PDA

View Full Version : Easiest area to hunt

rishu_pepper
02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
After reading the "hardest area to hunt" thread, I gathered that there are many places in our beautiful province that are very difficult to hunt in, both physically and mentally demanding areas.

On the flip side, what are some of the easiest areas you have hunted? Factors to consider:

-degree of difficulty to spot/bag game (deer, bear, small game, you name it)
-ease of transportation to and within the hunting area
-degree of difficulty to navigate within the area
-and other factors I might have missed

Let's hear it HBC :)

Bow Walker
02-19-2008, 10:01 AM
If it wasn't "aired" on the flip side, it'll get aired here....I'm talking about the way that access roads have been severely restricted in the last ten years or so.

It used to be very easy here on the Island to get into the bush for hiking, camping, summer scouting, and even fall/winter hunting. Not so, anymore.

Mr. Dean
02-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Never done it... But I hear Clearwater is easy. :mrgreen:

Sitkaspruce
02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Any place you can drive around in all day, not use 4wd, and see game. I know lots of places like that....Clearwater, Gang Ranch, Williams Lake, Rock Creek.....etc.:smile::tongue:

I think that any duck mash is an easy place to hunt, set out your decoys, sit and wait, let dog do the work, retrieve decoys, go home. Now plucking your ducks and geese is a different story!!!

bigwhiteys
02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Deer hunting in the peace... You don't even need to leave the truck except to squeeze a shot off. My F-150 is the best ground blind ever!

Carl

bckev
02-19-2008, 10:29 AM
I like the cariboo and kootenay both have lots of game. I like a bit of challenge and walking, that said it is nice to have enough open country to see what you have to shoot at. Especially with antler restrictions, it can be hard to count points when you don't have time or there are trees all around.

tomahawk
02-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Deer hunting in the peace... You don't even need to leave the truck except to squeeze a shot off. My F-150 is the best ground blind ever!

Carl

I've hunted every management region in this great province and there are diiffcult and easy places to hunt in each area.

The easiest to hunt by far that I ever experienced was the Peace River. If you choose you can do like Carl says and never leave the truck, but just as easy if you walk around (although some of the locals actually stopped me and told me that they thought I was crazy to be out of the vehicle.) The terrain for the most part is flat with the exception of the coolies and river bottoms, there is lots of vision that is a km or more and many of the animals have a relationship with humans and vehicles and don't fear man.

Having said all that I will likely not hunt there again unless my health gets poor such that I can't traverse the prime area's that I like to hunt where game retrieval after harvest is measured in days not hours.

BCrams
02-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Peace River country hands down. You can make the hunting as difficult as you want, but as far as getting any deer, its the easiest hunt provided you have permission to hunt land.

porcupine
02-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Sidney Island on the private side
________
vapormatic vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com/vapormatic-vaporizer.html)

BlacktailStalker
02-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Rural area bow hunting.
If he's there, you'll get him.

bigwhiteys
02-19-2008, 11:08 AM
I have to throw in Spring Bear on the Island too... It's pretty freaking easy hunting. Again you never need to leave the truck aside from a short stalk and WHY would you want to...?

The toughest part is getting your bear OUT not getting a bear down.

Carl

MichelD
02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Had permission on a ranch North of Riske Creek one time.

That was lovely, gentle rolling hills with open meadows mixed with bluffs of trees and the chance of seeing a deer anywhere.

browningboy
02-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Deer- Charlottes - Sit at the pub while you hunt, they're like rats.

Moose- Peace

Deer- Peace

If you're looking for "road hunting friendly places", look no further (mentioned before) than Rock Creek, Gang Ranch, Cache Creek, etc.. defineatly a 12 pack day.

rishu_pepper
02-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Deer- Charlottes - Sit at the pub while you hunt, they're like rats.

Moose- Peace

Deer- Peace

If you're looking for "road hunting friendly places", look no further (mentioned before) than Rock Creek, Gang Ranch, Cache Creek, etc.. defineatly a 12 pack day.

We could all use one of those days! :cool:

Wow it seems the Peace region is the hands-down favourite for being the easiest place to hunt. Something tells me I gotta drag myself up there one day :biggrin:

The Hermit
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I have to throw in Spring Bear on the Island too... It's pretty freaking easy hunting. Again you never need to leave the truck aside from a short stalk and WHY would you want to...?

The toughest part is getting your bear OUT not getting a bear down.

Carl

Nah just get yourself a big ol Warn with a hundred yards of rope! :idea:

Angel
02-19-2008, 08:50 PM
I would have to agree with Rock creek for truck hunting... however if you want to do some trekkin' there the hunting is not soo nice.....for some reason..:roll:

TIKA 300
02-20-2008, 07:29 AM
I say the flat lands of Saskabush,cuz ifin ya had a bullet that would range 10 miles or more with tracers,just fire and it would eventually hit somethin 8):biggrin::roll: LOL !!!!!!!!!

Kidding aside i say Rock Creek (got my only whitetail there off the beaten path)

happygilmore
02-20-2008, 11:15 AM
aparently dawson creek!

rocksteady
02-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Kamloops Game farm after about 8:00 pm, hard to retieve though....

mikek blacktail
02-20-2008, 05:50 PM
stanley park you can drive in you don't need a blind just a bag of bread you'll limit out on ducks and geese in about five minutes.

Wolfman
02-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Carl

Carl, whereabouts in the Peace did you go - if you aren't revealing any closely held 'secret' spots ? ;-)

Wolfman

Eichelherr
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling i'll be paying very close attention to this thread. :wink:

srupp
02-20-2008, 07:24 PM
hmmm

Black bears..Cariboo mts
deer..gang ranch
moose.. Spoken Lake
california sheep..C....NAW not gonna do THAT..lol

Steven :lol:

Jelvis
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Cherry Creek, any buck October Kamloops, Drive out in any vehicle see buck shoot! Jelrok

bigwhiteys
02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Carl, whereabouts in the Peace did you go - if you aren't revealing any closely held 'secret' spots ?

I have family up there and go every year... We hunt on several sections of private land.

Carl

rishu_pepper
02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
stanley park you can drive in you don't need a blind just a bag of bread you'll limit out on ducks and geese in about five minutes.

The actual name of a student yesterday at a school I happened to substitute at. I had to look twice at the attendance sheet to make sure :wink:

Seems like Wolfman wants to hit the Peace area come September, don'tcha? :biggrin:

moosinaround
02-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Save on Foods. If you ask they pack it out to you rtruck! Moosin

gameslayer
02-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Clearwater hands down, you just wear a red hoody (attracts them like mexican bulls) and walk the main roads you can easily lay down good lumber :p

Wolfman
02-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I have family up there and go every year... We hunt on several sections of private land.

Carl

Ah, permissions.

I heard a lot about that when I lived up there. Never got around to hunting while there.....too darn bad now that I hear this ;-)

Wolfman

tikkat3
02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
I've only ever hunted in areas that are steep, thick difficult hunting because I've never had a week or more to hunt, and didn't want to spend a long time getting to a spot, figuring I'd have to spend a few days trying to find the animals, then plan a way to hunt them. I've been told a lot of times to go to the cariboo, and this year I think I'm gonna do it. I still haven't shot anything bigger than grouse but this year, dammit, things are gonna be different!:biggrin:

wsm
02-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Cherry Creek, any buck October Kamloops, Drive out in any vehicle see buck shoot! Jelrok
your gonna get yourself in trouble with some of these guys again:lol:

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Seems like Wolfman wants to hit the Peace area come September, don'tcha? :biggrin:

Heh, heh!

Yeah, I was thinking of it.

I know three guys up there with quarter sections or bigger. One guy won't let anybody shoot on his property cuz he's a bit of a tree hugger (in the peace!!!? yeah, its true ;-)), the other guy moved and the third guy had so many problems with guys spooking his stock he started saying no too.

Can't blame any of the guys who say no I guess -its their land after all.

But ya never know - I'm going up there in about three weeks and i might ask around....;-)

Wolfman

bigwhiteys
02-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I know three guys up there with quarter sections or bigger

A quarter section isn't much land to hunt on up there... If I were you I would look for land close to some of the major rivers and/or creeks. They are travel corridors.

Fresh Salmon, Halibut and Prawns always make a good trade for hunting permission.

Carl

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 11:10 AM
A quarter section isn't much land to hunt on up there... If I were you I would look for land close to some of the major rivers and/or creeks. They are travel corridors.

Fresh Salmon, Halibut and Prawns always make a good trade for hunting permission.

Carl

Hey Carl.

I've heard that - about the travel corridors, that is. Up along the Peace for instance....

Maybe north of Taylor - just hold your breath, roll up your windows and drive real fast ;-)

Yeah, I hear you about the seafood thing ;-) Somebody told me just yesterday that you can get semi-fresh sushi in DC right now. I don't know if he was just pullin' my leg or not, but back when I was up there 'real' sushi was but a dream ;-)

Wolfman

daycort
02-21-2008, 11:21 AM
Yes, come on up, there is a 140 inch mule deer behind every bush.

I also here that nobody gets skunked when they are moose,elk,sheep or bear hunting in 7b as well. I think it is 100% success rate.

rishu_pepper
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Heh, heh!

Yeah, I was thinking of it.

I know three guys up there with quarter sections or bigger. One guy won't let anybody shoot on his property cuz he's a bit of a tree hugger (in the peace!!!? yeah, its true ;-)), the other guy moved and the third guy had so many problems with guys spooking his stock he started saying no too.

Can't blame any of the guys who say no I guess -its their land after all.

But ya never know - I'm going up there in about three weeks and i might ask around....;-)

Wolfman

Take me with youuuuuuuuu! :biggrin: Alas, work does not permit such long holidays... I've never been up that neck of the woods in BC, would make a nice visit I bet.

Yes, come on up, there is a 140 inch mule deer behind every bush.

I also here that nobody gets skunked when they are moose,elk,sheep or bear hunting in 7b as well. I think it is 100% success rate.

I'm trying to figure out if this is an actual statistic or not :biggrin:

CanuckShooter
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Everyone knows the best hunting is in the Kootenays...just can't figure why they keep trying to point you towards 7a or 7b??? The elk are bigger, the deer are hughmungus..and the moose are all but grain fed, and turkeys forgot about them??? Sure none of them big birds up here, just wormy fool hens.

If you come hunting way up here you gotta put up with devils club, crazy indians, maurading wolves,saskwatch [sp on purps] bush so thick you cannot see the sky,,bugs..let me tell you about bugs!!! As big as your fist..no BS..damn black fly tried to steal our cat last year!!

Kootenays thats the place to go, hear they might even have a 3pt elk season soon...easy hunting animals under every bush.:razz:

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Everyone knows the best hunting is in the Kootenays...just can't figure why they keep trying to point you towards 7a or 7b??? The elk are bigger, the deer are hughmungus..and the moose are all but grain fed, and turkeys forgot about them??? Sure none of them big birds up here, just wormy fool hens.

If you come hunting way up here you gotta put up with devils club, crazy indians, maurading wolves,saskwatch [sp on purps] bush so thick you cannot see the sky,,bugs..let me tell you about bugs!!! As big as your fist..no BS..damn black fly tried to steal our cat last year!!

Kootenays thats the place to go, hear they might even have a 3pt elk season soon...easy hunting animals under every bush.:razz:

Isn't that where Kokanee beer is made...and that Sasquatch guy lives? ;-)

Wolfman

CanuckShooter
02-21-2008, 01:13 PM
He doesn't live there, just goes on holidays and hunting trips in the Kootenays. I think that beer is made in Cranbrook isn't it?

Wolfman
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
He doesn't live there, just goes on holidays and hunting trips in the Kootenays. I think that beer is made in Cranbrook isn't it?

Heh, heh!

Yeah, I just found out the beer is made in Creston.

Wolfman

CanuckShooter
02-21-2008, 01:28 PM
I lived in both towns as a young lad....still have fond memories of the big outdoor pool in Cranbrook..and the huge christmas tree they would erect in town. Not so fond memories of the abuse I got in their public school :twisted:

Still got to be the best place for hunting, and close to the lower mainland which should be a big plus now that the fuel prices are going even higher?

hunter1947
02-21-2008, 06:28 PM
Ridding in a truck road hunting anywhere in BC.:lol:.