PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for a grizz hunt! - road conditions

Beardy
02-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Dudes!

After my successful LEH draw for a grizz, the gears have started turning real fast in my head. I am SO PUMPED! :biggrin: I am so full of questions and I love this place, so many people are willing to help, it's great to see how the hunter population sticks together (for the most part). I was wondering about the forest service roads that I'll have to navigate. The area I got drawn for is 7-38 but I'm sure the FSR are practically the same everywhere? I've got a little 4x4 truck, I should be good right? They don't get too sloppy that I'll need a winch or anything of that sort? What about radios? I was told that logging operations are slow in May during the bear hunt, but how essential is it to have a radio for the logging trucks? It'll be my first time really navigating the hardcore forest service roads and towings are far away and I'll most likely be by my lonesome. I would hate to be stuck in butt f**K nowhere! So do any of you have any tips or warnings or anything I should be ready for?

Thanks a bunch

GrizGuy92
02-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Number 1, don't go alone, few years back my dad had a very scary incident with a grizzly he had shot and wounded, it came up behind him. Luckily he shot it again and it took off.

Geo.338
02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I was up in 6-18 in spring of 06 we weree too early and there was still alot of snow around.We were not able to access alot of the spots we were planning on . We did do some fishing down in 7-38 .There were tons of blackies and we did see some grizz tracks but did not see any grizz . The one thing we needed and did not have were snowshoes .All of the hillsides were greening up but the flat timbered areas were loaded with deep snow.There sure was some prime looking grizz area in the northernmost parts of 7-38 north of Aiken lk. right until you hit 6-18 .
Lots od deactivated road and vehicle restrictions but if you are willing to hike I think you will see bears .There is a guy on here sniper 58 he works up there and can give you info on weather and road conditions .His name is Clint and tell him Geo.338sent you. A radio is recomended but not critical .There are more ore trucks and pickups than logging traffic in this area .Good luck !

BCLongshot
02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Prepare for the worst !

Then you'll have a blast !

todbartell
02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
logging should be nil, they will all be on breakup still. Bring a couple spare tires if you can

Beardy
02-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Tod

K, sounds good, I already have a couple good ones. Thanks for the tip.

Beardy
02-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Geo.338

Thanks a bunch man, I will definitely tap in to that resource! I really appreciate this. I heard snowshoes were a must. I was wondering, all the hunting I've ever done were with quads (often borrowed - I'm still a student) and on good trails. But for all those people out there, the hardcores that hike for days and pitch their tent in random spots far away from their vehicle, how the hell do they get their meat out? On packboards? Can I make myself a good packboard from scratch? I expect to be walking with the hide and meat so a good packboard will be a must I guess... anyone have pics of their homemade packboards?

Phil

Beardy
02-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Sorry for my stupidity but what the hell are ore trucks? Trucks carrying minerals and shit? Why is the logging on "breakup" and what does that mean?

Beardy
02-22-2008, 02:19 PM
I see! Thanks youngfellla! Any good companies for packs you guys recommend? All I know is packs from backpacking companies such as Arc'teryx, Eagle Ridge, ... You guys like the stuff you can get from Cabela's?

Beardy
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I've got to stop hanging out on here, I'm obsessed! It's interfering with my thesis writing! Hmmm, thesis writing or grizzly bear hunting? hahaha

browningboy
02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Make sure you have a winch or come a long, plug set for your tires, 12 volt air pump and some diapers so when you see that grizz, it won't leak down your pants and fill your shoes!

Beardy
02-22-2008, 10:49 PM
hahahaha the diapers is the first thing I packed!

wlbc
02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Something that you may find useful is a 1 ton come along, a couple of 25 foot lengths of cable, and a couple of appropriately sized shackles. Early spring and late fall I also carry a small chainsaw, an axe, and a shovel in my truck.

I have found these items to be of utility in getting me in and out of where I was going from time to time. I think of it as a "get out of jail free" card.

Brambles
02-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Definitly bring a chainsaw and some good rope or cable.

Beardy
02-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Ok, that's some good advice! Never would have thought of the chainsaw. I guess sometimes the windfall block the roads or something?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Make sure the pack you get can open up into one large single compartment. A big grizz hide can take up lots of room and will fill the biggest of packs.

Depending on the area you may be the first ones in there this spring. BE VERY PREPARED!!

SSS

Beardy
02-23-2008, 06:26 PM
SSS

Thanks alot for the info man. I was at the army surplus store and they have massive packs for sale. I'll probably get one of those suckers! I want to be very prepared, trust me. I once shot a cow in the bush and I was not prepared at all, almost killed myself when I flipped my quad over a tree stump at 10pm at night... the wuad and the front half of the cow were over me. I almost couldn't crawl out!

Dad and son
02-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Besides everything that has been mentioned, you should consider tire chains and a satellite phone. If you live close to Burnaby you could borrow my phone. Also make sure you have a map of the area you are going to.

Beardy
02-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Dad

I have maps, I have tire chains and I will most likely rent a satellite phone because I'm in PG and not Burnaby! I work for an office in Burnaby though, Jacques Whitford. Thanks for offering your phone and for your input though! That's really nice of you.

ryanb
02-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I had a draw in 7-38 a couple years ago. It was a pretty neat area, but we were too early. Lots of black bears, but no 100% positive Grizz spotted (too far to tell) but did see some tracks. If you want some tips on where to look and camp, send me a PM.

moosinaround
02-23-2008, 11:14 PM
That is one rough stretch of road in the spring. Creeks wash roads out, and there is not a whole lot of logging up that way due to mill closures. Used to be lots of logging camps, every 100 -200 klicks or so. I think Lomaks has a shop and small camp at Osalinka camp. Omineca Camp, last I heard is closed. If you head towards factor ross/mesalinka area, I beleive there is a guide at the old messalinka camp at 200km. The mesalinka east rd, is at around 189km ish, you cross the bridge over the messalinka river and take a hard left at the end of the bridge. Seen lots of grizz sign on that rd early. There is a bridge out on that rd, but I think a quad can get through. Grizz sign was sick!! on the other side of the bridge. It is a pretty desolate area, but the peace and solitude is awesome too! You should bag a grizz up there, specially if you can hunt instead of survive. What I mean by that is be prepared, take good equipment, and when you think you are ready, check everything again. Take rescue tools like shovels, axes, jack all, cable, tools, chainsaw, and lots of grub and fuel!! Oh Take some cash with you too. No bank machines anywhere, but money is still accepted everywhere! Ore trucks from Kemess travel the Findlay to Osalinka the up the tenachie. Road curfews might be in effect too. I would not go up there without a road radio, sat phone and at least two spares of every size tire you are running. I spent two summers up there camping doing silviculture surveys, from the mesalinka, all the way up to finbow/buffalo head camp. Seen some blackies and grizz up there there that were huge!! I swear one grizz was the size of a friggin VW. Anyways If you would like more info PM me. Ive been in a lot of that 7-38 country. I may even still have some maps kicking around. Moosin