PDA

View Full Version : Range Finder feed back

Tikka7mm
02-16-2008, 05:57 PM
I just ordered myself a Leica Range Finder; the LRF 900. I was just wondering if anyone out there has used this rangefinder and if you have what do you think of them? If you don't and you use something different what's you're experience with this product or maybe you don't use rangefinders at all. Just looking for some helpful feedback for a friend who is thinking of buying one as well.

interceptor
02-16-2008, 07:36 PM
T7mm,

I have the same unit and always use it for Bowhunting, IMHO it is everything I need in a rangefinder and unlike some of the cheaper models it is able to target the critters when they are out a ways and give a correct reading.

I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

Cheers Noel

model88
02-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Tikka, I used to have the Leica 1200. Very nice rangefinder, nice and compact. I now have the Bushnell 1500 Elite, love the features, don't like the size. That would be about my only complaint on the Bushnell. With the Leica, I had no complaints!

tomahawk
02-16-2008, 09:49 PM
I just received my Leica 1200 CRF on Friday and it is very compact and works like a hot dam. Very clear optics, seems like money well spent.

Rackmastr
02-16-2008, 10:13 PM
I had a Leica LRF 900 that I used for 2 seasons....they simply work amazing...

I just got a CRF 900 that I prefer only because its smaller, more compact, and is an upright model that is a bit easier to use with one hand. Fits in a pocket easier and is a scan model. Pretty much just sold the LRF to a friend and upgraded.....cant complain about either though!!

Tikka7mm
02-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I hummed and hawwed over it for a while but I finally decided to bite the bullet. There have been quite a few times where one would have come in handy so I think I'll be glad I got one. I've heard good things about them. Rackmaster how much did you sell your used one for?

Ramshot
02-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Had my Leica LRF1200 for a couple years and it sure works great! Use it when I'm calling coyotes. Takes a lot of guess work out of shots. Ramshot.

Sitkaspruce
02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
I have the LRF 900 scan and it is great, measured trees out to 999. The only thing to watch out for is that they are not waterproof, the CRF is. Other than that, I like the shape as I have hand shake and I cannot hold the CRF steady.

todbartell
02-17-2008, 10:20 PM
I picked up a CRF1200 last October, it's a sweet little unit that has enough jam to range trees to 1100 or so yards.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/1200_CRF_001.jpg

pictured next to a 280 shell

Tikka7mm
03-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I just got my LRF 900. Not a bad unit. I picked it up from Camera Land for about 340.00 landed to my doorstep. Clear as a bell and quick to spit out range/distance. Pretty good deal I think for a Leica Range Finder. Can't wait to try it out. Bear season is just around the corner....

fowl language
03-08-2008, 07:11 PM
had elk at 632 yards in the mist my bushnells wouldnt pick up but my buddies leica had no problem,i know have an ex pair of bushnells and a new pair of leicas

Gunner
03-08-2008, 07:59 PM
I have the CRF 900,use it mostly for coyotes,but my partner used it on a northern elk hunt last year and ranged a bull at 650yds.I'm more than happy with it. Gunner

alremkin
03-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I've had the Leica LRF 1200 for a bout 3 years now, I've only used it a few times. I like to set up in a valley, so many of these in mountainous BC, where I can over look a large area. Any time we talk of long range shooting there should be some mention of ethics. One should be practiced at long range shooting and realize your limitations. Right now I wouldn't shoot at an animal more than 600 yards away. I'm planning to practice a fair bit this year and hope to be able to extend that to 700 yards. As opposed to shooting targets animals can move during the TOF of the bullet. To my ethics more than 1/2 second TOF is too much.

Go out when you;re not hunting and try ranging things so you can get familiar with the LRF 900. Realistically speaking except for shooting paper there's no reason for having a range finder with a range greater than what you have. Of course these topics could be discussed in much greater detail, I thought I should mention it.

Tikka7mm
03-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Alremkin/Gunner,

Good to know....

I've heard nothing but good things about Leica Range Finders. I'm pretty happy with my decision to get one. IMO, in situations where you can afford the best you might as well go for it and avoid dissapointment.

Tikka7mm
03-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Go out when you;re not hunting and try ranging things so you can get familiar with the LRF 900. Realistically speaking except for shooting paper there's no reason for having a range finder with a range greater than what you have. Of course these topics could be discussed in much greater detail, I thought I should mention it.[/quote]

Foulanguage,

Not to worry. I wouldn't even consider a shot outside of 300 yards. It's just nice to have a decent range finder. There have been many instances where I have guessed how far away something is and I am sure I have been way off 50% of the time. It'll just be nice to know for sure..shot placement should improve.