PDA

View Full Version : Eberlestock 104, 105, 107

Brambles
02-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Looking at maybe adding one of these packs to the team, just weighed my Tatonka external frame and although its as strong as hell it also weights 13 lbs, which surprised me because it doesn't seem that heavy.

In a previous post BHB says his J107 weights just over 6 lbs which is much lower that the 8.5lb advertised weight

Which one do you have and what are the pros and cons?

I'm also curious to hear the actual weight of the bare pack?

Anyone with the 104 think its too flexible?

troutseeker
02-23-2008, 05:54 PM
I've got the J104, I find it a good compromise of weight and flexibilty. Just ove 6 pounds bare and it fits very nicely.

I used mine last fall to walk my deboned deer 4km out of the bush. Total pack weight was 84 pounds. I was a little tired but not sore, it worked very well.

Troutseeker

mark
02-23-2008, 06:27 PM
In a previous post BHB says his J107 weights just over 6 lbs which is much lower that the 8.5lb advertised weight

Are you sure about this??? He told me personally that his J107 weighs 8.5 lbs. Maybe it was a typo or mixup. I seem to hear nothing but good reports about these packs from people that have them!

Brambles
02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Eberlestock J107 97.00

BHB

This is cut and pasted from his gear list

97.00 divided by 16 = 6.06 lbs

Just curious, if its a misprint or what

BlacktailStalker
02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Is that the bare bones pack or does that include a butt cover, hidden rain cover, accessory pouches, spike camp duffel etc etc. A few variables in there that will plus/minus that weight.
My J104 is 6 lbs-ish, so...

Brambles
02-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Is that the bare bones pack or does that include a butt cover, hidden rain cover, accessory pouches, spike camp duffel etc etc. A few variables in there that will plus/minus that weight.
My J104 is 6 lbs-ish, so...

What do you have to say about your 104?

Phil
02-23-2008, 07:49 PM
I have been using my 107 recently for training and would think it is closer to 8.5 than 6. I haven't weighed it but am always surprised at the feel of its empty weight. I like it so far though.

BlacktailStalker
02-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm happy with the J104. It serves its purpose well.
I dont like the waist belt when its not loaded up, its too bulky, it gets in the way of my arms when I walk (I dont like it done up when its not needed) so I take it off and carry it in the pack til I need it.
Its ideal for a few day bivy or one of those late season day hunts where you go in light, hoping to come out heavy :):)
I got the whole kit and kaboodle but havent had it loaded right up with the spike duffel on too. Havent even used the duffel.
I will on an early alpine blacktail hunt in september this year.
The gun scabbard is really nice, but I find there isnt too many places I go where I dont want my rifle in hand, however there are places a guy needs two hands to tackle some climbing. Is great on the quad too the few times I've put it to use there. I also used it in a boat whereas it acts as a case for your rifle, protecting it and just means one less thing bouncing around, but offers quick access.
My only complaint is the weight, it could use a trim.

I think the J107 would do well for 5-10 hunts, probably is ideal but for 2 weekers or more... That excess weight lost on another pack would add something mighty tasty for those later days.
I'll need a bigger pack this year for sheep but I am also still researching.
I have a feeling I will go with an external frame that can be used as an extended trip pack but also as a meat frame that can be left at the truck on other hunts and be shouldered after using the J104 to bring back the first load.
I know I originally read about 100 of these threads all over the net and every one helps a bit, hopefully this helps.

bighornbob
02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey sorry about the confusion. That list I posted was an older one from the computer at home. The new list (at home) had the correct weight which is pretty much what the website says around 8.5 pounds.

I will weigh it later to get a total weight with the spike camp duffle.

Unless you find a 105 used some where or in a store with older stock you wont be able to get a 105 anymore as the 107 has replaced it.

The difference between the 140 and 107 is the suspension. In the 104 the shoulder straps are sewn to the pack and are not adjustable at the top, escentially like a day pack. The 107 the shoulder straps are adjustable at the top incase you have a longer torso. Also there are two aluminum supports on the back to make it stiffer to carry greater weights.

Wholesale in Kamloops has both I believe or they did the last time I looked. You should check them outwhen your up for the sheep show. I can also throw my pack in the truck so you can see it if wholesale does not have a 107 in stock. Also my camo pattern is different then the one they carry.

You can try out the pack going for beverage runs:biggrin:

BHB

Brambles
02-24-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey sorry about the confusion. That list I posted was an older one from the computer at home. The new list (at home) had the correct weight which is pretty much what the website says around 8.5 pounds.

I will weigh it later to get a total weight with the spike camp duffle.

Unless you find a 105 used some where or in a store with older stock you wont be able to get a 105 anymore as the 107 has replaced it.

The difference between the 140 and 107 is the suspension. In the 104 the shoulder straps are sewn to the pack and are not adjustable at the top, escentially like a day pack. The 107 the shoulder straps are adjustable at the top incase you have a longer torso. Also there are two aluminum supports on the back to make it stiffer to carry greater weights.

Wholesale in Kamloops has both I believe or they did the last time I looked. You should check them outwhen your up for the sheep show. I can also throw my pack in the truck so you can see it if wholesale does not have a 107 in stock. Also my camo pattern is different then the one they carry.

You can try out the pack going for beverage runs:biggrin:

BHB

Thanks BHB, I would really like seeing your pack and its features. Not sure if any pack can handle a beverage run, thats a lot of weight;).

Does the rifle bind at all in the pack, does the pack try and bend the rifle to the coutour of your back or does it sit in there free? Does your barrel bang against the back of your knees when its in the pack?

Brambles

bighornbob
02-24-2008, 11:14 AM
The rifle does not bind at all when carried in the back. It is easy to remove when the pack is on. It tough to put the rifle in the pack when the pack is on your back. Even the website says place the gun in first before shouldering your pack. SSS was able to put the gun away while wearing the pack. It may be his arms are longer then mine or maybe he absorbed some worm flexability:eek:

The gun only sticks out the bottom by about 8 inches so it shoudn't hit your knee. It did take awhile to get used to sitting down with the gun in the carrier. When it is carried the one side is 8 inches lower then the other. So when I would sit down that part would hit first and kind of push you off balance. So before sitting down on a slope I would just pull the gun out by about 10 inches then sit down and the pack is even. When you stand back up the gun just slips bac into place.

BHB

Alpine85
02-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I got the 107 at the beginning of last season. I'm really impressed with this pack and how its made. It compress tight to your back and dosen't catch on everything while your pushing through the timber. I had a couple loads of deer in it last season and it was super comfy. It has a ton of pockets to keep things organized, also those big straps are sweet while packing out sheds.