03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Im not a bear hunter,but my son is itchin to take his first bear this spring. bears are a dime a dozen in reg 3. Theres a beauty copper ,reddish colored bear i seen a couple different times last yr that were going to go looking for:cool:

ROEBUCK
03-02-2008, 02:22 PM
meat bear first then hopefuly a nice trophy

bsa30-06
03-02-2008, 02:35 PM
With a few unsuccesful seasons in a row for any game it will be a meat hunt and i wont be picky....gotta bump this slump i'm in.

frenchbar
03-02-2008, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=bsa30-06;253096]With a few unsuccesful seasons in a row for any game it will be a meat hunt and i wont be picky....gotta bump this slump i'm in.[/QUOTE bsa.take a trip up the sea to sky hwy to duffy lk area up past pemberton to bump your slump,head up in middle of may.lots of blackies running around then .

bsa30-06
03-02-2008, 02:59 PM
[quote=bsa30-06;253096]With a few unsuccesful seasons in a row for any game it will be a meat hunt and i wont be picky....gotta bump this slump i'm in.[/QUOTE bsa.take a trip up the sea to sky hwy to duffy lk area up past pemberton to bump your slump,head up in middle of may.lots of blackies running around then .

My unsuccesful seasons are strictly my fault, i have passed on many bears in the lytton area, for varying reasons.......but i wont be doing that this year.Its time to put meat in the freezer....bears beware.I think i might try that area this year always wanted to get up there, its just never worked out.

bigwhiteys
03-02-2008, 03:44 PM
With a few unsuccesful seasons in a row for any game it will be a meat hunt and i wont be picky....gotta bump this slump i'm in.

Come to the island in May... Go home with 2 bears.

Carl

Kody94
03-02-2008, 03:53 PM
I'd like a 7fter, and my first bear with a bow. They don't have to be the same bear. :)

I also have a couple rifles that have yet to be "blooded", so will try for a second bear if I get one with my bow.

My freezer is still well stocked, so meat is secondary. Bear burger and sausage are welcome additions if I find a big boar or two though.

Wild one
03-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I will be bow hunting black bear.The first one don't matter on size because I am starting to crave bear meat.Second tag I am going to hold out for a big guy.If every thing goes good I should be looking for mister big in May on Vancouver island.

J_T
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
My preference is to hold out for a colour phase, but as the season progresses, I shift to "I'll take a big bear if it's black" and in the last week, I'll simply take a bear.

boyd050
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
haven't shot a bear in 20 years... seen way too many this past elk season so I think maybe there are a few too many;) and after reading about how good the sausage is I think I'll get one just to try it, not looking for a real big bear so shouldn't be too hard.... and another excuse to be hunting!!!

look out yogi here I come!!!

MOWITCH SLAYER
03-02-2008, 07:45 PM
i well be out looking for a boar that well give me a good skull measurement, the meat we go to sausage, i had two different rugs but they take up a lot of room, so i passed them on to my brother , they do look nice though

pupper
03-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I would like a 7' or 19" skull

Elkhound
03-02-2008, 08:11 PM

LMAO......Lloyd just doesn't want kids and pregnant people to shoot more animals than him this year:lol:

wlbc
03-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Have my eyes on a pumpkin head, he should go over 7 feet....I'll be waiting when the snow clears.

Garlic sausage, pepperoni, and breakfast sausage - yes!

308BAR
03-03-2008, 12:24 AM
I'll love to have some pepperoni made, I keep on hearing about it and I've always want to try it. Also I want to try out my 9.3x62 that I've been working on, test out the performance. Hopefully I could get it finish by the end of the month.

I'm also hoping if I'm luck to really find a melon head and have a rug and a euro mount done.

kishman
03-03-2008, 05:58 AM
I'll be out looking for my first Bear this spring as well. Mainly intrested in sausage and getting the Skull mounted, if finances permit a rug would be kick a$$ as well.

martyonthewater
03-03-2008, 07:01 AM
I'll be going for a meat boar this spring but will likely have the rug tanned as well, see you in the bush

springpin
03-03-2008, 09:25 AM
For myself, it'll be a meat bear, anything else is a bonus.

highcountry88
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
For me and my kids, waiting for the fall hunting is just too long to wait.....we just have to hunt something in the in spring.....secondly, we like the sausage and thirdly, there is hardly ever any hunting pressure compared to the fall hunting season.

boonerbuck
03-04-2008, 03:11 PM
It's a grizz hunt this year but I'll be keeping my eyes open for a super sized black. The area I have doesnt seem to have much color variation but big heads and rugs a plenty there. I think I'll bring my bow. The size requirement comes down somewhat for me then.

I don't see the poll?:-?