PDA

View Full Version : your thoughts on reagon 2 black tail

harder rd
02-24-2008, 01:00 AM
I have been chaseing black tails around for 10 years or so and am starting to think that they do not grow any bigger than a 3 pointer. any thoghts on spotting a big backtail? pic's would be cool to.

TIKA 300
02-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Have found 2 sets of 3 pts near Mission,and once seen a BEAUTIFUL 4 point on the side of road near Mission dump,before huntin season.TK

Gateholio
02-24-2008, 01:37 AM
I shot a region 2 4x4 and my buddy shot a HUGE 4x3 in 2007..they exist...

hunter1947
02-24-2008, 05:11 AM
There are lots of them around ,just have to be in the right place the right time.

srupp
02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Hunter1947 is absolutley right in one aspect..the HUGE one I shot many moons ago was "being in the right place at the right time " THICK inpenatrable tangles and steep terrain"

HOWEVER....some guys ..AKA..T-BONE..gets lots of HUGE blacktails...because he studies them lives amongst them and climbs his way up to and into where the big ones hold out so his success ratio and size of animals harvested is the VERY best...I consider him THE best blacktail hunter out there..and hunting luck always plays a part of success..for T-Bone luck plays a very minor part..IMHO..

Steven

MichelD
02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Saw one at a subdivision in Coquitlam and several at Minnekada and have shot one too.

Elkhound
02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
it's called put your time in. A weekend here and there usually does not do it. I used to go out 5 days a week all season for years and I still ony have 2 big 4+ blacktails

ruger#1
02-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Ive seen 4 point blacktails here, and it is always at the end of the season , when there is heavy snow on the mountains. They seem to want to stay up there till they are pushed down.

c.r.hunter
02-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Have a look through the BC book. Many of the biggest ones have come out of 2.

srupp
02-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Rueger#1` has it PEGGED..its got a LOT of wisdom in his last post. A LOT.
Steven

bsa30-06
02-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Don't believe any of these guys blacktails don't exsist except for in fairy tales, and dreams.....They are a mythical creature, they are not real.

Tarp Man
02-24-2008, 06:22 PM
SOME of us have seen and now believe... If Lapadat were around, he could tag team with T-Bone and Rock. Now those guys have experience with 4-point blacktails. Look in Lapadat's T-Bone's and Rock's gallery pictures here. They do exist, but do not give themselves up to just anyone...

browningboy
02-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Here is T Bones hunting partner with a hog blacky, and a buddy of mine:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/2006_Black_Tail.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3891&size=big&cat=&what=allfields&name=high caliber)

oddsix
02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
We took this about 6 years ago in Seaschelt.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/oddsix/HPIM5346.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj203/oddsix/HPIM5345.jpg

Jelvis
02-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Hunt Depot creek by Chilliwack Lake go by Chilliwack Lake turn right go til you see american border straight ahead stop, hunt on left side. The higher you climb it opens up big blacktail bucks but it's a moderate climb. One other place really good as you go higher is Mt Thurston up Chilliwack river valley thats all I can say. Jel

Wild Images
02-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Looks like they are hiding behind couches on the mainland, check out your living rooms :shock:

Steeleco
02-25-2008, 09:39 AM
Oh they exist. I took this one 4 years back on opening weekend. I'd hunted that spot for about 5 years. Lots of sign and lots of bums!!!! It was raining something fierce and foggy to boot. It was up Sylvester road, but since then they've DEACTIVATED the road for keeps. It was on the top of the mountain like Ruger#1 advised.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/ShanesBuck.jpg

mikek blacktail
02-25-2008, 09:47 AM
there's tons around if you do some summer scouting you'd be suprised how many you can find .

rishu_pepper
02-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Saw a pretty massive 4-pointer around rut time last season on Coast Meridian (near PoCo range) dashing across the street. Also numerous smaller ones around where I live (Heritage Mountain in Port Moody).

harder rd
02-25-2008, 07:50 PM
man you sure look young 5 years back. nice buck would love to run into one like that .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/ShanesBuck.jpg

bsa30-06
02-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Looks like they are hiding behind couches on the mainland, check out your living rooms :shock:

Damn it no blacktails behind my couch,just dust bunnies......Thanxs now i have to clean them up.:smile:

Steeleco
02-26-2008, 01:31 AM
man you sure look young 5 years back. nice buck would love to run into one like that .

That'd be my apprentice, :roll::roll: he's the one that spotted it through the muck, the old man couldn't see at first!!! Now he wants his own.

c.r.hunter
02-26-2008, 01:56 AM
Saw a pretty massive 4-pointer around rut time last season on Coast Meridian (near PoCo range) dashing across the street. Also numerous smaller ones around where I live (Heritage Mountain in Port Moody).

I've seen a couple large 4's up coast as well. Back when I lived there, I last lived up westwood plateau. There used to be some MONSTER urban buck's up there too. One in particular I'll never forget, a 5x5 that used to hang around the old Allards pit before they mowed it down. Almost hit the bugger one morning on my way to work. It was temping to take him out, likely the biggest(rack) blacktail I've seen to date.

humble hunter
02-26-2008, 08:41 AM
blacktails are no different than any other deer in that when the rut is on, the larger bucks are with the does. I got 2 nice 4 pts this year (pics in my gallery)
one on nov 15th and one nov 25 both with groups of does. They were both in the area that the does are always in. Find and pattern the does and in November you will be in business.

harder rd
02-26-2008, 09:47 AM
blacktails are no different than any other deer in that when the rut is on, the larger bucks are with the does. I got 2 nice 4 pts this year (pics in my gallery)
one on nov 15th and one nov 25 both with groups of does. They were both in the area that the does are always in. Find and pattern the does and in November you will be in business .

so once you have found the does do you even hunt the buck befor the rut ? and how do you hunt them spot and stalk stand. I have been setting up a tree stand on a rub line with lots of does around but have never seen a large black tail. In the woods. maybe they just have not grown up yet . but you would think that there has to be at least one big boy in the bunch. maybe I should spend some time in squamish looks like they grow them bigger out there.

humble hunter
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
one on nov 15th and one nov 25 both with groups of does. They were both in the area that the does are always in. Find and pattern the does and in November you will be in business .

so once you have found the does do you even hunt the buck befor the rut ? and how do you hunt them spot and stalk stand. I have been setting up a tree stand on a rub line with lots of does around but have never seen a large black tail. In the woods. maybe they just have not grown up yet . but you would think that there has to be at least one big boy in the bunch. maybe I should spend some time in squamish looks like they grow them bigger out there.

If you have an area staked out already then buy a trail cam and set it up. You will be surprised what comes out of the woodwork in the dark. The bigger of the 2 bucks was shot directly behind my house (where the does hang out). He slipped up and did not get out of there before light. Both bucks were shot within the first 10 minutes of light. I don't start hunting them until mullie season closes in the okanogan (Nov 10). And then I go out every morning for 1 hour and then go to work. I am fortunate that I can do that. After I tagged out I still went out with my camera most mornings to see what else would move in and one of my buddies missed a dandy as well. I also find that the deer are moving more when it is pissing rain, I am thinking that their hearing is impaired in the thick bush when it is raining and they are out in the open so they can see. I am not thinking that I have got this completely figured out but as I spend more time in the bush I am noticing more and more things about the blacktails. I still have my trail cam set up and I am moving it to different locations all the time. They do seem to use the same travel routes and when jumped the same escape routes.As for squamish growing them bigger, it seems that chilliwack has the record bucks, that guy, i think his handle is rock, probably got the biggest blacktail I have ever seen. I am interested to see what other blacktail hunters that have been succesfull would say. We will see what I am saying after this upcoming season, I may be the humbled hunter!!!

ruger#1
02-26-2008, 02:07 PM
First you write in your first post, I have been chasing black tails around for 10 years or so and am starting to think that they do not grow any bigger than a 3 pointer. Then you write on post #25 I got 2 nice 4 Pt's this year (pics in my gallery) I'm a bit confused did you get them or not.

humble hunter
02-26-2008, 03:08 PM
wrong guy, I did not start this thread, I think he was just qouting what I had said on the previous post.

ruger#1
02-26-2008, 03:11 PM
No prob , thanks

harder rd
02-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Ya Copy And Pasted Sorry. Next Time I Will Hit The Quote Bar So That It Is Hightlited. Point Taken

martyonthewater
02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I spend a lot of time in late nov. up in chwk valley area and I know there's lots of big deer up there cause I can here them laughing at me when I'm leaving

rock
03-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Blacktails are one of the hardest creatures to get, let alone shoot a 4 point consistantly, animals of that class are hard to find, scouting and lots of time in there terrain is the only way to figure these guys out. Even then it doesn't guarantee anything but it does help.
Last year alone I passed on a few 4 points as well a few nice 3 points so they are out there they just know when to move and will become nocturnal when theres to much human presence around, thats why I like to walk into areas nowing theres know vehicles of any kind in there, I think this plays a big part whether or not you see that monster buck.

03-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Harrison Lake, towards Pemberton, both sides. Although there is some thought they may be hybrids with mulies. I've taken a dandy 5 pointer out of that region that had small tines sprouting but not developed that may have made him a 8 x 5. The bodeies are huge like a mulie, smaller in the ears, mostly dark outside tail like a blacktail with heavy, narly compact rack. Lots of bucks early in the alpine regions, ratios of 10 to 1 bucks to does....no kidding around. Along with this 5pt. we have taken several 4x4's, and know of a friend with a great 7 x 6.....go get em1 C/T

Paulyman
03-23-2008, 12:08 PM
I spend a lot of time in late nov. up in chwk valley area and I know there's lots of big deer up there cause I can here them laughing at me when I'm leaving

I agree, there are big Blacktails in the Chilliwack area,here is proof.

this deer wasn't laughing as i was leaving.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Paulyman_ca/Scan08152007_133134.jpg