PDA

View Full Version : vehicle recommendations

bearheart
02-20-2008, 12:48 AM
With gas getting ridiculous and my old truck getting longin the tooth , I was looking for suggestions for fuel eficient replacement vehicle. I have an old short bed chevy pickup 4x4 with canopy. Would like same type capability i.e., place to throw moose quarters, hunting/camping gear and be able to sleep in, in a pinch. I'm a big guy. Ideas , suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Money is an object!I've got kids in university.

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 06:36 AM
Unless your into serious 4x4 ing and need to have a shorter vehicle I would look at a long box 4x4 super cab. I like the extra capacity both in the cab for keeping sleeping gear dry, firearms etc and lots of room so we are not crowded when we travel. And the 8 ft box provides lots os space for gear, animals etc etc.

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Give us a dollar figure to work with - otherwise I'll be suggesting a new $70,000 diesel that will carry the payload while getting much better fuel economy than a gas pot! :wink:

PS - I was a die hard long box fan 'til I bought my shortbox Xcab - I can carry everything a long box does, and the 95% of driving where you're empty is much nicer! :D

dukester
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
If you friends who get a compnay vehicle through work(oil patch) definately ask around. usually mileage out around 120km 2yr old vehicle. employee gets them at a smoking deal. ie. 2008 dodge 4dr 4x4 5.7lt 3500. sells to the employee for $14000. toss in $1000.00 for freindship and you have a great truck at a good price.

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Give us a dollar figure to work with - otherwise I'll be suggesting a new $70,000 diesel that will carry the payload while getting much better fuel economy than a gas pot! :wink:

PS - I was a die hard long box fan 'til I bought my shortbox Xcab - I can carry everything a long box does, and the 95% of driving where you're empty is much nicer! :D

Fisher, with all due respect, how do you think that a 6ft of box can carry the same as an 8 ft? I'd like to see your data to support that.

I've had short boxes and long box 4x4's since 1975, that's all I drive and I'll grant you that the short are better for manoverablity in the bush and less likely to high center but help me with how they carry as much gear, equipment, quads, game or any other items you might need.

Brambles
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
I'm selling the perfect truck for you on the Exchange forum right now.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19611

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 11:19 AM
He heaps it on there like Mr Bean coming home from the furniture store.:razz:

I'm partial to a short box ext. cab as well for hunting. You can pile a wad of gear in the back seat, and not worry about getting it wet, dirty, etc. We've hauled 2 moose, a quad, and 10 days worth of gear in my short box Dodge.

I don't doubt that as I've had short box 4x4's. However how do you get as much gear in 6 ft as 8 ft?

There great to drive around in the bush in tight spots but they will never carry the same amount, its physically impossible. There great if you like to road hunt as they are more manouverable but then you don't see enough game that way or get to enjoy the area or the sights.

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Fisher, with all due respect, how do you think that a 6ft of box can carry the same as an 8 ft? I'd like to see your data to support that.

I've had short boxes and long box 4x4's since 1975, that's all I drive and I'll grant you that the short are better for manoverablity in the bush and less likely to high center but help me with how they carry as much gear, equipment, quads, game or any other items you might need.

The GVRW's of the short and long boxes are the same, so if ya can get it on there, you're good to go! Granted, you lose some box space (1.5 feet in the 2500HD SB GMC) but it will carry more payload than the long box 2500HD (6.5 ft box rated for 3353 lbs, while the 8 ft box is rated for 3194 lbs). That's because the short box has a lighter curb weight but they both have the same 9200 GVRW. :wink: Also, the short box will trailer 14,300 lbs while the long box will do 13,400 lbs.

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 03:52 PM
The GVRW's of the short and long boxes are the same, so if ya can get it on there, you're good to go! Granted, you lose some box space (1.5 feet in the 2500HD SB GMC) but it will carry more payload than the long box 2500HD (6.5 ft box rated for 3353 lbs, while the 8 ft box is rated for 3194 lbs). That's because the short box has a lighter curb weight but they both have the same 9200 GVRW. :wink: Also, the short box will trailer 14,300 lbs while the long box will do 13,400 lbs.

Okay, now I understand where your coming from, total weight is where you were and I was in total space available. I'll stick with the space as I now have a 1 ton diesel and weight doesn't really matter.

johnes50
02-20-2008, 04:08 PM
With gas getting ridiculous and my old truck getting longin the tooth , I was looking for suggestions for fuel eficient replacement vehicle. I have an old short bed chevy pickup 4x4 with canopy. Would like same type capability i.e., place to throw moose quarters, hunting/camping gear and be able to sleep in, in a pinch. I'm a big guy. Ideas , suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks. Money is an object!I've got kids in university.

Why don't you look for something similar to what you have? I good clean used 4x4 with a 6 cylinder engine. You should be able to pick up a clean 4.3ci Gm for $5-7,000 if your patient. The 4.3 gets about 20mpg.

bearheart
02-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the ideas, but you guys are not quite on my wavelength. I don't hunt with a quad, don't own a boat or camper. I put my pack, rifle, tent,sleeping bag ,cooler in truck , go somewhere, and start walking. Don't need big load capacity. Would like to be able to tow a snowmobile or quad if I ever got one. Would like mileage more like 30 mpg or better. I don't need to go real fast (my current aged 6banger will do 120km/hr with tailwind, downhill, and no extra weight, good enough for me. I was wondering about small Japanese pickups, or diesel smallish vehicles. I bash through the bush so a yuppie suv won't work/last very long. Ideas?Lots of people on the island have these little right hand drive 4x4 mini-mini vans,,,anyone have one or know someone with one. Will they handle logging road (including deactivated) rambling? Or maybe I should just continue the perpetual rebuilding of my old Chev? Looking for a junk yard low mileage rear diff now. Thanks for your time. Spring bear season is soon!Wanna take one with one of my old lever actions,iron sights of course:smile:

Phil
02-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Check out some the imported Toyota and Nissan trucks with diesel engines. You will get the fuel economy you asked for and similar payload. This one is not a truck but not a bad hunting rig for what you described.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/car/567773921.html

harder rd
02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
pm husky7mm he knows everything about all trucks new and old. but for me I love my toyota. I am also a big man and it works very well for me . exra cab for gear and 6 foot box for sleeping, older modles are under powerd but very good of road. over 300 000 km on my 91 sr5 and still running strong. love it.