PDA

View Full Version : anyone buy optics from optics planet??

Dale
02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
i'm looking at buying a spotting scope from optics planet.com. has anyone ever used this company before and if so how much extra is shipping, duty, brokeage fees, etc?

Steeleco
02-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Not used them, but if you do make a purchase, and if at all possible, use USPS not some courier. That alone will save you money, especially on the "brokerage fee"

IIRC if it's a "Made in USA" product you'll not have any duty also.

Jonas111
02-27-2008, 08:22 AM
I just purchased a spotting scope from them in December. They are fairly reasonable and the price is still lower then purchasing it in Canada even after paying the duty and brokerage charges.

The secret to shipping from the USA is who ships it and how fast. If you use UPS (worst company) to ship ground there brokerage fees are ridiculously expensive. If you use USPS (Better) and ship it express you pay a few extra bucks up front but your brokerage is 25% of what UPS is. I found FedEx to be the best when it comes to shipping across the border but most companies in the USA do not like to use them. If you ship it Air express from FedEx or UPS I believe the Brokerage fees and duty are included. At least they used to be.

I believe Optics Planet uses USPS and I upgraded the shipping to Express and I paid $15 bucks more for shipping but I only paid $40 duty and brokerage. It was still cheaper then buying it here in Canada.

I got a Leupold Gold ring for $390 shipped to my door with all the duty brokerage and taxes paid. It is the second purchase I have made from Optics planet.

budismyhorse
02-27-2008, 08:51 AM
When I bought my binos last month, it was between Optics Planet and Bear Basin,

I chose to go with Bear Basin because of the unconditional moneyback guarantee they offer for 30days after you receive the product. That alone was the reason. The prices were the same.

Also, bear basin was excellent with the customer service and have been at it for a long time. Not sure of optics planet, I didn't know much about them.

They advertise free shipping.....but like any of them, they don't ship to canada free, so I got them to send it USPS. It was there in no time and only cost me 25 bucks. I did avoid the brokerage talk by getting it shipped to a mail box in the states and brought up by a relative. so I can't tell you about the brokerage stuff. Just

check them out if you haven't already.

www.bearbasin.com (http://www.bearbasin.com)

longwalk
02-27-2008, 08:57 AM
I have just ordered a pair of binos through optics planet. Should receive them on monday. I am having them shipped to a freight forwarder in Sumas Wa. It is a short trip for me to pick them up there. According to Canada Customs there is no duty on optics, electronics etc, regardless of country of manufacture. I am using optics planets free UPS delivery to the lower 48. I will repost once I get them and if I had any problems.

Scobo
02-27-2008, 09:05 AM
i bought the elite military spotting scope from them. wicked deal. i also ordered binos from them. do not order it over the net and had a different ship to address then billing address which caused some problems. if the addresses are the same it won't be a problem, if they are different remind them you need to fill out their form. overall a wicked company and probably the best deals i have seen yet with pretty much the biggest selection of anywhere. Care@OpticsPlanet.com and ask for Glenn L. he knows all about the form for us canadians.

Blainer
02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
I have ordered 3 different products at 3 different times from them.
Very pleased with product,service,ect.
You can track you're product as it is travelling to you're home.
2 thumbs up

Dale
02-27-2008, 02:25 PM
thanks guys, i think i might get a nikon pro staff. they have them on sale for 329 from 550. it thinks thats a pretty good deal.