PDA

View Full Version : Ridgerest?

Krico
02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
Got one?
Like it?
How do they perform versus say a Thermarest Prolite 3?

Looks like it would come in handy to sit/kneel on while glassing, just wondering what it's like to sleep on.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
I've got a 3/4 length Ridge Rest. Comfortable??? Enough.

But it will never get a hole, is lighter than any self-inflating Thermorest...it is bulkier but I keep mine strapped to the outside of my pack...tough as nails. Always use it while glassing.

Highly reccommended.

SSS

BCrams
02-18-2008, 11:20 PM
I've got a 3/4 length Ridge Rest. Comfortable??? Enough.

But it will never get a hole, is lighter than any self-inflating Thermorest...it is bulkier but I keep mine strapped to the outside of my pack...tough as nails. Always use it while glassing.

Highly reccommended.

SSS

Same as above. I also have a 3/4 length superlight thermarest but it comes with the risk of punctures etc although it packs pretty darn small.

pmj
02-19-2008, 12:16 AM
My back does not take hard ground well. I have a thermarest. Used it on frozen ground last fall, it kept me totally comfortable. For a seat I have a foam pad that hangs by velcro from the back of my belt. That is also very handy around the camp fire if you could not fit a lawn chair in your pack.

kutenay
02-19-2008, 05:38 AM
I use a Ridgerest or a Z-rest, I have several of these, under my Thermarests, Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and even my Exped Deluxe 9 winter pad. This gives a big boost in insulation from cold hard ground and also protects these expensive pads as no simple ground sheet can.

I am a firm believer in packing a comfortble bed roll and these CC foam pads really help; there is a super-light type from Gossamer Gear that I am going to order today to shave weight from my pack load and will try to report on these after I try them out.

Krico
02-19-2008, 10:11 PM
I had a close look at both the Z-Rest and Ridgerest today. Ridgerest edged out the Z-Rest for R-value, toughness (perceived, due to lack of joints in the accordian style Z-Rest), Z-Rest was a little more compact when folded up and weight was dead even (within one ounce).
Came home with a Ridgerest.