PDA

View Full Version : Air canada ?? grizzly.

TherealSLYFOX
02-26-2008, 10:11 AM
If your lucky enough to shoot a grizzly :razz: can you transport it by plane back to Vancouver from up north?? Couldnt find anything on their web site.. or just put it in a box and hope for the best :?. Any info on this subject would be appreciated, just trying to get organized checking out my options. Thanks..

Dirty
02-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Why not take it to a taxidermist in the vicinity of where you shoot it, have it done, and ship it home then. At least you won't have to worry about the hide being ruined if something gets mixed up.

BCJunior
02-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah for sure just get it taxi'd and then get it shipped home.

TherealSLYFOX
02-26-2008, 10:57 AM
yah that sounds like a plan but dont you have to have it inspected first

boxhitch
02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
If the hide is salted and dried, and fits in your regular baggage, That would be my first choice.
If salted but not dried, still heavy, ship as cargo, chances are slim it will get lost.......for too long.
If green, have someone local take care, as has been suggested.

boonerbuck
02-26-2008, 11:26 AM
As long as it's dead you should be able to freight it. I don't know otherwise....lol.

Steeleco
02-26-2008, 11:32 AM
I'd do the advice given about getting it done there. Are you flying up to your hunt. Make sure your aware of A/C BOGUS shipping rules on firearms.
That said if you get the hide done up there have them ship it Greyhound if at all possible, much cheaper and much less likely to get lost.

I work for A/C and don't trust them, not with something as meaningful as that!

GoatGuy
02-26-2008, 12:25 PM
So long as it's salted you'll be fine.

There are several operators that go to Vancouver.

I think you may be worried about getting it inspected and CITES permit. As a resident keeping it in BC you'll be able to ship back home and get the CI done down there.

You'll be fine so long as your freight ends up where you want it to go.

kgriz
02-26-2008, 03:09 PM
A good sized relatively green hide is going to weigh quite a bit so it would be much cheaper to put it on the bus and reliable; I've sent lots of green hides on the bus and never had a problem.....as for luggage lost on a plane, well:shock:. As for the taxidermist, if you prefer one nearby, as long as the hide is well salted and drained it would be good for quite a bit more of a trip than to Van....I've sent one into the states in that condition with no troubles.

TherealSLYFOX
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah that bus ideas sounds like a plan, thanks guys its all good advice hopefuly ill be able to use some of these tips this spring.

troutseeker
02-26-2008, 07:46 PM
As long as you fly business, the coach seats are too crowded...

mark4
02-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Just stuff it into a huge suitcase and play dumb- then if they open it up act all suprised about it LOL.

slyfox
02-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Your A Shity Hunter That Bear Is Safe And Going To Eat Grass All Spring.ha Ha

bearheart
02-26-2008, 09:35 PM
If your lucky enough to shoot a grizzly :razz: can you transport it by plane back to Vancouver from up north?? Couldnt find anything on their web site.. or just put it in a box and hope for the best :?. Any info on this subject would be appreciated, just trying to get organized checking out my options. Thanks..
Maybe it's just me, but a grizzly hide (of a bear I had killed) would no more leave my hands before it got to the taxidermist of my choice than would sheep horns/cape.I would find a way to transport it home (rent a car, drive up,etc.) If you ship it and the shipper/airline/bus company loses it, messes it up(lets it spoil...) What are you going to do? Some things are not replaceable, somethings should not be left in the care of strangers...just this man's opinion.

hunter1947
02-27-2008, 05:30 AM
I don't see a problem doing this. A friend that came up from Texas took back a 6x6 set of elk antlers with the cape elk I shot a few years back ,he had no problem's ,all you need to do is have the cape in a water prof bag ETC..

338 winmag
02-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Which airport are you flying out of ? If PG , u will have no problems shipping Air Canada Cargo , hunter friendly people in there , or u can put it in a plastic bag and place it in a leak proof cooler , duct tape shut and check in as baggage .I would suggest being honest with your answers at the check in counter.If using the cargo method there is a strong possibility it will not ride on your flight.

boxhitch
02-27-2008, 12:45 PM
If PG , u will have no problems shipping Air Canada Cargo , hunter friendly people in there , Unlike the baggage handlers, that seem to be blamed for rifles not arriving with baggage. But they do show up.

338 winmag
02-27-2008, 12:48 PM
the baggage handlers are contract employees , they handle both Westjet and Jazz .

Dad and son
02-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Air Canada does have the info on their website. The call it "Bounty" and the info is all there. Also if you plan to ship with Air Cargo you need to talk to the airport you plan to ship out of. You will be considered an "unknown shipper" and they have some special rules regarding "unknown shippers" Also inquire if the airport has a freezer or just a cooler. Each airport will be different. For your info the Vancouver Air Cargo pick up location has only a cooler but no freezer even for things that arrive frozen. In most instances the regulations require air cargo to hold your goods for 24 hours before shipping them.

338 winmag
02-27-2008, 09:54 PM
There is a freezer in PG , just make sure u request goods are stored in it if that is your wish.

TherealSLYFOX
02-27-2008, 10:49 PM
yeah i was thinking of going through terrace ill check it out