PDA

View Full Version : Homemade taxidermy

Beardy
02-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Hey All!

I was doing some research on getting my grizzly bear that I'll harvest this spring (hopefully) turned into a nice rug with a head mount. I had NO IDEA that it was so expensive to have it done professionally. :frown: Holly crap, when you have to pay 240$ per linear foot for the rug + head mount, and if I hit a seven foot bear (overestimates here), it'll cost me a whole semester's worth of tuition fees. Being the poor graduate student that I am, and being pretty good with my hands, I thought that maybe I could take on the project myself and save me 1500$. So what do you guys think? Impossible? If I get all the right supplies and stuff, is it really hard to do? Any of you ever attempted it? Do you have any pictures of your first try at it? The things is that it'll be my first grizz and I want to do a good job at it, I really DON'T want to screw it up! Thanks for your input!

B

bighornbob
02-27-2008, 12:50 PM
If you want your grizz to look like this coyote by all means do it yourself.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/941coyote_2.jpg

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/941coyote_1.jpg

Do you yourself a favour and do not try to do it yourself. Take it too a taxidermist and get it wet tanned. This will probably cost you 200 bucks. Once done pick up from your taxidermist and take it home and throw it in the freezer until you can afford to pay for a rug. Wet tanned hides will last years in the freezer. As long as they dont dry out they will be fine. Put 100 bucks away a month and he will be paid for in two years.

BHB

Beardy
02-27-2008, 12:54 PM
What do you mean? Your coyote looks really nice! hahaha I love how you started your message! Ok, well, thanks for the advice, I'll take it into consideration... Wet tan and then throw it in the freezer!?

MattB
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
If you could find a taxidermist to give you tips and pointers then it may be doable. You can send the hide away to get tanned and then all you would have to do is mount the head and apply the felt backing. Might be easier than it sounds, but it sounds very easy (Except for the head).

Beardy
02-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks Matt!

Creeker
02-27-2008, 01:03 PM
I didnt know we had Hyenias in Canada.. :)

Clint_S
02-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Don't do it!
I like to do whatever I can myself to save money and tried to tan my very first archery kill, a large 7ft Island black bear. To make a long story short all the hair slipped and I had to dump the hide in the garbage.
If you're lucky enough to get your grizz take it to a pro and not just any one. Make sure you get to see samples of his work prior to getting yours done.

Gerry
02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Crap, I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. That coyote is priceless:lol: thanks for sharing.

Beardy
02-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I really laughed my ass off when I saw the coyote! hahaha

Bighorn hunter
02-27-2008, 01:33 PM
To do a rug I believe it has to be dry tanned. A wet tan goes hard when it is dry. Dry tan stays soft. The bad thing about a dry tan is you need to do the work on it within a year.For some reason after a year if you wet a dry tan they can fall apart.

Another thing you can do is get all the prep work done,(turn ears, lips,finish paws)then salt it and once it is dry it will keep for a long time. Just make sure no rodents can get at it to chew on the fur.

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2008, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't do it myself! Look at the value they hold - well worth the taxi fees.

6 foot Grizzly Bear Rug #10950 SOLD (http://www.bearskin-rugs.com/foot-grizzly-bear-rug-10950-sold-p-268.html?osCsid=e2cddb4f08a8aa63943c1e378cda4200)
$5,239.95 $3,495.00
6.8 foot Grizzly Bear Rug #31517A - SOLD (http://www.bearskin-rugs.com/foot-grizzly-bear-rug-31517a-sold-p-421.html?osCsid=e2cddb4f08a8aa63943c1e378cda4200)
$6,679.95 $4,450.00
7.2 foot Grizzly Bear Rug #183 SOLD (http://www.bearskin-rugs.com/foot-grizzly-bear-rug-183-bsoldb-p-283.html?osCsid=e2cddb4f08a8aa63943c1e378cda4200)
$7,429.95 $4,950.00

slyfox
02-27-2008, 02:00 PM
To funny cool mount.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2008, 03:05 PM
[quote=Bighorn hunter;251454]To do a rug I believe it has to be dry tanned. A wet tan goes hard when it is dry. Dry tan stays soft. The bad thing about a dry tan is you need to do the work on it within a year.For some reason after a year if you wet a dry tan they can fall apart.
quote]

My taxi sends all his stuff to Detroit to get tanned. With the tanning process they use it's one tan for wet or dry needs. And it supposed to be workable for many, many years(it's only been out for a decade). He said it's the best thing since sliced bread. Far, far superior than anything out there.
Get it tanned now and save your money up for a few years until you're ready.

SSS

tomahawk
02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
If you could find a taxidermist to give you tips and pointers then it may be doable. You can send the hide away to get tanned and then all you would have to do is mount the head and apply the felt backing. Might be easier than it sounds, but it sounds very easy (Except for the head).

First off I have to say that line with the Coyote is a gem, best I've heard.

Secondly stay away from trying it yourself, it is not easy, you get a mold and then have to use filler on the mold to make the head look right and it all has to be done before the hide dries or your hooped. Let a professional do it. If you'll have the money in 2-3 yrs you can just roll the hide up and freeze it in a large plastic bag and then get it done. I sold 2 large bear hides after 3 yrs frozen and the taxidermist said they were fine.

02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
If you want your grizz to look like this coyote by all means do it yourself.
http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/941coyote_2.jpg

Do you yourself a favour and do not try to do it yourself. Take it too a taxidermist and get it wet tanned. This will probably cost you 200 bucks. Once done pick up from your taxidermist and take it home and throw it in the freezer until you can afford to pay for a rug. Wet tanned hides will last years in the freezer. As long as they dont dry out they will be fine. Put 100 bucks away a month and he will be paid for in two years.

BHB

Was this thing done after an HBC meet at Jimmy Macs???:lol:

Beardy
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks for all the advice there... Fisher-Dude, you made a good point, the hides are worth a lot of money, although I never expect to sell it! I'll shop around I think, save the money, maybe ask mommy and daddy to pitch in as a grad gift! ;) I'll figure something out... thanks again everyone!

Beardy
02-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks so much for the coyote pics! hahaha

Will
02-27-2008, 08:16 PM
You're not supposed to shoot the "challenged" ones.......:lol:;-)

boxhitch
02-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Beardy, there are lots of ways to go about doing it yourself. If you can live with it not being 'professional', and can take pride in something you created, check out the web. Several taxidermy sites, as well as home-built sites. Remember Google is your friend.
Maybe practice up on a couple of B Bears, they are less collectable and easy to find.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-27-2008, 10:12 PM
Two book bighorns on the wall and that bloody yote of BHB's gets more attention than anything else in his collection. Go figure:roll:.

Boxhitch........BHB took some pride in his work too...and as you can see it paid off in spades:cool:.

SSS

Kody94
02-27-2008, 11:11 PM
Thing about a grizz is your first could end up being your only. I wouldn't risk it myself. Store it as recommended above until you can afford to get it done professionally, IMHO.

That x-eyed 'yote is a riot. There has to be some kinda funny story that goes with it??

:lol:

ibehuntin
02-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Just remember that if you take it to a reputable taxidermist you will get what you pay for. That being said the turn around time is likely a year or more. I'd recomend that you talk to several taxidermists and look at their work. Find one that you trust and work out a payment shedule and time line. So much down, so much a month and the remainder due on completion. I mean the G-bear isn't the greatest thing to eat so I,m assuming you are looking for a trophy and great memories, so why not spend the cash and have somthing that will keep bringing back to the moment for many years to come. Otherwise whats the point?

rishu_pepper
02-28-2008, 12:37 AM
You're not supposed to shoot the "challenged" ones.......:lol:;-)

LOL best line regarding the yote. Methinks someone should contact the biologist, we're missing a cross-eyed hybrid of some sort :lol:

Fisher-Dude
02-28-2008, 12:52 AM
My taxi sends all his stuff to Detroit to get tanned. With the tanning process they use it's one tan for wet or dry needs. And it supposed to be workable for many, many years(it's only been out for a decade). He said it's the best thing since sliced bread. Far, far superior than anything out there.
Get it tanned now and save your money up for a few years until you're ready.

SSS

Best of everything comes from Detroit: vehicles, hockey teams, tanning, etc. :wink::tongue:

rishu_pepper
02-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Best of everything comes from Detroit: vehicles, hockey teams, tanning, etc. :wink::tongue:

Don't forget the amazing crime rate and the Detroit Lions! :wink:

pointandshoot
02-28-2008, 02:02 AM
not to hijack the thred..but what would you guys suggest for hanging a b-bear on the wall (no mount)? is a tan good enouf? just salt it and dry it? i've been reading a bit off google but the process is still a little unclear to me. thanks

hunter1947
02-28-2008, 05:20 AM
I would flush the hide ,then send it away and get it tanned your self ,order the mold and eyes ETC yourself ,put the velvet underlay under the bear hide as well ,pick what color you want and buy it as well. This will save you some money. Then take it over to the taxidermy and get him to do the rest.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 05:38 AM

Let me guess....they finally won last night??:roll::roll:

SSS

calvin L
02-28-2008, 07:26 AM
I am in the same boat . I have no real room for the bear rug or even a life size . I know SSS,BHB & Box hitch think I should life size it . But the $ factor is so large .(4- 5 g for a mount ! I have never spent that on a truck . I have started to think about selling it and buying a set of knitting needles .

calvin L

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 07:33 AM
(4- 5 g for a mount ! I have never spent that on a truck .
calvin L

Maybe not but you're wife has:wink:(well okay, a car).

You have not been making vehicle payments for how many years??? Think of all that money you've saved.......:cool:.

SSS

calvin L
02-28-2008, 07:44 AM
I spent most of the saved cash buying super glue :tongue: LOL

sealevel
02-28-2008, 08:03 AM
You could do a good job yourself !! But i wouldn`t try a grizz the first time. Try a small black bear first. I home tanned a bear and a deer hide 40 years ago . The bear hide still looks good.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 09:08 AM
I spent most of the saved cash buying super glue :tongue: LOL

Ouch.............................................. ...........:redface:

SSS

bighornbob
02-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I would flush the hide ,then send it away and get it tanned your self ,order the mold and eyes ETC yourself ,put the velvet underlay under the bear hide as well ,pick what color you want and buy it as well. This will save you some money. Then take it over to the taxidermy and get him to do the rest.

I dont think too many taxidermists would do this as you dont know what to buy and even if the taxidermist uses that type. As with anything the experts usually have their favorites that they work with. They know what is easy to work with what is not. Saving a few bucks here and there may cost you more if your taxidermist has to alter is work technique if you bought something he does not suaully use.

Also the taxidermist probably gets the supplies for cheaper then you could get. Most buy their forms in bulk so they save money. I have a few taxidermist catalogues and if they buy over so many dollars they get 10% off. Also shipping would be cheaper if they get sent a few geads as opposed to just one. SRUPP posted a pic of a bear hide he was getting back. In the background there were probably 20 bear head forms. The taxi probably picked them up in bulk to save money.

Regardless of what you choose, talk to taxidermist first. Like others have said there may be a 2 year wait anyway. Pay the cost of the tanning now and the rest when it is done.

So at 240 a foot X 7ft= 1680 plus your taxes (201.60) Thats a total of $1881. Give the taxi 250 now for the cost of the tanning. That leaves a balance of $1661 oweing. If the taxi man takes two years as a lot do, that is only $70 bucks a month that needs to be squirrled away. That is very doable. Thats only two nights a month of not going out drinking.:lol:

BHB

kgriz
02-28-2008, 10:03 AM
There are a couple of options for you.......
But First, the only way that this will be your only chance is if you always put in for high odds spots. I put in for an area that ranges from 2:1 to 14:1 depending on spring or fall and what year and my Uncle, Dad and I have been drawn 4 times in the last 5 years and seen lots of bears and got the one in my avatar a couple of years ago.
Anyways if you plan on putting the rug on the floor you could get it dry tanned for about 250 and thats it.....No head mount no felt ( doing the felt properly is the most time-consuming part of the mount other than tanning ). I think the open plastic mouth often looks cheezy anyways. I put some newspaper in the head and wet and straightened out the ears and it just looks like a bears head with mouth closed. If you did want the head in, give it a try yourself; my uncle and I did his 179 mule deer buck last year ourselves and it turned out awesome; good luck telling the difference between ours that cost about 200 and a 650 one once they are on the wall and viewed at a bit of distance. We got the cape professionally done because mule deer capes are quite fussy and then we ordered a kit with a manikin with the eyes in and a instructional tape and book. It was great fun. We are doing our buffallo from this year as soon as the cape comes back. If you want pictures of a griz like I said or of our buck to see that I'm not BSing give me a PM.:-P

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 11:02 AM
You "MIGHT" be able to do an "okay" job but I look at it like trying to do your own cosmetic surgery on your spouse:shock:. You will most likely have to look at your mistakes the rest of your life.

There's a guy from our local club that did his own life-size lynx. A picture is worth a thousand words but since I don't have one, I'll do my best to describe it to you.......................Imagine walking up to a lynx that is caught in a leghold trap and it's trying to pull back and get away....your buddy sneaks up behind it and sticks a high voltage cattle prod up it's arse.....just then your other buddy runs over its back with his truck........... You quickly dip the cat in liquid nitrogen and stick it on a base.

He's quite proud of it, actually:roll:...and brings it for display every year.
Next year I'll try to remember to take a pic.:-)

SSS

BCJunior
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
To do a rug I believe it has to be dry tanned. A wet tan goes hard when it is dry. Dry tan stays soft. The bad thing about a dry tan is you need to do the work on it within a year.For some reason after a year if you wet a dry tan they can fall apart.

Another thing you can do is get all the prep work done,(turn ears, lips,finish paws)then salt it and once it is dry it will keep for a long time. Just make sure no rodents can get at it to chew on the fur.

Lol nice yote, ;-)

budismyhorse
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Best laugh I have had in a long time!

I am sure there are guys that have been able to pull it off.....but I know of waaay more hunters that are "proud" of a job that others talk about and laugh later on.

I know of a guy that started doing shoulder mounts in his basement and seemed to get them not too bad......until they started stinking up his living room. One day his wife couldn't stand it anymore as it wasn't "drying" and took it off the wall, that is when several maggots fell out of the nose and onto the couch ..... that was the end of his dreams of being a basement taxidermist.

To me its like buying good optics or any gear, it may hurt now, but later, you won't even consider doing it any other way.

First, hope you haven't built up bad luck by counting chickens before they hatch, and then....Go Pro.

bighornbob
02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
You "MIGHT" be able to do an "okay" job but I look at it like trying to do your own cosmetic surgery on your spouse:shock:. You will most likely have to look at your mistakes the rest of your life.

There's a guy from our local club that did his own life-size lynx. A picture is worth a thousand words but since I don't have one, I'll do my best to describe it to you.......................Imagine walking up to a lynx that is caught in a leghold trap and it's trying to pull back and get away....your buddy sneaks up behind it and sticks a high voltage cattle prod up it's arse.....just then your other buddy runs over its back with his truck........... You quickly dip the cat in liquid nitrogen and stick it on a base.

He's quite proud of it, actually:roll:...and brings it for display every year.
Next year I'll try to remember to take a pic.:-)

SSS

I have seen the mount that SSS is talking about and lets just say this mount here is better.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/941bobcatmount2.jpg

BHB

bighornbob
02-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Here's some more awesome cats.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bobcat_2.jpg

This kind of looks like the cat SSS is tallking about up top.

Oh another

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bobcat_3.jpg

GoatGuy
02-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Best one I've seen is a wt buck with purple makeup around the eyes.

Better yet it wasn't done in a basement, it was done by somebody who charges $$ for it.
:roll:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Those are some classics kitties BHB!!:cool: Those would give that one I mentioned a run for it's money.

Every taxidermist has to start somewhere:?.

SSS

rishu_pepper
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
BHB those cats are some funny looking critters! Heck I'd consider buying them, just for the laughs!

Ron.C
02-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I laughed my guts out at the coyote, but those cats, wow. I wonder if that expression was the one on the cats face just before the truck hit it!
But, I'll give credit to the guys for trying. Hell, my 4 year old nephew has more artisic ability than I do.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
For any of you guys at the coast that want to get your bear hides tanned and sit on them for a few years while you save money......Frank Gilbert is now shipping his stuff down to Detroit as well. The best part about it is that you can decide later if you want to rug it or go life/half size. Same tanning process for both(just make sure you leave the pads on to keep your options open)....and it can last for years and still be workable.

SSS

02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Like most the others say, don't try your self. You have finally got a Grizzly draw. Don't spoil it by trying to tan your self, it is HARD work and the finished product is some thing you want to be proud of when complete.
Is that coyote cross eyed? He does look like a cartoon character I saw once, wheres the road runner? Hats off though for the effort of trying to do your self, there are professionals in every line of work.

Gamebuster
02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Hey All!

I was doing some research on getting my grizzly bear that I'll harvest this spring (hopefully) turned into a nice rug with a head mount. I had NO IDEA that it was so expensive to have it done professionally. :frown: Holly crap, when you have to pay 240$ per linear foot for the rug + head mount, and if I hit a seven foot bear (overestimates here), it'll cost me a whole semester's worth of tuition fees. Being the poor graduate student that I am, and being pretty good with my hands, I thought that maybe I could take on the project myself and save me 1500$. So what do you guys think? Impossible? If I get all the right supplies and stuff, is it really hard to do? Any of you ever attempted it? Do you have any pictures of your first try at it? The things is that it'll be my first grizz and I want to do a good job at it, I really DON'T want to screw it up! Thanks for your input!

B

I've got to agree with some other folks...you should at least it get it professionally tanned then save up the cash to get 'er done......

BTW, what are ya studyin?

boyd050
02-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I couldn't shoot a coyote that looks that ....******ed, I'ld be laughing so much I couldn't hold my gun straight.. good thing they don't look like that in the wild!! but great attempt!! that kills me!!!:lol::lol::lol:

no disrespect to whoever did that I think it's great and humorous!!!

Beardy
02-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I've got to agree with some other folks...you should at least it get it professionally tanned then save up the cash to get 'er done......

BTW, what are ya studyin?

Thanks for the advice there Gamebuster. I'm doing a master's of science in biology, studying how migratory birds use landscape features during migration, the information my research provides can then be used to strategically place wind turbines for energy in a way to minimize any potential impact the turbines might have on the birds. Pretty cool stuff but the field work is really tough.