PDA

View Full Version : Spring Grizzly Hunting in MU 7-38

Beardy
02-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Hey dudes!

Seems like I'm going hunting for spring grizzly in MU 7-38. I am SO PUMPED!!!! I can't even tell you!

Anyways, it will be my first grizzly hunt and probably my last chance since I am moving to Ontario in less than a year! :frown: Anyways, I wanted to know if any of you have ever hunted the area? Any special considerations? How is the terrain? Of course I'm not asking for your special secret spots :wink: but would any of you mind pointing me in a good direction, perhaps areas of higher grizz concentration? I would just love to be, first of all, well prepared and most of all, I'd like this to be a fun successful hunt! Of course if any of you are hunting the area, I wouldn't mind joining a hunting party... Let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Phil

tomahawk
02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Beardy

That is on the west side of Williston Lake if I recall correctly, how do you plan to access the area?

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Hey dudes!

Seems like I'm going hunting for spring grizzly in MU 7-38. I am SO PUMPED!!!! I can't even tell you!

Anyways, it will be my first grizzly hunt and probably my last chance since I am moving to Ontario in less than a year! :frown: Anyways, I wanted to know if any of you have ever hunted the area? Any special considerations? How is the terrain? Of course I'm not asking for your special secret spots :wink: but would any of you mind pointing me in a good direction, perhaps areas of higher grizz concentration? I would just love to be, first of all, well prepared and most of all, I'd like this to be a fun successful hunt! Of course if any of you are hunting the area, I wouldn't mind joining a hunting party... Let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Phil

Phil:

You are moving to Ontario after living/hunting in BC?

Ouch! That's gotta be tough.

Wolfman

Beardy
02-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Hey Tomahawk!

I was planning on accessing it through the Causeway connector close to Mackenzie until I enter the Finlay FSR, north until I hit Findlay Manson FSR until I get to Manson Creek and then 7-38 is just north of Manson Creek. I don't really know the area though, but I was thinking of playing close to the Germansen Lake Road?! I don't know, if it's good though, but it seems like on the map, you can reach some south facing slopes that should be green close to rivers and stuff so I would expect some grizz in that area... what do you think? Is there an easier access? I'm from Prince George by the way!

Thanks!!!

Beardy
02-21-2008, 03:41 PM
Wolfman,

You have NO IDEA man. I'm still pondering the decisions, I'd like to be closer to the fam, where my future kids could see their grand-parents... I don't know, I'm a wildlife biologist and even the JOBS are cooler down here... if I go through with this, I know I'll regret it for the rest of my life!

sfire436
02-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Is it true there is NO bear hunting in Ontario?

tomahawk
02-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey Tomahawk!

I was planning on accessing it through the Causeway connector close to Mackenzie until I enter the Finlay FSR, north until I hit Findlay Manson FSR until I get to Manson Creek and then 7-38 is just north of Manson Creek. I don't really know the area though, but I was thinking of playing close to the Germansen Lake Road?! I don't know, if it's good though, but it seems like on the map, you can reach some south facing slopes that should be green close to rivers and stuff so I would expect some grizz in that area... what do you think? Is there an easier access? I'm from Prince George by the way!

Thanks!!!

Hey Beardy

I moved away from PG 10 yrs ago so haven't got current info but now that I know your access plan I'll contact my buddies from there and see what I can find out for you. I will PM you with the info when I get it, I know loggers and equipment operators that have been up Williston working and hope that they will have some info for you. More to come

Beardy
02-21-2008, 03:53 PM
You know what? I have NO CLUE. I actually learnt to hunt and got my first hunting license in BC. I hope it's not true! Or else I'll shoot myself in the head, sucks returning to Ontario as it is... But I don't think it would be, I recall someone in my family hunting black bear in Northern Ontario at the same time as Moose. But that was like 5 years ago... things could have changed... especially when you're that close to the government! I know wolves are now protected... but that's it.

Beardy
02-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Tomahawk!

Wow, thanks buddy! I REALLY REALLY appreciate this! That's awesome, let me know ASAP. I'm pumped like you wouldn't believe!

Thanks again

Rackmastr
02-21-2008, 07:58 PM
I used to guide in 7-38....you shouldnt have much of a problem finding a big grizz if you're willing to work....

Toss me a PM and I can give you a hand....point you in the right direction at least....

todbartell
02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Is it true there is NO bear hunting in Ontario?

no spring bear hunt

ROEBUCK
02-21-2008, 08:33 PM
was moose hunting around manson creek in october saw 2 grizz and the causeway is the best way in from pg i think

Beardy
02-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks Daniel! I appreciate the info! I thought it was going to be!

Beardy
02-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Todbartell,

I think you're right buddy, there is no spring bear hunt in Ont.

todbartell
02-22-2008, 12:23 AM
not for the past few years, anti hunters shut'r down :(

as far as 7-38, I worked a couple summer/falls in a mining exploration camp an hour north of Germanson. Never did see a grizz while in the field but did come across huge piles of shit sometimes. Wasn't cool when all you got for defense is bear spray and a spade! :shock:

Beardy
02-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I guess so... when I started working in the bush close to Chetwynd, we were camping close to a grizzly bear denning site. It took ALOT of convincing to the company we worked for to allow us to carry a defender shotgun. They thought that bear spray was enough, but when you're on top of a ridge with 80km/h winds, I've got news for you, that bear spray becomes useless as tits on a bull.

Beardy
02-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks a bunch for the recommendations mpotzold! I was told that that area was a good one to explore! I appreciate the info.

Remington17*
07-30-2011, 10:40 PM
Hello Rackmastr,

Sounds like you are the fella to talk to. We have two Grizzly draws in 7-38 for this fall. Leaving mid September and planning to use Germasen lake area as our base camp. I have never hunted this area so any information that you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated... we also picked up a Bull Moose draw for 7-37 however finding a good area for Grizzly is my primaray focus.

Hope to hear from you!

Remington17*
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
We were fortunate enough to pick up two fall Grizzly draws for 7-3/8... planning a two week hunt in this area, will be there starting Sept 11th, no quads allowed so will try Germasen Lake by boat maybe or scout the river areas of the Omineca for sign then hunt up from there. I called the owners at Manson Creek and they have fuel and basic supplies and it sounds like we should be able to get my motorhome in during this time of year... I have never hunted this area and do not know anybody that has. If anyone has any information that they would like to share on this area it would be greatly appreciated.... if nothing else I am sure that the views will be spectacular!

Thanks.