PDA

View Full Version : hunting question around mud river area[prince george]

ROEBUCK
02-21-2008, 10:13 AM
hi ,im moving to mud river soon, just of the mcbride forest rd and was wondering if there were any elk around that area.?other game numbers?and also is there any duck&goose hunting near by? 'thanks daniel'

308Lover
02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
Well Daniel you have deer right in your back yard on McBride timber Rd. and moose at the bottom end by the river BUT it is heavily road-hunted on your doorstep. A short drive west brings you to many roads going south eg. Bobtail FSR, a just thousands of side roads to hunt. You landed in God's country there boy--but sorry--no elk that close so far but lots near FT. St. James and to east of town--good luck!

BCrams
02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Not too much for elk there but there are a few kicking around but lots of work to locate them. 308lover said it, as you're close to town, it is a very very busy road with hunters in the fall

Deer and moose and grouse kicking around. Try and get to know the owners of private land with fields for hunting too.

tomahawk
02-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Lots of deer and moose around that area. One morning in a fairly heavy fog I encountered 23 deer on the road along the river and a nice bull moose.

ape
02-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Yes there are lots of elk in that area you just have know where they are. Good luck.

Schmaus
02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
I second the lots of elk thing. They are just very very sneaky :). I hunt down the Greg Creek FSR once in a while but it is pretty busy with roadhunters.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-21-2008, 08:53 PM
witch side of the highway .... the north or south side ...good luck getting permission on the south side from the few owners between the highway and the forestry ... the north side you may have better luck

BCrams
02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
I have sole permission on the south side to hunt a large ranch where we used to rent a house. The rest is pretty much tied up by one land owner who is also an outfitter and I can safely say the elk numbers aren't there like you boys are saying. There's a few kicking around but even I don't hunt elk there. I just go there deer hunting.

Schmaus
02-21-2008, 11:04 PM
I can safely say the elk numbers aren't there like you boys are saying. There's a few kicking around but even I don't hunt elk there

I think you are just underestimating their sneakiness :)

ape
02-21-2008, 11:11 PM
I can safely say the elk numbers aren't there like you boys are saying. There's a few kicking around but even I don't hunt elk there. .

That is what I like to hear. Pass this along to everyone you know please.

Bowzone_Mikey
02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I have sole permission on the south side to hunt a large ranch where we used to rent a house. The rest is pretty much tied up by one land owner who is also an outfitter and I can safely say the elk numbers aren't there like you boys are saying. There's a few kicking around but even I don't hunt elk there. I just go there deer hunting.

I got a buddy that owns i think a 1/4 section on the south side as well ... I have been bugging him for a while to allow me to hunt his land ....

BCrams
02-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Never know, a 500m x 500m chunk of land might be all you need to hunt!

The larger bucks in the Mudd typically move through the area moving between all the smaller groups of does scattered throughout the valley. There one day and gone the next and back again a few days or a week or two later.