PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading the ol hunting boots

Brambles
02-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Well I'm thinking seriously about upgrading my hunting boots and keeping my current ones as backup.

I've been using Kaylands and they have worked well but I think there are boots out there that would meet my needs better.

Done a bunch of Searching on the site and the List looks like this, not in any particular order.

Hanwag Alaskan GTX

Lowa sheep hunter GTX

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme

Honestly I don't think I could go wrong with any of these boots, If I was to just pick one without researching I'd pick the Hanwags, but those Kenetreks are definitly something to consider plus they are endorsed by some big time hunters Like Ryan Hatch and David Long, lots of testimonials on their website by guides and hunters alike.

The Kenetreks come in 3 different insulations
1000, 400, and none What do you figure for insulation, they are going to be used hunting all season so Aug 1 to Nov 30.

Lots of guys got the lowa boots last year, I'm sure some have the hanwags and Kenetreks too. Lets here some opinions.

Thanks

Brambles

bigwhiteys
02-28-2008, 09:06 PM
I've put a lot of miles on my Hanwag Alaska Trappers now and I don't think I'll be switching to anything else anytime soon. They are very nice boots. Highly recommend.

Carl

Brambles
02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Carl

Are yours the Alaska GTX or the Trapper GTX

Can't find an Alaska Trapper??

Trapper

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://www.hanwag.de&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

Alaska

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http://www.hanwag.de&langpair=de|en&hl=en&ie=UTF8

bigwhiteys
02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Trapper GTX - High Top.

Carl

Brambles
03-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Anyone know how much are the Lowa's

So far the prices on the
Hanwags $319
Kenetreks $325

Come on guys, lay it out

Brambles
03-01-2008, 09:29 AM
looks like usa pricing is $295 from schnees

BCrams
03-01-2008, 09:45 AM
You can also pick up the Lowa's cheaper from a store in Oregon, I forget exact cost but it came to just over 200. Half of what you pay for Hanwags, but I was impressed with them.

That said, The Hanwag Trappers is my number 1 choice as I owned a pair previously.

I also had the Alaska GTX and no problems there either. They're slightly lower cut. But a big guy like you, I would lean more towards the Hanwag Trappers.

bigwhiteys
03-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Careful on importing any boots into Canada... For example boots made in Germany coming into Canada will incurr a 20% tariff.

Ask me how I know...!

Carl

Brambles
03-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Careful on importing any boots into Canada... For example boots made in Germany coming into Canada will incurr a 20% tariff.

Ask me how I know...!

Carl

I remember you saying you got a rather nasty bill:?

The Hanwag Alaska GTX and the Kenetreks are from canadian suppliers, I haven't found a lowa supplier online yet but its only time till I do:wink:

Brambles
03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
You can also pick up the Lowa's cheaper from a store in Oregon, I forget exact cost but it came to just over 200. Half of what you pay for Hanwags, but I was impressed with them.

That said, The Hanwag Trappers is my number 1 choice as I owned a pair previously.

I also had the Alaska GTX and no problems there either. They're slightly lower cut. But a big guy like you, I would lean more towards the Hanwag Trappers.

Is that because the trappers are 10" and the alaskas are 8 ish?

My current boots are lower too and all my work boots are 8" what advantages/disadvantages are there to going with a 10" boot?

kutenay
03-02-2008, 06:24 AM
I have and have had a LOT of mountain boots and my choice here would be Hanwags first, IF, they fit you. Lowa quality has seriously declined recently and that is a shame as they were among the finest boots made for decades. NONE of the German-Austrian-Swiss boots are even close to what they once were, sad to say and Italian boots, such as the once superb Scarpas are also much pooer than even in 2001, when I retired from being a boot fitter.

I would look seriously at Kenetreks, will buy a pair in the future and have gaiters from them, now. They are excellent to deal with and I would NEVER wear an insulated boot in B.C. hunting, except rubber-bottomed pacs, from Hoffmans. If, you MUST get insulated boots, buy the 400 gr. version and, even then, you will find that keeping them dry is a royal pita.

I hoard my best leather boots, Kastingers, Scarpas, custom Van Gorkums for serious hunting and longterm backpacking and wear other boots for daily use. I suggest looking into Vibergs and Hoffman's as well. Monod Sports in Banff and Track'n'Trail in Edmonton also have Hanwags.

sealevel
03-02-2008, 07:15 AM
I would say get a pair of vibergs made in victoria . Good support if you only wear them for hunting should last a lifetime. With proper care i have gotten 5 years out of there caulk boots . And thats working on sidehills that would scare any sheep hunter.

dana
03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Viberg's quality has gone downhill ever since the divorce. I personally would be hesitant buying another pair, as sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.
Thus far, I have to say the Lowa's have been the best boots I've ever owned. I have worn my Sheep Hunter's pretty much daily for the last 2 years. Even as a winter boot on the snowshoes. I'm in the need of another pair now, but when it comes to extreme use, I definately put them through it. The stitching holds up amazingly. After 2 years of consistant abuse I am walking on bald tread is all. ;-)

kennyj
03-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Ive been wearing Schnees 10'' Hunter boots for about 8 years now and they're only boot I'll ever wear.They're totally water proof and the removable liner allows any perspiration to dry every day.
Ken

sfire436
03-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I've had my Danners for 8 seasons this spring. Still going strong.

kutenay
03-02-2008, 04:30 PM
I also have Schnee's from 1991 and seldom need them, but, they ARE the best pack boots I have had of quite a few pairs. However, they no longer have the hard heel counters as they once did and since Schnee's sold out a few years back, the new ones seem not quite as well made.

Take a look at Hoffman's boots out of Idaho, these have an excellent reputation and are one of the few old family style operations now surviving. I used to buy two pairs of highend mountain boots about every 18 months and one light hiker as well, I wore these constantly, for everything, including fighting fire, slash burning, college and even serious beer drinking, good boots are absolutely necessary and they don't come cheap.

Some guys seem to do well with Cabela's boots and the older Meindls were pretty good, the newer Glockner is a favourite of a friend of mine with mucho international climbing-hunting experience...but, he has a good job and NO kids to feed! I like the old Meindl Perfekt and may get one last pair someday, I have put a LOT of miles on these.

I have also heard that Viberg's are not what they were, it is SO hard to find really good boots now, not like the '70s.

dana
03-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Koot,
I was fortunate to find a mint condition pair of Heads this fall in a thrift store. Do you remember them? A couple of Italians brothers that hand made customize boots for about 50 years in Vancouver. The leather work is simply amazing. I've been told that they stopped making boots over 25 years ago. All I can think is that some widow must have got rid of her late husband's old logging boots as to the reason I found them in mint condition in Value Village.

rocksteady
03-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I like my Mendels 10" top - about $550

Buck
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I really liked my Meindle Canadas but my feet have gotten Flatter with age too bad their Quality has gone down they were great boots.Will look at the other boots listed good thread .
I will be in Boise Idaho in April anywhere i might see some of these boots ?

Iltasyuko
03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
What are the recurring quality issues with the Lowa and Meindl boots?

browning
03-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Could somebody post an address where they got hanwags from. Curious about prices and shipping . Thanks

ibehuntin
03-03-2008, 12:36 AM
I now use meindle alaskas from cabelas and love them, They are awsome, I would buy another pair in a second. My last pair of boots were danners and I will never buy another pair as they had very little support, and the heal cups break leaving heal hanging out over the sole. I also would stay away from Lowas, I have a friend who bought a pair and with in a month the rubber above the sole started pealing bad. He returned the boots for repair and the sent them back gobbed with shoe goo.(not pretty)

kutenay
03-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Ah, Head's boots, takes me back many moons. They WERE super boots and I always meant to get a pair, but, Dayton's were so much more available when I was young. They are a relic of a vanished B.C. and you are lucky to have found them.

Some Meindls now seem to have far lower quality leather then they used to have. The Lowas I have recently seen here in Vancity are made in Romania and the stitching is nowhere close to what the older German-made ones had. Wages are SO high in Germany that they cannot make boots there of the quality they used to as consumers won't pay the retail prices needed to make a profit.

Brambles
03-03-2008, 08:03 AM
I do like the looks of the Kenetrek gaiters and intend on purchasing a couple pairs, although my OR ones are top notch, they are fairly noisy in the underbrush.

Any word if the hanwag quality is going south too, Lowa and Hanwag are owned by brothers who had a difference of opinion and parted ways creating their own companies

Lothar Wagner (Lowa)
Hans Wagner (Hanwag)

Wish their was more talk about the kenetreks, I would like to hear more about them, they almost look like you could resole them too.

Kuteny, whats the lowest temp would you use a non insulated boot? I plan on using the boot for all my hunting so versatility is best in my case, and I'm not sure how they line the inside of the non insulated ones but my work boots are just raw leather on the inside and I prefer a fabric lining or a padded swede for comfort

kutenay
03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Roughly 0*F to -10*F, then I like pacs. I am pretty cold-tolerant and have worn Meindl climbing boots to ski into Kokanee Glacier from the highway.solo, in January.

I do NOT like the insulated boots as they are prone to making my feet sweat and I prefer an overboot to insulated boots. YMMV, of course.

calvin L
03-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I just Looked at 2 differnet boots from the same make Diotto boot made in italy The one in a full leather boot the other one in a full leather with covering of what feels and looks like a rino guard . They are very comfortable . Both of the boot. Has anyone used them ? I have a buddy with the leather ones but not enough mile to give a report . Have you looked at them brambles ? I know they are selling well in grandprairie

Calvin L

Brambles
03-04-2008, 06:12 PM
Roughly 0*F to -10*F, then I like pacs. I am pretty cold-tolerant and have worn Meindl climbing boots to ski into Kokanee Glacier from the highway.solo, in January.

I do NOT like the insulated boots as they are prone to making my feet sweat and I prefer an overboot to insulated boots. YMMV, of course.

What is YMMV??

The Dawg
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
What is YMMV??

Your Mileage May Vary

Brambles
03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Have you looked at them brambles ? I know they are selling well in grandprairie

Calvin L

Nope, haven't seen them before!

Brambles
04-11-2008, 04:52 PM
Update!

Chose the Hanwags, arrived today... now to put them through their paces.

Look good though

MattB
04-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Hopefully they last longer than the meindls. I switched from meindls to lowa and theyve lasted me so far, but i havent put them thru a summers work yet.

ElectricDyck
02-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Any updates on the hanwags? I was thinking of getting some as well. I haven't seen the trappers anywhere, just the Alaskans. Are the Alaskans insulated? If so what do they compare to a thinsulate level? I'm looking for something with little to none, as I have a problem with wet boots form sweat. Where did you get them? I was thinking of ordering from mono pod sports in banff, they got free shipping.

Brambles
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Any updates on the hanwags? I was thinking of getting some as well. I haven't seen the trappers anywhere, just the Alaskans. Are the Alaskans insulated? If so what do they compare to a thinsulate level? I'm looking for something with little to none, as I have a problem with wet boots form sweat. Where did you get them? I was thinking of ordering from mono pod sports in banff, they got free shipping.

I bought the hanwags, good boot, I don't believe they are insulated, but my feet haven't got really cold in them in the winter, as long as I keep moving and not standing in a crapload of snow my feet stay toasty warm. In the early season I find them very comfortable as well.

The Alaska GTX from Monod's sports in Banff is where I bought mine.

They have a great rocker sole, roll real nice, extremely comfortable out of the box, best feeling out of the box boot I've ever ever ever used.

Not crazy stiff but more than enough support for sheep hunting. My feet don't get wet from the outside in or inside out.

As long as you treat them well I believe they will treat you well, keep them waxed and don't dry them by the campfire.

waistdeep
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
I got a pair of Hanwags from Banff and they are the best boot that I have owned. Good fit after the first weekend of hiking, none insulated yet dry and great support. Not for use on concrete walking as the sole is to stiff for that but put them to work in the wild and that is where they shine.

Brambles
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I got a pair of Hanwags from Banff and they are the best boot that I have owned. Good fit after the first weekend of hiking, none insulated yet dry and great support. Not for use on concrete walking as the sole is to stiff for that but put them to work in the wild and that is where they shine.

I find that the Alaska GTX hanwags are great for walking around town, the soles roll real well on hardpack. Not clunky like the mountaineering style soles. Just my observations of course.

BCrams
02-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I've had the Alaska GTX and they're a great 'all around' boot you could wear anywhere.

The Hanwag trapper tops on the other hand, I only used for mountain hunts / hiking in the mountiains etc.

bigwhiteys
02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
The trapper tops are what I have... Great for mountain hunting, the quality is evident when comparing them to other similar boots.

What are you guys waxing your Hanwags with...? I have the G-Wax that came with mine, but don't know what's best.

Carl

waistdeep
02-23-2009, 05:07 PM
I must have the trappers as well, there may be a difference on the GTX? I know mine are not the tall model ..8" ?? I am using the Danner conditioner that I still have from my last worn out pair of Danners.

ElectricDyck
02-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I bought the hanwags, good boot, I don't believe they are insulated, but my feet haven't got really cold in them in the winter, as long as I keep moving and not standing in a crapload of snow my feet stay toasty warm. In the early season I find them very comfortable as well.

The Alaska GTX from Monod's sports in Banff is where I bought mine.

They have a great rocker sole, roll real nice, extremely comfortable out of the box, best feeling out of the box boot I've ever ever ever used.

Not crazy stiff but more than enough support for sheep hunting. My feet don't get wet from the outside in or inside out.

As long as you treat them well I believe they will treat you well, keep them waxed and don't dry them by the campfire.

Cool, thanks!

open-sights
02-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Kenetrek is quickly becoming an industry favorite, I have a pair of the Cowboy's on the way for pack in horse trips and already own a MTN hiker. Love them.

brenden
02-24-2009, 12:06 PM
I had two pairs of viberg lineman boots for work and they both fell apart. They are not made like they used to be. For hunting and any outdoor activity I wear meindl canada pro and makalu pro. Absolutely love them! I've had scarpa, gronnel, asolo (total junk), lowa, and several other high end european boots and the meindl's are the best IMHO. I have been tempted to try Kenetrek but I'm so happy with meindl....??? why switch?

Brenden

HD95
02-24-2009, 05:27 PM
The trapper tops are what I have... Great for mountain hunting, the quality is evident when comparing them to other similar boots.

What are you guys waxing your Hanwags with...? I have the G-Wax that came with mine, but don't know what's best.

Carl
Carl,Kenetrek recommends using Nikwax only on their boots,I imagine this would be a safe bet for your Hanwags...Bob

6.5-284
02-24-2009, 06:00 PM
I used Nixwax paste on my Meindles but had a salesman tell me that the paste plugs up the pores of the leather and does not let it breathe. I believe that to be fact. The paste is great for creating a water-proof barrier but you lose the breathibilty of the leather/gore-tex. He recommended Nixwax for Nubuck leather which is a liquid silicone. It water-proofs the leather but still allows the boots to breathe--so he says. I just got a pair of Hanwag Alaskas and treated them with the liquid not the wax. I will have to wait and see if it does as good a job as the wax paste.

BTW, the Hanwags fit pretty good out of the box. My only concern is they are not as stiff around the heal/ankle area as the Meindles. If I was a big dude I am not sure that they would provide the necessary support for sidehilling with weight as a stiffer boot. (I only weigh 155 soaking wet). Time will tell if they are going to hold up. I am hoping that the leather does not soften up too much as they continue to have miles put on them. Any advice from backpack hunters who have put the Alaska through the paces?

I also heard good things about the Scarpa Liskamm boot. Hope this helps.

HD95
02-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I used Nixwax paste on my Meindles but had a salesman tell me that the paste plugs up the pores of the leather and does not let it breathe. I believe that to be fact. The paste is great for creating a water-proof barrier but you lose the breathibilty of the leather/gore-tex. He recommended Nixwax for Nubuck leather which is a liquid silicone. It water-proofs the leather but still allows the boots to breathe--so he says. I just got a pair of Hanwag Alaskas and treated them with the liquid not the wax. I will have to wait and see if it does as good a job as the wax paste.

BTW, the Hanwags fit pretty good out of the box. My only concern is they are not as stiff around the heal/ankle area as the Meindles. If I was a big dude I am not sure that they would provide the necessary support for sidehilling with weight as a stiffer boot. (I only weigh 155 soaking wet). Time will tell if they are going to hold up. I am hoping that the leather does not soften up too much as they continue to have miles put on them. Any advice from backpack hunters who have put the Alaska through the paces?

I also heard good things about the Scarpa Liskamm boot. Hope this helps.
NIKWAX AQUEOUS WAX (http://www.kenetrek.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NX-751)NIKWAX boot dressings are great for keeping your leather boots conditioned and waterproof without reducing the breathability or causing the leather to oversoften or stretch.
Just passing along what the boot manufacterer recommends....

kevin_dahl
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
have u looked at irish setters? ive got a pair(cant remember which ones) and i love them. so damn comfy i could wear em to bed

Johnnybear
02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
have u looked at irish setters? ive got a pair(cant remember which ones) and i love them. so damn comfy i could wear em to bed

Yeah I have the Elk hunters in all leather and they are like wearing slippers:D. I've had them a few seasons now. I treat them with Dubin twice a year and they still look great. Good leather on em. They are a bit too warm in the early season. I wear my Baffin 3/4 duck shoes in the early season and all year casually. I wear wool socks year round. Hate cold feet.

Singleshotneeded
03-01-2009, 01:59 PM
:smile: I have a pair of Danners that I've used for many years, they have a knobby tread with some give to it, and this tread gives them excellent traction on ice or rock. Very durable, and they have a waterproof Gore-tex lining as well...

ElectricDyck
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
I ordered the hanwag alaska gtx from monod sports. Free shipping and no pst, came to $346. Shipping was 3 days to my local post office. I measured my feet as per instructions off their website and they fit great. I've only walked around town with them on so far, but they feel great. So far so good. Thanks everyone for the input.

They didn't come with any care instructions....do you have to treat them before you take them out?

Brambles
03-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I ordered the hanwag alaska gtx from monod sports. Free shipping and no pst, came to $346. Shipping was 3 days to my local post office. I measured my feet as per instructions off their website and they fit great. I've only walked around town with them on so far, but they feel great. So far so good. Thanks everyone for the input.

They didn't come with any care instructions....do you have to treat them before you take them out?

I use that Granger liquid wax for nubuck and suede, put 2-3 coats on every once and a while. Keeps em looking good and waterproof

Sprig
03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Could someone tell me what width the Hanwag Alaska GTX boots are . I can't find any info on the width .
Thanks Todd

ElectricDyck
03-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Not sure..........my feet are average to narrow and they fit well if that helps. I don't imagine they would fit a wider foot.

Sprig
03-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks ED , I guess I'll have to go with the Lowa Tibet GTX . They come in a EE width . My Meindl Glockners are a D width and they are too narrow for me .