PDA

View Full Version : Snare wire info sought

Clam
02-29-2008, 06:19 PM
What is the best type of wire to use for construction of snares for small game in SW BC? I have been told stainless steel and have also been told no, no, no it must be brass.
What say you who have more experience than I?

johnes50
02-29-2008, 08:01 PM
This might help.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11318

Will
02-29-2008, 11:19 PM
What is the best type of wire to use for construction of snares for small game in SW BC? I have been told stainless steel and have also been told no, no, no it must be brass.
What say you who have more experience than I?
I'm sure either would work.....brass is abit more "maleable" and may tighten up easier ? Never tried stainless wire.....might be too "stiff"

Just be sure since your in BC it's made from 20 gauge or smaller wire and NO braided types....unless you're a licensed Trapper. :smile:

martyonthewater
03-01-2008, 10:08 AM
I have found .016 or .020 stainless lockwire to be plenty good for rabbits and such.

.308win
03-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Snared for years back in Newfie, best wire I found to work was the 16 or 20 guage stainless. Remember if it gets a tight twist or "kink" in the snare, chuck it out, it will break at that point if you use it again! Good luck!!

Perry

BCBear
03-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Back in my Alberta days mid 80's in South Cooking Lake I used the brass line for snaring snowshoes. I got it directly from a trap shop somewhere in Edmonton when I could hitch a ride with someone. Had good success with only a few problems, such as placing the loop off the center of the path or making it too small. Never ate those ones only the ones I shot. Didn't feel comfy eating the snared ones. Used to be quite content at school or doing chores at home knowing that I was still hunting even though I wasn't actually out in the bush at the moment. Another thing that I appreciate was my dad's rule about the trapping. There were two of them first you check the whole line daily and second learn taxidermy. I was out evceryday and though I didn't actually formally learn taxi I tried with what I could afford on a 15 yrs old's allowance...bought my racks and borax, skins didn't last too long, after a year or two the snowshoes in my collections started losing their fur. Good times that many kids today don't get a chance at.

Gnarly
03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Brass is what you want. locks up on itself easily and is also easy to straighten . One fist in diameter one fist off the ground for bunnies

steelheadSABO
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
if you go to your local sport shop they should have snare wire in the survival section for about $2 good for rabbits and things

Wolfman
03-03-2008, 06:41 PM
This might help.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=11318

That's a neat site

Wolfman

Clam
03-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the info. :D
It looks as though the steel vs brass debate still goes on.
Maybe I should get both and test them...