PDA

View Full Version : spring grizzy bear hunting

358mag
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
who has used a quad or argo with tracks ???? how the work in the early spring snow + slides in the back country , any input out there ????

Barracuda
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
I think rock doc is the one to talk to on that one. I believe he has a couple of argos with tracks

kgriz
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
BE VERY CAREFUL USING AN ARGO WITH TRACKS!!!!!
The spot I hunt has a really crappy high snow section on the road and is always a hassle. I asked the CO's and a biologist at the Prince George office and their interpretation a few years ago ( although I adimately disagree:mad:), was that a tracked argo meets the definition of a snowmobile :

Snowmobile

- means a vehicle designed

primarily for travel on snow or ice, having one
or more steering skis, self propelled and using
one or more endless belts or tracks driven in
contact with the ground.

I disagree because it states that it needs steering skis but they were pretty pissy about it when I tried to argue. Anyways I just waited until the big boy came out of the ugly area and I plowed him on the road:grin:.
The biologist stated that they did not want people to be able to easily access the alpine denning sites with tracked vehicles and "easily" get a bear. I promised that I would tie one arm behind my back but that didn't seem to convince anybody:roll:. Anybody who thinks that travel on spring snow is "easy" in anything short of a tank has never been caught in late-afternoon snow that changed from concete to slop in a few hours! I'm not saying that everybody would be as lame as this example, just warning you of what happened here.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 10:43 AM
BE VERY CAREFUL USING AN ARGO WITH TRACKS!!!!!
The spot I hunt has a really crappy high snow section on the road and is always a hassle. I asked the CO's and a biologist at the Prince George office and their interpretation a few years ago ( although I adimately disagree:mad:), was that a tracked argo meets the definition of a snowmobile :

Snowmobile

- means a vehicle designed

primarily for travel on snow or ice, having one
or more steering skis, self propelled and using
one or more endless belts or tracks driven in
contact with the ground.

I disagree because it states that it needs steering skis but they were pretty pissy about it when I tried to argue. Anyways I just waited until the big boy came out of the ugly area and I plowed him on the road:grin:.
The biologist stated that they did not want people to be able to easily access the alpine denning sites with tracked vehicles and "easily" get a bear. I promised that I would tie one arm behind my back but that didn't seem to convince anybody:roll:. Anybody who thinks that travel on spring snow is "easy" in anything short of a tank has never been caught in late-afternoon snow that changed from concete to slop in a few hours! I'm not saying that everybody would be as lame as this example, just warning you of what happened here.

I agree with your interpretation of a snowmobile.
No ski(s)= NO snowmobile.

It's funny how some CO's interperate regs and rules differently. Legally you would have been fine. Damn bears aren't hanging around their dens much once spring rolls around, anyhow.:roll:

SSS

Kitimat Killer
02-28-2008, 12:27 PM
here is a two clips on a griz 700 on tracks that my friend has they go any where you want them too
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gma-x07-hKY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kuxjJgzmr8Y

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 12:40 PM
BTW - You'll need some power to push them. 700 is good...800 is better......don't know if a 600 is enough??

SSS

Kitimat Killer
02-28-2008, 12:42 PM
BTW - You'll need some power to push them. 700 is good...800 is better......don't know if a 600 is enough??

SSS
600 is good sss a friend also has one on a honda 500 and still lots of go but the bigger ones are better thats why i think im going to upgrade to the 700 just to get tracks for late season goat hunting up here and early season bear tuns of snow up in this area

Pioneerman
02-28-2008, 02:36 PM
You can run tracks on a smaller machine even as small as 350 cc. but I always suggest that people use at least a 500 cc machine and that they are an automatic rather than a standard shift, because you will loose a lot of mommentum between shifts. As you get smaller sized atv's they have a smaller drive gear to giver you power down low but your top speed is sacraficed even more. But moving slowly is beter than not being able to move at all.

Will
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
any input out there ????

Yes...Crazy Jim says toughen up and get some snow shoes Boy ! :lol:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/YotesX2/Alaskastock_351MN_CM0005D001.jpg

RiverOtter
02-28-2008, 05:13 PM
I never could understand the snowmobile restriction in conjunction with LEH for grizzly hunting. The hunt is already restricted to the number of authorizations, why further handicap the guys who are willing to actually go out, by limiting access to hunting areas???????

As to tracks on a quad, I've seen them used on a 500 Sportsman with decent results and flotation was excellent. I'd take slower top speed over misery slippers any day, although I'd still pack my slippers for emergency.

RO

358mag
02-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes...Crazy Jim says toughen up and get some snow shoes Boy ! :lol:

http://usera.imagecave.com/BCWILL/YotesX2/Alaskastock_351MN_CM0005D001.jpg
hey wasnt Crazy Jim at the Wild Sheep fund raiser in Kamloops last year of was that GG having a bad hair day ??

boxhitch
02-28-2008, 09:38 PM
[quote=RiverOtter;251905]I never could understand the snowmobile restriction in conjunction with LEH for grizzly hunting. The hunt is already restricted to the number of authorizations, why further handicap the guys who are willing to actually go out, by limiting access to hunting areas???????
You don't suggest that they actually want you to kill something do you ? I thought they just had to give the opportunity ?

As to tracks on a quad, I've seen them used on a 500 Sportsman with decent results and flotation was excellent. I'd take slower top speed over misery slippers any day, although I'd still pack my slippers for emergency.
I never understood the nikname 'misery slippers' . They are lifesavers, better to have than not have.

srupp
02-28-2008, 10:10 PM
I have used dog sleds and 4x4 and snowmobiles and quads..

TIP : If all you have is a quad do as the wolvers do..go in @ 3 am when the snow is frozed as hard as its gonna get..works well in the Cariboo mts..

Steven

RiverOtter
02-29-2008, 12:19 AM
I never understood the nikname 'misery slippers' . They are lifesavers, better to have than not have.

I never understood or used the term until I started hand falling years ago. When you are trying to clear a falling tree and your snow shoe gets hung up on debris below the snow, they get called worse.:shock:

When they're helping me get around in the snow, they're snow shoes.
When they endanger my life, they're misery slippers.......or something to that effect....grin

RO