PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have boy's

horshur
02-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Russell my oldest (11 year old) has compiled a list of hunting related story books we thought other boys (maybe girls) would like. Some have been found at used book stores and garage sales others have been borrowed from the library and interlibrary loans. Russ has read all of them and recommends them with enthusiasm. He particularily likes the dog themed books of Jim Kjelgaard. Most of these books have boys doing manly activities.
Lost in the Barrens, Farley Mowatt
Owls in the Family

Panther, Roderick Haig-Brown
Starbuck Valley Winter

Big Red, Jim Kjelgaard
Irish Red
Outlaw Red
A Nose for Trouble
Lion Hound
Snowdog

Fire Storm, Robb White

Old Yeller, Fred Gipson
Hound Dog Man

White Fang, Jack London
Juneau the Sleigh Dog, West Lathrop
Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls
Boss of the Namko Drive, Paul St. Pierre
The Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Speare
The Sword in the Stone, T.H. White

Please consider not dumping this where it will be gone and unread...... these are great books for young men....

Ridge-Runner
02-18-2008, 05:58 PM
WOW you have a great little reader there and even I've read a few of thoses myself and they were very good, leaving lasting impressions too!!!

Even the quote from, Walk with Wick, another exceptional read and a must for every houndsman.

Tell your son to keep up the good work!!!!

Cheers, RR

sealevel
02-18-2008, 06:30 PM
sure good to hear of a young fella reading i feel like sending him a book

muleychaser
02-18-2008, 07:00 PM
Glad to see some of the books I read as a kid are still around. Gentle Ben and Kavik The Wolf-dog were great books for kids too.

Kody94
02-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Hey, I read most of those when I was a kid too! Great choices.

I highly recommend "North Runner", although I can't remember the author off hand. Great dog story that takes place in northern Ontario at first, then the Stikine drainage later on.

Probably my favorite book as a kid was "Men For the Mountains" by Sid Marty. His newer book "Switchbacks" is great too.

And one can't forget the "Grass Beyond the Mountiains" trilogy.

Cheers,
4Ster

coaster
02-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Congrats. on your young reader. I have been an avid reader and book collector for many years, I think I still have a copy of Starbuck Valley Winter and have read it many times. Good on him..

tomahawk
02-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Reading all those books will bide him well in the outdoors but more importantly build great character.

Phreddy
02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
For lighter reading, and a major trip down memory lane for my fellow 60+'s I can strongly recommend any of Patrick McManus' books.
I recall a book an old timer gave me when I was 13 titled "Great Day in The Morning" by Nash Buckingham.
I think I wore every page of that book out within a year I read it so often.
Encouraging our younger folks to read some of these books will do more to develop future hunters and fishers than all the government programs combined.

Elkhound
02-18-2008, 08:08 PM
my daughter likes those books too;-)

horshur
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
For lighter reading, and a major trip down memory lane for my fellow 60+'s I can strongly recommend any of Patrick McManus' books.
I recall a book an old timer gave me when I was 13 titled "Great Day in The Morning" by Nash Buckingham.
I think I wore every page of that book out within a year I read it so often.
Encouraging our younger folks to read some of these books will do more to develop future hunters and fishers than all the government programs combined.

Phred that's why we posted the list.

SSSister..I read Sid Marty also...his book had the best cover in the School library...

muleychaser
02-18-2008, 08:20 PM
SSSSter, the author of North Runner was R.D.Lawrence. I read it a couple months ago and just goes to show the bond man and dog can have.

Dirty
02-18-2008, 08:21 PM
I used to be an avid reader when I was in elementary school. The librarian and I were like best friends. Some of my favorite books were by Gary Paulsen (Hatchet, Dogsong, Tracker, Brian's Winter, and many more I have forgotten) and Jean Craighead George. Gary Paulsen's books are really good for a kid that loves the outdoors. I wish I would have kept reading as it is something that I quickly grew out of once in highschool.

Jelvis
02-18-2008, 08:22 PM
horshur; you had to bring that up, Old Yeller , White Fang don't forget Wolf King, man that impressed my young mind many moons ago in BCs Fraser valley someone noticed and bought me my first cooey .22 and I got my malamute husky for a friend it was my life from then on til still. Jel rejuvinated

Kody94
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
SSSSter, the author of North Runner was R.D.Lawrence. I read it a couple months ago and just goes to show the bond man and dog can have.

Thanks! That was killing me...I almost resorted to a google search. :)

You'll know what I mean when I say that I have been very nervous about ticks ever since reading that book. :biggrin:

Cheers
4Ster

Krico
02-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Where the Red Fern grows was my fav growing up...I've still got a copy somewhere.

hunter1947
02-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Good for your son ,reading is very knowledgeable ,if he keeps at it ,he might become a biologist of some sort http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

calvin L
02-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the list . This will help some of the members that have kids get a good start on a quality read . Thanks to all that posted up .

calvin L

I know what the 2 little buggers are getting for bday .:wink:

remote
02-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Great post - sure brings back memories of reading many of those books! My son is 9 and not quite as voracious a reader as yours - hopefully that will come.

coaster
02-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Another good couple of reads are " The Old Man and The Boy and The Old Man's Boy growes up " both by Robert Rourke..

115 or bust
02-19-2008, 11:40 AM
Haha I remember reading almost all those books a couple more to add are hatchet, and my side of the mountain. Funny there I'm just like dirty used to read a book every day as a kid even used to sit down and read encyclopedias for fun but I've probably only read 6 or 7 books since getting out of high school that wern't either wildlife management, finance etc. Funny how theres just no time once you grow up eh.

BCrams
02-19-2008, 01:42 PM
I have read just about all of them. Still have many of them for my kids to read when they get older.

Horshur - did he read Curse of the Viking Grave (Farley Mowat). Its basically another adventure sequel to Lost in the Barrens.

horshur
02-19-2008, 03:35 PM
I have read just about all of them. Still have many of them for my kids to read when they get older.

Horshur - did he read Curse of the Viking Grave (Farley Mowat). Its basically another adventure sequel to Lost in the Barrens.

he hasn't read that one yet but will soon.

Will
02-19-2008, 03:59 PM
That's alot of what's wrong with some of todays kids..it's far easier to stick them in front of the idiot box or nintendo then spend an hour or two of one's time and read them a book...or let them read it themselves.

Great Thread.....I copied your list and will be on the lookout for some of them...my Boy is 7 now and just beginning to read his own stuff.

Got him Old Yeller awhile back, we've been working on it together...;)

horshur
02-19-2008, 04:19 PM
That's alot of what's wrong with some of todays kids..it's far easier to stick them in front of the idiot box or nintendo then spend an hour or two of one's time and read them a book...or let them read it themselves.

Great Thread.....I copied your list and will be on the lookout for some of them...my Boy is 7 now and just beginning to read his own stuff.

Got him Old Yeller awhile back, we've been working on it together...;)

Will, I cannot take credit for my kid's love of reading....that is my better half's doing.....I just bugged her about how many books she reads to the kid's........25 novels a year or and about 750 picture books conservatively...

Fisher-Dude
02-19-2008, 04:43 PM
"Starbuck Valley Winter" was my favourite as a boy. I really liked McManus too, and for more humour, check out Greg Clark's books of short stories, especially "Fishing with Greg Clark" - he's good.

I still read the McManus and Clark books some nights!

Will
02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Will, I cannot take credit for my kid's love of reading....that is my better half's doing..
And here I always took you for the nerdy Bookworm type........:rolleyes:
:tongue::wink:

Either way good for you both....they will be better for it in the end. :-P

Farmer
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
My 10 year old is currently reading Mike Crammond's Game bird Hunting in the West. I also have Big Game Hunting in the West for him. I think My side of the Mountain is here as well as several of the McManus books and Farley Mowat books.
I will have to dig them out so he has some other options.
Gord

BlacktailStalker
02-19-2008, 11:02 PM
That brings back a smile. I too was always huge on the dog books and many of those titles bring back a warm memory.
I believe I still have them all actually.
Hope they inspire him and others as much as they did me.

bc-shedder
02-20-2008, 06:47 PM
yeah them are good books i read some of them but the books i enjoyed most when i was in elementry was "BRYANS WINTER",THE HATCHET and bryans return all on a kid whos plain crashed and he had 2 hunt 2 survive i enjoed them he may as well

bc-shedder
02-20-2008, 06:50 PM
That's alot of what's wrong with some of todays kids..it's far easier to stick them in front of the idiot box or nintend0
lol i will say they waist lots of time but im one who loves my hunting games and now guitar hero lol

blackbart
02-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Horshur. Great thread. Like many others that have responed these books were devoured by my eyes as a young lad. In fact most were read on the bus ride to and from school (in between looking for deer and elk of coarse). One that I recently read that should also fit the bill is "The Hunting Adventures of Me and Joe" by Walt Prothero.

For those members interested in finding some of the previously mentioned books for either themselves or their childern check out Abesbooks.com. My wife has threatened to cut me off (the website that is) if I buy more than one book a week.

bwhnter
02-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Man does that list bring back memories. My personal favorite is " The Other Side of The Mountain". Because of this book I got into falconry for a few years and loved every minute of it. I plan on getting back into it with my boys in a few more years.

Royd