PDA

View Full Version : Bears and arrows

Dragginbait
02-21-2008, 10:48 AM
With there being more new-b's leaning toward archery hunting, I was wondering how many will trying to get themselves a bear this spring with there new found hunting toys. Or if you are a seasoned veteran with a bow and have never tried a boo-boo with your bow yet. For those of you/us that are going to take a shot at this:lol: will you have someone with you for a little back up ? Be safe and practice, practice, practice.

tomahawk
02-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I hunted bears with a bow for about 7 yrs and never used a back up person or rifle. I did go with a buddy who was nervous of bears and helped him get a record book bear with his bow but I didn't bring a rifle or bow along then either.
I have a lot of respect for bears and I am very cautious around them but I do not have a fear of bears that would make me need a rifle as back up. Having said that there have been a 3 times during bow hunting bears that I had wished I had one as I was being false charged but that to me is part of the excitement and challenge that makes it such a great experience and memory.
I agree whole heartedly to practice and shoot within your limit!

J_T
02-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I've hunted bears a bit with my bow. Good fun in the spring. Never used support (IE rifle). Took a nice black last year. After he was hit, he wasn't interested in me. He wanted out.

Kirby
02-21-2008, 11:20 AM
I always have back up. Not so much because I am worried about being charged but because if I screw up and make a bad hit I want something to put him down with.

Kirby

Elkhound
02-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Should have taken one last spring. Hopefully this one

Bow Walker
02-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Hopefully - this will be my first year to try for a bruin. Just not too sure whether to go for a winger, or a center, or maybe just stick to defence.

Seriously though, My intention is to get out and get high (away from stinky fish eaters) and see what I could drive a broadhead through.

Blk Arrow
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM
My son wants to hunt bear with his bow this spring. He's still bullet proof but I'm not anymore so I'll be backing him up.

Will
02-21-2008, 04:41 PM
I'll be going out looking for my 1st bear by Bow :cool:
...we'll see how it goes :wink:

Wild one
02-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I will be bow hunting bear for my 5yr and I can't wait till April 1.My best tip for new guys is to not shoot out of your confert zone and make your first shot count.for those going on your first bear with bow hunt warning it is more addictive than crack.

mark
02-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Im a seasoned bear hunter, but Id like to get one with the bow also! Im pretty sure Ill have back-up handy! Anyone want the meat if I get one????

Will
02-21-2008, 07:38 PM
.for those going on your first bear with bow hunt warning it is more addictive than crack.
I dunno about that...crack's pretty good stuff:biggrin:

For me "No back up" probably hunt solo mostly anyways....definately have a rifle in the truck just in case I end up with a Bear running amock with an arrow in it's Bum:redface:

Obviously as responsible hunters we try and make dam sure that kinda stuff doesn't happen but well....Just in case:smile:

Dragginbait
02-21-2008, 07:41 PM
If the bear starts looking like a porcupine then it'll be time to head to the truck for something a little louder:wink:

ribber
02-21-2008, 11:14 PM
HI, In a few weeks the first ever bear hunt will start for me and I'm using a bow, an AR 35 and I found the broad-head thread very informative as I'm going to use 3 blade Muzzy heads and am glad to hear they work well. I'll keep you posted and hopefully with some pictures.

bochunk2000
02-22-2008, 02:45 AM
HI, In a few weeks the first ever bear hunt will start for me and I'm using a bow, an AR 35 and I found the broad-head thread very informative as I'm going to use 3 blade Muzzy heads and am glad to hear they work well. I'll keep you posted and hopefully with some pictures.

Good luck out there...I use the Muzzy 3 blade with great success on deer. I will be trying to get one through a bear this spring. Last year we went for a weekend and saw 7 within 100 yrds or less. The one I got a chance on I got to within 45 yrds but the wind changed and he bolted. This will be my year, I hope yours as well.
Steve.

Derek_Erickson
02-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Should have my new bow right around the perfect time to go see if I can't piss one off and get attacked

wolverine
02-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I hunted bears with a bow for about 7 yrs and never used a back up person or rifle. I did go with a buddy who was nervous of bears and helped him get a record book bear with his bow but I didn't bring a rifle or bow along then either.
I have a lot of respect for bears and I am very cautious around them but I do not have a fear of bears that would make me need a rifle as back up. Having said that there have been a 3 times during bow hunting bears that I had wished I had one as I was being false charged but that to me is part of the excitement and challenge that makes it such a great experience and memory.
I agree whole heartedly to practice and shoot within your limit!

I guess sticking your tongue in a 220 volt socket would cause some excitement and a memory too but it's one I can live without. Just Kidding:biggrin:. I am going to try to bag a bear this year with my bow too. It'll be a first if it happens but I think I'm gonna have a Defender along for back up anyway.

gitnadoix
02-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Until I had a child that is relying on me to supply them with food and shelter till they are grown, I never worried about losing the lottery in the bush. But now with that responsibility the ole 45-70 is always at hand, be it rod or bow I am packing. I fully expect it will never be used in defense. But it makes good justification for getting another toy.

When I want an adrenelin rush I just ignore the wife while watching hockey.....(just kiddin honey)

johnes50
02-22-2008, 04:15 PM
If the bear starts looking like a porcupine then it'll be time to head to the truck for something a little louder:wink:

If you ever need backup give me a call. I live just down the road and know where there's a few nice blackies you can get close too. Can do a little scouting if you want and even have the coordinates on my GPS. And I've got a 12 gauge I haven't tried yet. John

boatdoc
02-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I am definetly going to try and take a bear with my bow this year. Of course i thought this last year too, wish me luck.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-25-2008, 07:36 PM
I think this year I will go after a spring Yogi with the pointy stick

pupper
02-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Ive shot 2 blackies with a bow and will be pursuing them again, if you can have back up its nice, but It does not stop me from going out by myself. I Carry bear spray when I go alone.

Buck
02-25-2008, 08:40 PM
I've hunted bear with a bow till i ran into a sow Grizz with cubs then i wished i had a backup and will have backup from now on . If your in Grizz country when hunting Blacks i would have a rifle or at least Bearspray.

houndogger
02-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Shot 8 bears with the bow no back up. Never got a good hit on one and gave lots of time and followed up with 45/70. Found bleed out. Bears and bows are alot of fun:wink:

Brambles
02-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I shot my first bear with a bow last year, quite a rush, that is until he took the plunge off of a waterfall/cliff, hell of a grunt packing him back up. Had a buddy standing nearby waiting for my word to shoot if I felt it was needed. It wasn't needed and he didn't shoot.

I might just try again this year for another one, but only if its a goodun.

sealevel
02-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Last year i saw so many colored bears .I will be looking for one of them.

Dragginbait
02-27-2008, 09:26 AM
We've got lots of colored bears on the island, they are like a Model T, they come in any color as long as it's black.:lol: (that's a car for you younger folk out there)

Jetboater
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
best advice I can give is dont shoot a bear that is facing in your direction or slightly quartering towards you... bears typically run straight ahead once shot... and try to get a second arrow into him if you can... the more holes the quicker the blood leaves...and get as close as you can... there is a ton of bears out there and they cant see a damn thing so get withing 20 yds if you can.. if you blow the stalk dont get disapointed... you wont have to gut and skin a bear that day.....

rollingrock
02-27-2008, 10:12 AM
So when you guys hunt bears, do you still hunt or stalk and shoot?

Bow Walker
02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
I think the preferred method on the Island is to "road hunt"... stopping to glass the cut-blocks and side hills that are in the sunshine (south facing aspects). Also keeping an eye on the sides of the roads and the side roads themselves. Lush green ditches are a favorite, from what I've gathered. Either way they are hungry and that's what they'll be doing in the early season.

rollingrock
02-27-2008, 10:37 AM
So drive on logging roads, spot, stalk and poke? wow, for bow hunting, that's quite tough!

Bow Walker
02-27-2008, 10:50 AM
So drive on logging roads, spot, stalk and poke? wow, for bow hunting, that's quite tough!
Getting one's ace outta the truck is the tuff part for many people who think of themselves as "hunters".:cool::rolleyes:

Do anything necessary to "spot" the budgers. Then comes the "stalk" part of the venture. After that (if successful) the work really begins...:shock: