PDA

View Full Version : Who knows big boar Grizzlies?

bushguy
02-24-2008, 06:05 PM
:?Got me ah Grizz tag,,gunna need me a Big Gun too!With really Big Bullets,,an a good skinnin knife,,so whats the best shot to take on a bear?If he doesnt know ur there?,and, if he see's u?,,say under 100 yards,,should u shoot him if he's straight on facing u?or wait till hes broadside?in the shoulder or lungs?what if he doesnt see u,but senses or smells u and is alert,but cant pin u down,?should u back out and try again later?whats the best bullet/gun caliber?will have more questions later..

moosecaller
02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
With big bears or any bear for that matter, you have to put them down and then worry about killing them. Breaking both shoulders is the safest shot, any broadside will be better than any other presentation. The spine of course is a sure break down, but if you don't know the bears anatomy exactly right it's a marginal shot at best. Heavy well constructed bullets are in order. I would say a .30 cal. magnum would be the place to start for calibre.

slyfox
02-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Well I' m not an expert, but I have killed one and did get a draw this year and I am going again. I would say you should take only a broadside shot on any bear... black or a grizz. As for gun size I shoot a 300 hundred win mag with a 200 grain bear claw bullet. It does the job pretty good on bears and moose. So it should be suffiecient for any bear I think. One other important thing, ALWAYS go with a hunting partner and another big caliber gun. Depends on the situation you are in if the bear spots you. If it's not worth taking a shot don't, and if he's charging you shot like a MAD MAN!! and hope you don't miss, cause you probably will have enough crap in your underpants to throw at him and blind him in the eyes if you run out of bullets. Hope that helps...

Slyfox

Wolfman
02-24-2008, 07:46 PM
Grizzlies in particular have really thick skulls so watch out for that.

Wolfman

srupp
02-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Hmmm I know big grizzlies... forget the John Wayne stuff...do not shoot at less than 60 yards IF he charges you wont get time for a second shot..nor shoot over 150 yards or so..most guys cant be accurate enough to break down the shoulder.
The shoulder is the smartest shot on a G bear..it will kill but it also should drop them..then keep shooting till he stops moving..Stevens # 1 rule " its far easier to patch a 1 iNch hole in his hide than a 1 inch hole in YOUR hide." WORDS to live by.

Premium bullets...Nosler etc..on a bear that is unaware of your presence..no shots at running bears.No SPINE shots EVER . PERIOD.

NO head shots..ever PERIOD.

They dont come much bigger than this bad boy from last springs hunt..

over 9 foot and over 900 pounds..and #32 in the alltime world record book Boone and Crockett...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/Timgrizzly2-1.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/TimGRIZZLY1-2.jpg

Steven

srupp
02-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Here are 2 more Grizzlies the one on the ground is record book also..and the guy in the photo is my twin brother..this one was shot by a 7mm Rem magnum..several times..

the next photo is of the SECOND OLDEST grizzly ever shot in Canada..my partner Kerry 300 WIN MAG..

The first bear was shot with 500 grain bullet from .458...it worked lol

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/GerryGrizzly.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/KNgrizzly.jpg

Steven

KodiakHntr
02-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Broadside is best. You do have to break a shoulder, but better both shoulders. So study some Grizzly bear bone structure pictures.

The most important things to remember are though, is that a lot of bears will fall at the shot, and bounce around a fair bit. And then take off running in whatever direction they happen to be pointed. So be prepared for a second poke.
And, its the dead ones that can kill you. If he looks alive, or is mobile even after what you figure is a good shot, hit him again.

Shade Tree
02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
This spring I will be using my 30-06 with a 168 gr Barns Triple shock. Ideally you should be shooting for the shoulder, that way you are expending all of the bullets' energy on the bear. If you shoot back from the shoulder then you take out the lungs, still a dead bear. If I was to buy a new gun for this bear hunt in mind it would probably be a 300 short mag or larger 338 or 375. With that said I will be using my trustworthy 06 and backpacking solo looking for my second grizzly in the eight foot range.:-)

wlbc
02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Have not shot a G bear yet... And no LEH again this spring... :(

Anyway, I have always assumed that a G bear's bone structure would be like a Black Bears - true?

Appreciate hearing from those of you who have been inside both.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa189/wextcoaster_01/anatomydb-1.gif

GrizGuy92
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Heres a diagram of vitals in a bear and other organs.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/Wtfwowomgbbq/BearAnatomyCr.jpg

sfire436
02-24-2008, 09:12 PM
thats very cool gg92.

bushguy
02-24-2008, 10:20 PM
some awesome advice there guys,,,srupp,,huge bear,,how old do you figure he was?Griz guy cool diagram,it would be neato to see that in a 3d mode,like if u could spin it around to c the different angles and such.i have heard that a g bear will watch its backtrail if wounded,has anyone ever had that happen to them?kinda scary,,,i usually shoot game in the lungs,but maybe on a HUGE grizz,its best to break their shoulder first so's to put another into him quick like.I will be shootin a 300 rum,and i will probably be using 180gr,tsx,as todbartell seems to like those and he seems to know his stuff.i know from shooting moose in the spine they pancake(by accident of course)would the same happen with a calm grizz?i think i would try to shoot from about 100 yards,if given the best chance,with a rocksolid rest.OH,how much would a huge grizz skin weigh abiout?Shadetree,,ur goin solo for grizz?Backpacking?wheres ur draw 4?Wolfman,,i dont think i'd shoot him in the head as it would prolly ruin the beautifull trophy.8-)

srupp
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
No spine shots..several reasons..first you want to harvest a grizzly when he doesnt even know your on the same planet..once alarmed and the bear is put into "fight or flight " mode everything changes and they are MUCH harder to put down and keep down.
So if you shoot and completely miss..and on a spine shot this is easy to do with a bears long hair , he is now KEENLY aware of your presence.

Second if its a tad too low it will knock him down HOWEVER he WILL be getting back up as noted by Kodiakhntr he may be headed for the deep dark brush which is bad for you because eventually YOU will have to go in after him but worse for you if he comes AT you..

Its a "PEE" poor and risky chance..not worth it...spectacular when made..immediatly problematic if not...this is dangerous work and the repercussions of messing it up are immense.

The spine shot needs to be "perfect" not accounting for wind, scope slightly off, nerves..bear moves..miscalculating the distance, angle of the shot etc etc etc etc..

So BREAK DOWN THAT SHOULDER. period. and IF your weapon IS up to the job break em both down driving bone through the lungs tearing them up..the bear is dead but more importantly dead where you shot him...

I have YET to see the "perfect" shot on a grizzly nor have I yet to see the man who isnt somewhat humbled in the presence of a BIG grizzly in the wild...everyone becomes somewhat cautious or nervous weather they admit it or not..those that dont treat these magnificant animals with the repect for the power and tenacity for life and what that means for your life IF you screw it up.The spine shot just leaves too many opportunities for the variables to come back and ruin your day.

Again guys PLEASE..go visit Cabelas site and VIEW the grizzly attack ...this is a great sport but in grizzly hunting its Not a game. Be certain ...be safe....

I have had the pleasure and it has been my privilege to visit and learn from some of the greatest grizzly guides in BC..Mr. Clayton Mack,Mrs. Betty Franks,Mr Terry Shendrick,Mr. Gary Sheldon ,Mrs. Gerry Bracewell and my 30 plus years of enjoying and loving hunting grizzlies and being amongst them. And I feel I have learned some very valuable lessons from these AMAZING individuals who each have many lifetimes of real world experience...KISS..keep it simple..stay with what works.

The hide and head and paws of a mountain grizzly if properly skinned out will be well in excess 100 pounds..coastal bear much more..I have had a wounded black bear lay an ambush for me watching his back trail...

Any shot in the skull will eliminate it from trophy judging....

Steven

alremkin
02-25-2008, 01:02 AM
A few years back I saw about a 600lb griz shot through the heart lungs with a 338 with 250 bullet run up a hill about 250 yards before dying about 2 or 3 minutes later. We heard it's death knell. There were several armed hunters there so I'm pretty certain we could have stopped it if it charged. This is why I bought my Remington Safari in 416. I'm convinced there's good reason many African countries REQUIRE 40 cal+ for dangerous game and I see no reason why a 1,000 lb bear should be hunted with anything less espceially so if I was hunting solo.:smile:

srupp
02-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Youngfella..head down feeding facing you is a incredably risky shot and should NEVER be attempted..the bear WILL eventually turn giving you that side view of the SHOULDER you are aiming at breaking..

One last time NO SPINE shots coming going or standing on his head spitting up gophers..:eek:
You know someone I have never met... because no guide I have met would suggest this why??? Because HE has to go in after a wounded bear..Spine shots SELL BULLETS because of the instantaneous and spectacular collapse of the new KY bullet from the new .223 remchucker mangelum..we arnt selling anything we are doing our damn best to harvest a dangerous animal capable of killing us easily and harvest that animal humanely and quickly with the largest chance of success the first time..

Viewed from the front the spine is the same shape..long and skinny and being "off" by the same amount as the attempt on the spine from the side will result in???? the same results... a wounded infuriated 700 pound animal with large teeth and claws and in a really bad mood..it will be a high hit and death may take some time...

I have tried to make my point to help hunters from my experience..knowlege you admit the sideway shoulder shot is" the highest % shot to take" however you go on to say that you would take the head on spine shot...its your LEH and your well being I wont recomend that nor condone it however....but PLEASE dont suggest this as optimal let alone legitimate..w do have plenty of NEW grizzly hunters going after their first encounter with MR.G man...lets keep it simple whats safest and what has worked and is the HIGHEST chance of success for most everyone...of course some out there will always be willing to try someting new..this ws started to help rookies...

good luck and straight shooting

ALREMKIN....bears with both shoulders broaken dont normally run that distance again the reason for the shoulder shot..and more hunters would be MORE afraid of a .416 than the bear..it IS extremely important WHERE you hit them..NOT a lung shot a shoulder shot..also I feel that most guys couldnt shoot a .416 well enough under pressure and nerves again my point of view,.. .300 win mag....338...hell even the 7mm Rem magnum are "better " choices for "most"..as well I do NOT believe it is a prudent decision to ever go grizzly bear hunting alone ever..Tim had his rifle experience problems this past spring "stuff" happens..be prepared..hunt with someone you can trust your life with...because you are...IMHO

Steven

Rob
02-25-2008, 01:32 AM
Where do you find the Grizz attack on the cabelas website?? Rob

BCbillies
02-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Srupp... well stated! I highly recommend the shoulder breaker shot to everybody no matter how experienced. I stick to the tried and true method of bringing down these "big boys" and don't have any desire to deviate. Having the bear not know your presence and making the first shot count (waiting for that perfect shot) goes a long way to ending the hunt with a quick bear down.

Those Cabelas attack videos are highly recommended for anyone planning to head out for a grizz hunt. Just don't let your wife watch em!

alremkin
02-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Srupp, I agree about hunting griz alone and in Africa a hunter is REQUIRED to have a guide when hunting dangerous game. I think this is the case on Kodiak Island for non residents. So the hunter can use his 7mm on Cape Buffalo because he's recoil sensitive because he's backed up by a guide? No, most African countries require heavy calibers for dangerous game so my belief on this is: If you can't shoot a proper heavy rifle for dangerous game stay home.

If I'm reading this right you shot a record book griz with a 458 with one shot and a friend of your's shot a smaller griz with a 7mm and it took several shots. To me this backs up the agrument for larger calibers for dangerous game you certainly follow this by using your 458. To me it just makes good sense to use heavier calibers for dangerous game and with much more dangerous game in African, African countries agree. I know we, in North America, have no laws regarding caliber for big bears which is why I aquiesce to the African default. You SEEM to agree by using your 458.

A good level of markmanship with a big rifle would be to be able to keep a 5 shot group in a 6" circle at 50 yards. Common sense, the endangered species, should rule here I'm not infavor of passing more game laws, but I think this is reasonable.

480ruger
02-25-2008, 02:57 AM
if you have any doubt, even the slightest about taking a shot DON`T SHOOT. you may only get one good shot and that should be your first one..i have droped em with my 45/70 350 grain slug at close range,but like the others say,pick your shot and shoulder punch em,then they can`t get you with busted shoulders... i think for your own safety pack enough gun,and use the best bullets you can find..my personal favorite is my 338 mag with 250 gr barns bullet...and if i have to go into the bush after em, 45/70 or the 12 guage with slugs...good luck on your grizz!!!

hunter1947
02-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Take him in the shoulders ,that puts him down ,buy shooting him there in the shoulders when broadside he won't go far at all. A 300 long mag or a 338 mag as for a 7mm will work fine to get the job done.

Brambles
02-25-2008, 05:58 AM
Just be damn sure that his shoulder isn't rolled forward if your going to aim for it, If possible wait till his leg is further back on its travel. You can try and get the offside shoulder if the closest shoulder is too far forward but you might not have enough power left over after punching through the fat, meat and organs to break the massive bones.

Personally I'd take my 375 H&H with some good bullets, make sure the shot is a good one because a wonderful thrilling moment can turn into a nightmare if you screw it up.

Plus make sure you have a competent backup shooter

For example Stone Sheep Steve and Todbartel would be a _________ choice for a grizz backup shooter. You fill in the blank:biggrin:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Just be damn sure that his shoulder isn't rolled forward if your going to aim for it, If possible wait till his leg is further back on its travel. You can try and get the offside shoulder if the closest shoulder is too far forward but you might not have enough power left over after punching through the fat, meat and organs to break the massive bones.

Personally I'd take my 375 H&H with some good bullets, make sure the shot is a good one because a wonderful thrilling moment can turn into a nightmare if you screw it up.

Plus make sure you have a competent backup shooter

For example Stone Sheep Steve and Todbartel would be a _________ choice for a grizz backup shooter. You fill in the blank:biggrin:

Hey!!:evil: We did not have to follow Calvin's grizz into the alders....that's the most important thing. No need to drop a worm into your drawers when you don't have to...............:roll:

Bushguy.......I seem to recall a nice big wet grizz somewhere in your recent past:cool:. You playing dumb??

SSS

riflebuilder
02-25-2008, 08:03 AM
I had the opertunity to stop a charging grizzly at 15 feet. I shot for the head to put her done so I could put a few into the lungs. When you have a charging bear in a full out run at you they are huge, the scope is filled with fur. As I shot the bear dropped her head and my bulet took out her spine. I shoot left handed and was hunting with a right hand 270 win. I put another bullet into her as she went down and one more for the hell of it. The only problem with that was that the two three year old cubs stood up one on each side of me and I only had one bullet left. But they were good bears and took off. All the wardens ever said was good shot and next time don't let them get that close. It was in heavy bush and I just happened to have come through a small 20' wide clearing, when I heard the bush crashing I stepped back to the edge of the clearing and there came to Bear on a dead run. Have you ever noticed that when a Grizz is running the back legs come around in front of the planted back legs. They look huge. I guess I was not ready to die so god guided that first bullet.

Brambles
02-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Hey!!:evil: We did not have to follow Calvin's grizz into the alders....that's the most important thing. No need to drop a worm into your drawers when you don't have to...............
SSS

:razz: Hey, I just couldn't pass up a chance at zinging you:razz:

Definitly a "no tracking needed shot" and plus you guys had something to do in the evenings, putting the puzzle back together:smile:

todbartell
02-25-2008, 10:27 AM

I am humbled by your recommendation, that means alot coming from such an experienced hunter like yourself :) thank you

rocksteady
02-25-2008, 11:36 AM
I have to disagree with some on here.....

When I have a broadside shot, I ALWAYS take the heart/lungs, rather than a shoulder shot.....

1st shot - heart lungs, if it gets up and runs, so what???? You know you have taken out the boiler room, you sit and smoke a deck of cigarettes/finish a thermos of coffee and have a little nap...If you hit him solid - HE IS DEAD.....

SHoulders - 1st shot, bear takes off....Big problems....broken shoulders, however has full heart/ lung capacity left.....Regardless of how long you leave it bear could still be alive....PLUS he is probably pissed off....

I have killed numerous bears and have yet had one left alive when I go to look for him.....

Hit them in the boiler room and do not be in a rush to go check him out...Leave it for an hour if its thick crap.....Go in slow with all the firepower you can pack...I find a 12 ga with no plug and 5 3" slugs is good bear medicine......And a back up shooter is a great idea..

If they get hit and fall down(in an open area rather than thick brush), take your time and empty the clip into the little bugger.....Better safe than having an OOOPS.....

rocksteady
02-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Don't let it go to your head BT.....The word could be "crappy", "incompetent", "unreliable", "girly"......and many other :mrgreen::mrgreen:

GrizGuy92
02-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Says the guy that shot this.
:rolleyes:;)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd250/Wtfwowomgbbq/0075.jpg

todbartell
02-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Don't let it go to your head BT.....The word could be "crappy", "incompetent", "unreliable", "girly"......and many other :mrgreen::mrgreen:

no, no, I know what Brambles was getting at, and I am flattered and honored :-D

Beardy
02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey Dudes

It's been talked about a few times on this thread but for any of you who haven't seen Cabela's Grizzly video, check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZnsL7-UdGc

Thanks
Phil

GoatGuy
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Shoulder shot's the only way to go.

Only seen two better shots. One went in one ear and out the other - bang flop. The other was in the eye ball (didn't touch the eye lids) and out the back of the neck. Neither of the shots went where they were intended.

When hunters start bear hunting, in particular grizz they shake and cannot control their breathing. I've watched guys who are steady as a rock start loosing control of their breathing just walking into slides after bears. I've also watched hunters start to shake just watching grizz across a valley or watching others stalking bears. It suddenly becomes very real.

Shoulder shot is the only way to put a bear down on the spot - a boiler room shot will find you crawling through the alder jungle on hands and knees following a blood trail. Following a grizz around in that stuff isn't any fun. I've had to go after grizz twice and the first time where I found the bear I wouldn't have had a chance, luckily it had expired. The second the dog and I had a re-enactment of the OK Corral. Not to mention going in after black bears.

Don't believe me talk to a couple of the guys who have been attacked. I don't think you'll find too many guides or bear hunters who won't tell you to immobilize the bear on the spot.

pupper
02-25-2008, 02:13 PM
here is a helpful article on grizzly hunting:http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Grizzly_Bear_Hunting_Tips_

and one on brown bears:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Alaskan_Brown_Bear_Hunting

srupp
02-25-2008, 02:14 PM
Youngfella no disrespect intended ,and If You felt I came accross as a "know it all " that certainly was not my intention :oops:..I am sorry I intended to relate I had considerable experience and some incredible teachers..and lots of knowlege in this area as well as being blessed with some AMAZING success over the years..

I guess my views are ingrained by those factors and I IN NO WAY feel I am the final word on anything..unless its how to have fun hunting stone sheep without actually harvesting one :mrgreen:..I tried to express a tried and true way for our newer hunters going after those first time grizzly bears..

Hell everyone told me NOt to get my NEW .338 muzzlebreaked but its here..as of 1 hour ago..with yup..a new quiet muzzle break..

Good luck on your up coming hunt..

Steven

Pioneerman
02-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I agree with most here that a shoulder is the way to go. You may not have time to sit and drink a thermos of coffee if the bear can still run, if he decides to come in your direction instead of away with what ever life is left in him, which could be enough to take yours.

I have seen a few big bears and if I am lucky enough to see one this spring since I got my draw, I hope to be breaking shoulders with my 416, and again wanting to see it drop then and there, not run off and bleed to out. At least if it doesn't die first off with the shoulder shots it can't run up to you and slap you around, so you will have time for follow up shots if need be.

curt
02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
338 250 grain is a real bus stopper having shot some animals at some long distances with this caliber i would be confident with this one

Beardy
02-25-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm getting scared now. I'm shooting a .30-06 with 180gr ammunition for my spring grizzly hunt this year. I'm going for mountain grizzly, so not as big as Kodiak or Coastal grizz but still close to 700lbs I would guess. In your opinion, from 100yds, can I break the shoulder?

srupp
02-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Beardy .. use a PREMIUM BULLET..IE Nosler Partition or perhaps a Barnes triple x..get into 100 yards , a good rest..and you will break a mountain grizzlies shoulder..seen it several times with 30:06..again my advice is do not go alone and have a calm,reliable partner with adequate backup rifle you will do fine....

Steven

bearheart
02-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Sorry, I didn't have time to read every post but if not mentioned already, I would recommend reading Tony Russ book on bear hunting in Alaska. It has answeres for most of the guestions brought up here and was quite helpful to me before my grizzly bear hunt. Us ethe most powerful rifle and the best bullet you can afford and shoot well. Be sure your back up shooter can shoot before you really need to know. 100yds is about right. Article mentioned in earlier post suggests 200-250yds, too far in my opinion. You want to hit it right and have it fall down dead, like now. From what I've seen/read , when it doesn't go that way and that big animal starts running around, hurtung and agitated, the fun stops. 338winmag, Federal loaded Trophy Bonded Bear Claw to shoulder at 102yds worked nicely. Good luck and have a great time!

Elkhound
02-26-2008, 11:22 AM
lots of good info in here

srupp
02-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi Elkhound care to chip in bud???lol ya its been a rollercoaster..did ya check out my new GRIZZLY/MOOSE rifle in the section on rifles etc ??

steven

Elkhound
02-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Hi Elkhound care to chip in bud???lol ya its been a rollercoaster..did ya check out my new GRIZZLY/MOOSE rifle in the section on rifles etc ??

steven

my 2 cents? never had the opportunity to hunt grizz yet but you can bet you will be the first guy I contact for info.:smile:

but I have been in on lots of black bears. Most guys on here know my track record for those and the cliffs they go off. Only takes 2 steps in some of my favorite spots. Thats why those big boars are there......nice and safe with 2 steps to cover and all down hill. I have always done the broadside heart and lung shot. They have all died..........just had to find them. And we did. But recovery was an art I had to learn.:wink:
So I have changed my tune for this spring. I think it's shoulder breaking time from now on, and of course waiting for that angle where the bullet drives into the vitals at the same time. Using either the .338 or my new .444marlin this year..........ok, it will be the new marlin. LOL. The only broadside shot this spring will be with my bow I think.

As for your new rifle? I will check it out now Steven, I missed that post somehow. At least Clarke will be happy. I think it's posted in the right section:tongue:

srupp
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
chuckle..it sounds like Garfield the cat..."its not the having its the finding"lol

let me know what cha think on the new bear stopper..

Cheers '
steven

GoatGuy
02-26-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm getting scared now. I'm shooting a .30-06 with 180gr ammunition for my spring grizzly hunt this year. I'm going for mountain grizzly, so not as big as Kodiak or Coastal grizz but still close to 700lbs I would guess. In your opinion, from 100yds, can I break the shoulder?

Should be plenty with premium ammo.

Anything over 500 lbs (real lbs not hunter lbs :wink:) for a mountain grizz in the spring is one heck of a good bear. My guess is the average spring harvest is more like 300 lbs.

srupp
02-26-2008, 02:17 PM
GoatGuy...good point on the weights and remember on a grizzly its all meat and bones and teeth and claws..unlike black bear where 400 pound bear 175 pounds would be fat..but also the mountain bears although smaller in size usually have a much worse disposition..meaner and crankier....maybe they nee to be so because high protein items require more effort to obtain and hang onto?? coastal bears get thousands of salmon etc.. and longer growing seasons before hibernation..

Steven