PDA

View Full Version : Rumour of Wolves

BearSniper
02-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Talking to a co -worker today, he said he was up at the north end of the Pitt Lake area last week and saw 3 Wolves on the shore.

He reports he later met a Conservation Officer and the Provincial Biologist, and they confirmed that Wolves were present in the region.

Evidently the Biologist thought it "was neat that Wolves had returned to the area."

Of course there's no season there.

On top of that, the news had an article of a lady in Ft. St. John who got bit on the arm by a Wolf eating her Goat in her barn.

Anyone else heard rumours of Wolves that close to the big city ?

Wolfman
02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Lots of coyote sightings down here in Vancouver but no wolves - unless you count me ;-)

Wolfman

sfire436
02-25-2008, 12:50 PM
It was in the Sun a week or so back about how well they were doing in the pitt valley. They laso had a few words from a prominent B.C trapper warning of the repricusions that may come if these packs are not kept under control. Unfortunatly the general populations see's this as nothing but good; curious to see what happens to the elk heard in the upper pitt valley know that they are being predated on???

humble hunter
02-25-2008, 12:52 PM
There has been 3 hanging out behind my place in Squamish. I have seen them twice, once at last light while walking my dog and about a week ago at first light behind the house. There was also one hit and killed in Lions Bay in December.

Wolfman
02-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Yeah, well the 'eco-huggies' will wise up soon enough after one or two of their kids get dragged off by a pack of wolves...

But then again I know people who still think Cougars are really nice friendly 'kitties' who are shy and would never hurt a human - despite all of the attacks...

Wolfman

2slow
02-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't think it will matter to the "eco-huggies" if a kid is killed they always come back with "don't blame the animal it is only doing what nature intended"......I dont see why that doesn"t apply to us. When we cull the wolves we are doing what nature intended in my book.

Elkaholic
02-25-2008, 01:13 PM
I think we were put here to manage the animal species. We need to manage the amount of wolves there are, by no means exterminate them, but keep them at a level that is healthy for everyone (animals, people).

Slime green cat
02-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I am working on a jobsite right now in Poco that is just west of the Pitt river and just north of the Lougheed ... actually its right next door to Picktons place for those that know where that is ...
Anyways, the site backs onto a golf course and then beyond that is bush and farm land and a few kms to the lower end of what would be the Pitt lake/river valley .

The security gaurd that watches the site at night said he came out of the porta pottie one nite last week and there was 3 wolves sniffing around the site:eek: he said they didnt seem to concerned with his presence and actually kind of circled him at first .
I said no way, must have been big coyotes, but the guy was sure they were wolves and said he knows what a coyote looks like , and that these were definately wolves .
I dont doubt they are in the upper Pitt, but I just cant beleive they would come down this far into the city ??

Time will tell I guess ??

Steeleco
02-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I know a family that were told to leave 20 mile bay rec site a few summers back because wolves had moved into the area. I've not seen any myself but it wouldn't surprise me.

Kye
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
I'll do you one better (maybe two). I have heard first hand of sightings of Roosevelt Elk (two cows) in Capilano Watershed, as well as numerous sightings of a Grizzly in Seymour.

humble hunter
02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
I believe this calls for an open season!!!!

TIKA 300
02-25-2008, 09:52 PM
I'll do you one better (maybe two). I have heard first hand of sightings of Roosevelt Elk (two cows) in Capilano Watershed, as well as numerous sightings of a Grizzly in Seymour.

Seen the biggest yote ive seen to date last week here in the lower rainland (Nicomen Island)So whats to say they havent spread into the valley ?????? (wolf)

Any one ever look up how wide spread the replant on griz is here in BC. I did a couple years back and was very astounished where they've been put. (cant remember the web site)

Wolfman
02-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I don't think it will matter to the "eco-huggies" if a kid is killed they always come back with "don't blame the animal it is only doing what nature intended"......I dont see why that doesn"t apply to us. When we cull the wolves we are doing what nature intended in my book.

Yeah, true enough....

Wolfman

Wolfman
02-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I know a family that were told to leave 20 mile bay rec site a few summers back because wolves had moved into the area. I've not seen any myself but it wouldn't surprise me.

Geez, I was thinking of canoeing/hiking into Widgeon this summer with my kid.

maybe not now...

Wolfman

pmj
02-26-2008, 12:27 AM
I was thinking of hiking into Widgeon Lake in the spring above the Pitt. Hmmm... Does any one who is a slow runner want to come with me?

lip_ripper00
02-26-2008, 02:09 AM

maybe not now...

Wolfman

20 mile bay is along way from Widgion creek:shock:

humble hunter
02-26-2008, 08:34 AM

The Roosevelt elk are from the indian river transplant (it is only over one mountain range) and grizzlies are expanding their range. Last year there was one taken out of downtown squamish.

ruger#1
02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
In the eighties there were two wolves shot around Dewdney, there are also two black coyotes on Nicomen island. There are also wolves and grizzly on the north end of Harrison lake, I have seen grizzly around twenty mile bay, And they have also transplanted elk at the north end of stave lake. I haven't had a chance to talk to any of the loggers up there, i know one of the guys that is part owner of the logging camp.

Slime green cat
02-26-2008, 10:51 PM
In the eighties there were two wolves shot around Dewdney, there are also two black coyotes on Nicomen island. There are also wolves and grizzly on the north end of Harrison lake, I have seen grizzly around twenty mile bay, And they have also transplanted elk at the north end of stave lake. I haven't had a chance to talk to any of the loggers up there, i know one of the guys that is part owner of the logging camp.

Black coyotes ???? is there such a thing ? or are they half breeds mixed with dogs ?? I'm not doubting you because I have no idea .... just curious if this is a known thing or is it extremely rare like the white moose ?

Grizzly and wolves at 20 mile bay :shock: I have spent countless weekends up there over the years ... who woulda knew :-o
any idea how many Grizz there are in the area ? I have also heard they are up around the toll booth on the Coq .... are we talking 1 or 2 or are these healthy populations ??

TIKA 300
02-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Black coyotes ???? is there such a thing ? or are they half breeds mixed with dogs ?? I'm not doubting you because I have no idea .... just curious if this is a known thing or is it extremely rare like the white moose ?

Grizzly and wolves at 20 mile bay :shock: I have spent countless weekends up there over the years ... who woulda knew :-o
any idea how many Grizz there are in the area ? I have also heard they are up around the toll booth on the Coq .... are we talking 1 or 2 or are these healthy populations ??

Like i said take a look at the griz transplant,you will be suprised how large an area !!!!!!!! Someone on Fly BC last year took a pic of a bull moose standing in the Skagit river near Ross Lake,so i wonder when the dogs will appear there along with the griz ?????????

I'll keep my mouth shut for now about the griz transplant until i can find the web site(or i'll be feeling a little sheepish,and eat a lot of crow) TK

I was wrong(go figure)The site about griz is on the BCeID its called Recovery Plan For Grizzlies In The North Cascades British Columbia

ruger#1
02-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Keep an eye on the ponds at sunshine valley, seen the odd moose in there. And those black coyotes are coydogs, And are a pain in the ass at the farm.

Wolfman
02-27-2008, 01:38 PM

Grizzly - in Seymour!!!!?

Wolfman

Wolfman
02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
20 mile bay is along way from Widgion creek:shock:

I was talking about the lake above the Pitt area there ;-)

Wolfman

Kye
02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Grizzly - in Seymour!!!!?

Wolfman

Quite close to N.Van actually. Sighted within, 10 km. Unofficial of course, as it was mainly seen by park users.

sealevel
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM

maybe not now...

Wolfman
I find that kinda odd you live in downtown hongcover and you worry about wolves . I would and have let my kids roam the hills by themselves !! But never ever !! would i have let them walk down a street in hongcover alone

MB_Boy
02-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I find that kinda odd you live in downtown hongcover and you worry about wolves . I would and have let my kids roam the hills by themselves !! But never ever !! would i have let them walk down a street in hongcover alone

The bums are harmless unless provoked, just like bears and other carnivores that are lurking and waiting to pounce in the BC wilderness. I think what they are doing with the syringes is vaccinating themselves so unlike wolves there is NO chance of rabies. A scrubbie "mauling" is really rarely ever heard of.....and your chances of being hit by a poorly driven car are BETTER than your chance of slipping and falling into a crevase. :-?

Now the cougars in town.......they are a real danger to younger men carrying a gold or platinum credit card!!

MB_Boy..."Tourism Vancouver" afficianado and looking for a job with Tourism.:grin:

On a side note.....on one of the fishing websites I visit someone mentioned a small population of "wolves" in Burns Bog. Me thinks someone doesn't know the difference between wolves and coyotes or "coydogs".:roll:

humble hunter
02-27-2008, 07:58 PM
The bums are harmless unless provoked, just like bears and other carnivores that are lurking and waiting to pounce in the BC wilderness. I think what they are doing with the syringes is vaccinating themselves so unlike wolves there is NO chance of rabies. A scrubbie "mauling" is really rarely ever heard of.....and your chances of being hit by a poorly driven car are BETTER than your chance of slipping and falling into a crevase. :-?

Now the cougars in town.......they are a real danger to younger men carrying a gold or platinum credit card!!

MB_Boy..."Tourism Vancouver" afficianado and looking for a job with Tourism.:grin:

On a side note.....on one of the fishing websites I visit someone mentioned a small population of "wolves" in Burns Bog. Me thinks someone doesn't know the difference between wolves and coyotes or "coydogs".:roll:

Damn those eco freaks starting the rumour of the wolves in burns bog, maybe I shouldn't have pre bought my burns bog condo :smile:

Gateholio
02-27-2008, 08:19 PM
A few years ago, here on HBC and at CGN, that there woudl be grizzlies moving into the North Shore mtns...Of course, a couple in Squamish showed up last year.

Grizzly population has been booming inthe Pemberton area, more and more encounters and sightings. They are moving further south, and I am not surprised if someone saw one on the north end of Harrison Lake. It's an easy stroll from the Pemberton area, down Lillooeet Lake to Harrison.

One bit a hiker near Pemberton last fall, I am sure that as they penetrate into denser populated (populated with Lower Mainland recreationalists) areas, we will see more encounters like this.

Wolfman
02-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Yeah, I know about that one. Buddy of mine out in ladner was just saying something about the predatory 'cougars' out at the bars there ;-)