PDA

View Full Version : Archery ?

LeverActionJunkie
02-28-2008, 11:32 PM
I was wondering if you guys could help me with a couple questions I've got. I'm beginning to get quite interested in Bowhunting, and I'm leaning towards the traditional side, is this a silly way to get started? I had a compound before but never really got into it back then and let it go. Something about traditional archery that really calls to me.

What should a guy look for in a trad bow? What size and draw weight should a guy look to start at? or what is needed for hunting game? Can anyone recommend some quality reading and or DVD's that would help a guy learn to accurately shoot a trad bow? As well as info on care and maintenance?

I realize that this would be a big leap from hunting with a rifle to a traditional bow, and I may not be able to run right out this season be successful, or even competent enough to try. But I am interested in giving it a go and appreciate any help i can get. Thanks in advance.

The Hermit
02-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I have been making the same transition for the past year. I started with the compound but realized right away that with the fiber-optic sights and high tech mechanical releases etc they are really easy to use with deadly accuracy... took me less than an hour to be able to consistently hit a 6 inch target out to 20 yards. Not much of a challenge if you ever used open sights on a gun cause the sight picture is about the same.

Don't get me wrong I am no expert shooter with the compound and most of the archers here could shoot rings around me in target shooting. Just saying that for hunting purposes a guy can get in the kill zone with little practice. The he real challenge is to get within that 20 yards on your prey and the compound will help get blood on your arrows sooner!

I have borrowed a recurve to practice with and ordered a Chek-Mate Take Down Hunter 11 from WindFeather here in BC. Shooting the traditional style bows is much more demanding and is taking me considerable practice to even hit the whole four foot target at 20 yards! LOL Getting closer to consistently hitting a 12 inch target at closer ranges out to 15 yards now after days of practice! Way more fun! :-)

Regardless of your tackle be it a trad bow, compound or XBow, I would highly recommend that you take the International Bowhunter Education Program as soon as possible. Contact Ted Kennedy at the BC Archery Association to find out when and where the next available course is being held. The course will get you acquainted with the basics of everything you need to know.

BTW my compound package is for sale or trade on a Marlin Stainless Guide in 45.70 if you are interested... see the for sale forum.

Monashee
02-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I've been shooting a bow for over 30 years , started with a recurve , went to a compound for a couple of years then back to the simplicity of the recurve.

As enjoyable as shooting a bow is , more importantly is the getting to know other archers , especially the serious recurve target archers . These fellows have just an incredible amount of knowledge. The average bow weight these guys use is 38# at their drawlength.

For your first recurve start with one around 30 -35 lbs for a man.

You want to develop good technique and become a good reliable shot... that won't happen with a heavier bow. This should be stamped on every beginning archers forehead!

If you have an average draw length bows from 62-66" long are the way to go. Longer bows have less finger pinch and are smoother shooting. You don't need a new bow or an expensive one. Get decent arrows matched to your bow.

Should you decide to hunt with a recurve bow realize that it is a short range business , 20 - 25 yards is the limit for ethical hunting. A 45lb draw weight at your draw length with a two blade cut on impact broadhead will kill anything on the continent. Broadhead tipped arrows have great deal of penetration , they kill animals by hemorrhage and if both lungs are hit , death happens quickly. If a poor hit is suspected then you wait 30 minutes to give the animal a chance to bed down nearby rather than chase it only to have it run away and die unrecovered.

For bison in BC 50lbs is the minimum draw weight.

Thunderstix
02-29-2008, 06:31 AM
It is weird but the natural progression in archery is to start compound, and then pick up a bent stick and fall in love. Never once did I see other compounds and think, "man I would love to have that on my wall with my collection", but now......I could spend a lot of money putting recurves and longbows on my wall!

Thunderstix
02-29-2008, 06:33 AM
oops! Lok up Fred G. Asbel as he has some good stuff on Trad shooting. Also, B. Ferguson's "Become the Arrow".

sealevel
02-29-2008, 07:48 AM
LAJ i am just starting down that trad road . I don`t think i will give up compounds . And what was recommended was a light bow to start. I got a hold of a 37lb checkmate. Then i got a couple DVDs called mastering the art of the longbow 1&2 . Just explains the different ways of aiming. I found them really helpful .

Onesock
02-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Great to have you aboard Mr Junkie. If i were you I would be looking for a recurve in the 45-50 lb range. As someone here suggested books or videos by Freb Asbell are good starting points. Better yet would be to get in contact with a couple of stick shooters in your area and get first hand knowledge. The Traditional Bowhunters of BC are having their provincial championship 3-D shoot on the May long weekend in Keremeos. It would probably be of great value to stop in for a day or so. I am sure the guys there may let you shoot a couple of bows and Windfeather (Mont) will be there to perhaps sell you a bow. Hope to see you there.

Sideofabarn
02-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Another vote here for G Fred Asbell. I have his instinctive shooting book, and pore over it often. I have a takedown recurve that I mess around with, it is listed at 45#. Macho heroes probably want you to go heavy, but there's no real point to it. I had the chance to try both recurves and longbows, and found I preferred the recurve, and as you will find, to each their own. As others have said, hang around with other trad guys, and you'll learn a bunch of stuff. To whet your appetite, go to a newsstand and pick up a copy of traditional bowhunter, or if you're thinking more hard core, primitive archer. TB just had a neat two part series on arrow lethality. It seems to be one of the more informative mags out there.

OOBuck
02-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Funny, I think I'm doing this backwards... After sooting bear-bow all my life I have finally installed sights & gone to a release on my new bow.. As the hermit was saying it is almost too easy... But I feel I owe it to the animal to be as accurate as I can possibly be..

J_T
02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
00Buck,

I agree, as bowhunters we do owe it to the animal.

I restrict my range with my recurve on animals. Pass up what appear to be some great close shots, but don't take them. Keep my yardage under 20.

Wise words from Monashee.

I too started with the G.Fred style.

LRJ,
The TBBC Championships is in Keremeos. This is more of a wall tent/stickbow rendezvous than a competition. Focus is on kids, camraderie and tons of fun. There is a wealth of our heritage at the event. It's not far from Kamloops. You might want to consider attending. I don't think you would regret it.

I started with a recurve about 18 years ago and dropped the rifle immediately, never looked back. My hunt is far more complete now. Just something about the simplicity of a recurve and the primitive approach to pursuing the animal.

I shot my first compound (Hermit's) last August.

I'm sure as I age I will need to go to the compound as my ability to pull a sufficient bow weight on my recurve drops off.

Onesock
02-29-2008, 11:49 AM
OOBuck- If sights make you more comfortable by all means use them. I only caution you to not increase your range on real animals because you can hit a target at 40 yds. Have fun!!!!

LeverActionJunkie
02-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it. I'll try and get my hands on the books and DVD's recommended. I will have to try and get down to Keremeos if for nothing less than the fact I love that area.

Would you say that starting with a 45# bow would be getting the cart too far ahead of the horse? I would like to start low enough to learn the proper techniques but also be ethical for hunting big game.

The extremely short yardages, along with the history, and required skill are what draw me to this activity. Last year I stalked into 10-15yrds on a little 2pt while hunting the timber with my 45/70, and though i didn't shoot it the feeling matched that of harvesting one of my first deer. It was addicting and I practiced it every chance I got.

Onesock
02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Do you have any idea what your draw lenght is? 45lbs at 28inch is only 40lbs at 26inches. I don't think 45lbs is too heavy to start.

LeverActionJunkie
02-29-2008, 12:16 PM
No I am not sure of my draw length, I must admit I am so new to this that I find cattle following me around :)

OOBuck
02-29-2008, 12:21 PM
OOBuck- If sights make you more comfortable by all means use them. I only caution you to not increase your range on real animals because you can hit a target at 40 yds. Have fun!!!!

20 yards is about max for me... ;)

Mooseman
02-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome to the dark side !!!

Onesock
02-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Mooseman- You are still alive. Haven't heard from you for a long time. Will you make it to Keremeos this year or will you be bear huntin.

J_T
02-29-2008, 12:52 PM
LAJ

Last year I stalked into 10-15yrds on a little 2pt while hunting Now you will have the added excitement of factoring in body angle and your movement to take the shot. (Has anyone mentioned they can hear your heartbeat at that range)

Depending on your size/age you should find 45# plenty easy, and you will want to move up quickly. Perhaps borrow a 45# for a short stint, and then move up. If you are a full grown adult male, under 50 yrs of age you should be able to handle a 55# for hunting.

Monashee
02-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Depending on your size/age you should find 45# plenty easy, and you will want to move up quickly. Perhaps borrow a 45# for a short stint, and then move up. If you are a full grown adult male, under 50 yrs of age you should be able to handle a 55# for hunting.

Do you seriously think a beginner should start with a 45# bow ? Shooting a bow accurately at the best of times is a challenge , let alone a beginner whose ligaments and muscles are unused to shooting a bow.

I really think you are doing a disservice telling someone what is a manly bow weight to shoot.

Onesock
02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
I think, as JT has described, an adult male should be able to start with 45lbs quite easily. Now if we are talking a teenager or youngster I would suggest 30lbs and they would move up fairly quickly..

J_T
02-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, "seriously" might be a bit strong. I'd probably go with "whatever he can come up with" but to purchase a 45# bow as an adult male, he'll be looking for another bow in a week.

Whatever works. I've exposed a lot of people to archery (from 4 years old to 60) and I provided my opinion based on my experience. Truth, a 45# bow is not going to be detrimental to any adult male that is in any kind of shape.

I never worried about accuracy when starting someone out. I worried about fun.

sealevel
02-29-2008, 04:30 PM
The guy that advised me . said starting out with a heavy bow made for bad habbets !! He called me bull headed when i wanted to buy a 55 lber . Even though i shoot a 70 lb compound . Now i am glad to be shooting 37lbs i am learning to aim. I am useing the gap method of shooting . I tried all metheds of holding i like the 3 under. So i would say get a light bow and learn to shoot properly. Then get a heavier one.

Will
02-29-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm leaning towards the traditional side, is this a silly way to get started?
Absolutely not ! Plenty of folks around that started out with Trad Bows and for alot of them it's the only way to go !

Get out there and give er a Go ! You will not be sorry :wink:

Mooseman
02-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Mooseman- You are still alive. Haven't heard from you for a long time. Will you make it to Keremeos this year or will you be bear huntin.

Hi Onesock, I know :icon_frow......it has been "bad busy" for me and will be for a while.
When is Keremeos? My bear hunts start May 1st and end June 8th. After that I plan to drive to the traditional Compton Shoot in Berien Springs Michigan with the family.

LeverActionJunkie
03-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent bow too look out for on the used market? I figured if I go used at first I can get into shooting form and using proper techniques and then buy myself a nice quality bow once I'm hooked :) I am leaning towards a recurve but for no real reason aside from taste.

J_T
03-01-2008, 05:31 PM
You can meet all three of your requirements in one bow. Chek-Mate.

Call Wind Feather Archery Traditions 250 426-8565. He's got some used bows in as well. You can't go wrong with the quality and performance of BC made Chek-mate traditional bows. Most trad shooters in BC shoot Chek-mate.

Grantmac
03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
You could always make a bow. I mean in all seriousness it doesn't take much to have a nice workable bow in the 30-40lbs range and if you find that you need more then it just a few more wood shavings away.
Otherwise I would have to recommend Chek-mate as well, my friend has one of their flatbows and it is for the most part a pleasure to shoot.
Cheers,
Grant

LeverActionJunkie
03-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks much appreciated. I will have to check them out no pun intended :)

gitnadoix
03-02-2008, 11:49 AM
There has been a few comments about what weight to start with, that IMHO, is going to be a decision based soley on your circumstances. For all we know you could bare-hand wrestle grizzly for fun on the week ends. Myself I picked up a second hand Chekmate Crusader longbow at 56lbs 3 years ago. Before that I had not shot a bow for over 36 years, and then it was a 12 pound glass kiddie bow. Now I have 3 longbows all the same weight model and make, (yes I know, "my name is gitnadoix and I have a problem") My wife shoots the same bow at 41 lbs. Neither one of us is big and have no probs with these weights. Find a shop that will let you try various bows and weights, or your local club, and then go from their.

You probably have seen how some rifles just come up to your shoulder like they were ment to be there on you, I bet you will find t will be the same with bows.