PDA

View Full Version : Bear Bag Limit

rollingrock
02-20-2008, 03:23 PM
The current limit is 2 in most regions. Last time I was talking to a friend who advised me to shoot two black bears this spring and not to be too picky. He told me that the population of black bears has to be put under control, which I totally agree. But given the current bag limit, I could only bag one in spring and keep the other for fall hunting in case I have to shoot one. So, is there any chance that they'll raise the limit this coming season?

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I have to ask, why would you shoot an animal because your friend told you to? Sorry but I might be missing something here but wouldn't it be because you needed the meat, wanted a rug or what have you? Does your buddy have the data to show that they are out of control? I know there are lots around but didn't know they were out of control.

Gateholio
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
The black bear population is booming, and most bios woudl like us to harvest more predators.

rollingrock
02-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Last spring I saw four black bears within 2 KM range. None was giving an a$$ about the others being round.

Seeadler
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Black bears eat a lot of newborn deer, elk, and moose.

Will
02-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I'll do my best to take one..........maybe two:tongue:

I'd agree in some regions the bag limit could be raised but Two is pretty generous already..........but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways ! :shock:
:wink:

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
.........but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways ! :shock:
:wink:

Umm...what exactly are you doing with that pepperoni stick Will? On second thought, I don't wanna know.

Wolfman
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
The current limit is 2 in most regions. Last time I was talking to a friend who advised me to shoot two black bears this spring and not to be too picky. He told me that the population of black bears has to be put under control, which I totally agree. But given the current bag limit, I could only bag one in spring and keep the other for fall hunting in case I have to shoot one. So, is there any chance that they'll raise the limit this coming season?

I think I'd be pretty picky - wouldn't want a raunchy old , worm ridden bear.

Wolfman

Eichelherr
02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but i'll be in geo-camp from june to august near Mackenzie, and was wondering if i could shoot a bear after work, i mean apparently you need to take the meat to "your place of residence" but what if i eat it there... i mean i live in coquitlam, would it still be legal?
________
Com?te (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Com?te)

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but i'll be in geo-camp from june to august near Mackenzie, and was wondering if i could shoot a bear after work, i mean apparently you need to take the meat to "your place of residence" but what if i eat it there... i mean i live in coquitlam, would it still be legal?

They are closed June 15th and usually reopen Aug 15th so before and after those dates your good to go. You can eat it there.

todbartell
02-20-2008, 07:38 PM
only one in three hunters in BC even bother to buy a bear tag.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15019

rollingrock
02-20-2008, 08:14 PM
And only a portion of those who buy bear tags are able to cut it.

Dirty
02-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I've got myself and a few other buddies lined up to go for a bear hunting trip. I am doing my part.

johnes50
02-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I live on the Island and I always buy a bear tag, but rarely fill it. One of the main reasons I buy a tag is, if I have to shoot a bear for self protection or find the perfect bear, then I'll be legal. I agree that it wouldn't hurt to lower the bear population a bit on the Island just to slow down the fawn predation.

I see tons of bears, but the bear and the conditions have to exactly right before I shoot one. Has to be uphill, nice fur, berry fed, easy access, and not too old.

Plus I always ask my partner if we really want to shoot a bear today. The answer is usually no, cause we're after deer and don't want to shorten our deer hunting trip.

I also haven't taken a bear lately cause I didn't think my family would eat it, but my son and daughter said they would eat it if I shot one. They've had bear before and liked it. So this year I'll try for a nice spring bear.

This bear was looking at....
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/Bear_Watching.jpg

These three bears.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/Mom_Cubs.jpg

And there was a big male to the left of them.

And my hunting partner and son were looking at all of them.:grin:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Brent_Matt.jpg

Barracuda
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I know for myself I dont shoot every bear i see, perhaps it not the right one (colour ,size etc), perhaps we enjoyed the chase and the bear has earned his day , or sometimes we will see one at last night and we both decide that we have had a good bear day and we really dont feel like haveing to end it working on a bear for the rest of the night.

. I know we have an abundance of bears ( an overabundance in some areas) and I guess one could dump the first one and be choosey on the next but that has never really been out style.

I guess what it all comes down to for us is we have to decide on the circumstances and particular bear and then make the choice to harvest it.

Will
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
only one in three hunters in BC even bother to buy a bear tag.
I know this comes up alot........but I'd bet your left testicle that if they dropped the edible requirements off Blackies and reinstated them as "Furbearers" you'd see a BIG upswing in Tag sales. I realise it was done to appease the "antis" but really they don't want us Killing bears period...whether we eat em or wear em.
Just a thought......:wink:

boxhitch
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Never thought of having a bear tag in the pocket, 'just in case I run into a trouble bear'. If I ever started doing things 'Just in case I run into a trouble bear' , someone please whack my stupid brain.

martyonthewater
02-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Justlooking fwd to doing my part to control the population of critters competing with me for that deer, elk, moose, etc. wouldn't mind having something to grind with all that stew meat either, sure makes nice smokies! c'mon april

johnes50
02-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Never thought of having a bear tag in the pocket, 'just in case I run into a trouble bear'. If I ever started doing things 'Just in case I run into a trouble bear' , someone please whack my stupid brain.

My pleasure.:grin:

Steeleco
02-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Will, I think your idea would only create a small spike in bear tags sold, by that I mean the folks that want a decent rug would likely stop once they got "the one" then the tags again will only be bought by us meat eaters!!!

hunter1947
02-21-2008, 05:17 AM
I drought it ,I cant see them changing what is already in place. You are right thou ,they should have it open to 3 a season.

6 K
02-21-2008, 05:38 AM
I'd love to see a three or four bear limit, they are more plentyful than rabbit around here. Doubt you will see an increse though the pollitians are too afraid the antis would view it as degrading bears to "vermin". I have bought lots of tags over the years swearing I'm going to lower the population some but, haven't shot one since '94. I am a casualty of the packing the meat out clause:mad:. I have eaten two, one tasted..... well poor at best and the other much worse.(someone posted a pukeing smile awhile back,something about eating coyote, I'd put it here if I could find it) I found a buddy that feeds his dogs with bear meat ( I can't believe dogs eat that but...) so maybe this spring I'll tag a pair.
As for keeping a tag incase a problem bear arrives ?!?!?!? If it really is a threat JUST KILL THE THING:!:.

johnes50
02-21-2008, 01:42 PM
If I had a problem with a threatening bear I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it tag or no tag, no advice necessary. If my hunting partner or I were in danger the last thing I would think about was whether I had a tag or not. But since I always have a tag, and if I did shoot a problem bear, then I wouldn't have to call the CO and tell them that I shot a bear without a tag then try to explain what happened. I would just cut my tag and take it home. No hassles, no problems. And anyway, you never know when that perfect bear will show up and you wished you had bought a tag or two. One for the problem bear and another for the next problem bear.:grin:

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
If I had a problem with a threatening bear I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it tag or no tag, no advice necessary. If my hunting partner or I were in danger the last thing I would think about was whether I had a tag or not. But since I always have a tag, and if I did shoot a problem bear, then I wouldn't have to call the CO and tell them that I shot a bear without a tag then try to explain what happened. I would just cut my tag and take it home. No hassles, no problems. And anyway, you never know when that perfect bear will show up and you wished you had bought a tag or two. One for the problem bear and another for the next problem bear.:grin:

That sounds like the best idea.

Wolfman

boxhitch
02-21-2008, 08:52 PM
IMO bag limits are reasonable now, two per person is lots. But if someone needs more, it should be easy to find a friend that hasn't punched one tag, let alone two. Not many hunters target bears.