PDA

View Full Version : Stone sheep hunting

mark4
02-16-2008, 11:55 AM
My wife and I are going stone sheep hunting this aug 1st 2008. Northern bc. We have narrowed down potential hunting spots to a few different areas. Does anyone have any tips on where to start our search- we don't expect exact locations obviously. We would possibly trade info for proven bighorn and elk locations in the Kootenay's. We are thinking the _____o lake area or ___d river, possibly ____e Mountains . Also considering the ______r area aswell. Any tips would be helpful -we are going with or without tips, If we don't get one that's totally okay- want to see the area for ourselves and take lot's of pictures. Aug 1st show us the stones-sept 10 th we'll show you the elk and bighorn ???

Bighorn hunter
02-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Looks like you have some great spots picked.All spots I would sugest myself. Now will you tell me where to go for elk and bighorns in the kootenay's

Skeena Hunter 1
02-16-2008, 12:45 PM
PM sent

Chuck

BCrams
02-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Stone's are easy. Bighorns are not. Show a bighorn first and then get a Stone!!

srupp
02-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks BC RAMS..."stones are easy "..not for some..lol I am headed back in again this year..maybe with my wife or maybe another hunter..
Steven

BCrams
02-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Grin .... I meant by success rates overall.

You'll get your Stone's ram Steven. I have total faith that you will.

Maxx
02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Grin .... I meant by success rates overall.

You'll get your Stone's ram Steven. I have total faith that you will.

So, does that mean you are taking Srupp with you this season for Stones?:smile:

Stone Sheep Steve
02-16-2008, 04:22 PM
So, does that mean you are taking Srupp with you this season for Stones?:smile:

Hell!! I need two knee replacements following Rams around last Aug:redface:.

SSS

bighornbob
02-16-2008, 04:30 PM
My wife and I are going stone sheep hunting this aug 1st 2008. Northern bc. We have narrowed down potential hunting spots to a few different areas. Does anyone have any tips on where to start our search- we don't expect exact locations obviously. We would possibly trade info for proven bighorn and elk locations in the Kootenay's. We are thinking the _____o lake area or ___d river, possibly ____e Mountains . Also considering the ______r area aswell. Any tips would be helpful -we are going with or without tips, If we don't get one that's totally okay- want to see the area for ourselves and take lot's of pictures. Aug 1st show us the stones-sept 10 th we'll show you the elk and bighorn ???

Lets see the bighorn pics.

BHB

srupp
02-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Bcbucks and several others have been EXCEPTIONALLY gracious in their encouragement..I know one day I WILL be successfull hopefully this year.

Susan (my lovely wife and sherpa..) is considering coming along to share the experience..IF not maybe one of my buds from Alberta..

I still wake up grinning almost every nite cuz i aint thinking whiteis, mulies calies..G bears..its STONERS..and the blast i had last August ONE OF THE MOST BRUTAL SOLO HUNTS YET SUCCESSFUL in what I accomplished..no I didnt get a sheep but I gave it everything I had....

Steven

Buck
02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
I want to go in a couple of years have tried twice no luck.My flyin partner died of cancer awhile back and the new guys i hunt with aren't that interested.I'm 48 now so i better get going soon.

troutseeker
02-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I hear you Buck, I'm 48 as well and looking to go for my first time this year!

Trotuseeker

mark4
02-16-2008, 08:38 PM
bighornbob If you give me your e-mail I will send you some pics of the sheep I was hunting and pics of the spot. I didn't kill one because I missed, but I still have some cool pics.

mark4
02-17-2008, 05:10 PM
I can see that it is pretty funny trading hunting spot information lol. Thats okay. If anyone is serious and actually has something to offer as opposed to trying to get info without giving any, lets talk LOL.

bigwhiteys
02-17-2008, 05:47 PM
The areas you mention are all great areas to start from... Just get past summit lake pick your drainage and GO!

If you're there August 1st you'll see all the hike-in spots as there will be a truck parked at nearly every single one with guys who've gone in ahead of you.

Best be there on the 27th-29th of July to get into a good spot first or go in September when more guys are looking for Elk.

Carl

mark4
02-18-2008, 07:46 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the super helpful info- I was almost embarrassed and figured it was a shot in the dark asking somebody about where a good sheep spot was-But I am really impressed with how many of you are sincerely trying to help- It say's a lot about hunters here in BC - Good natured and helpful !! May all of you helpful folks score big this upcoming season. If you guy's are in the east koots I will return the favour .

Kody94
02-18-2008, 08:05 PM
mark4,
No-one has steered you wrong. Those are all places with stone sheep, and you'll have a reasonable chance at one if you follow their advice. If you want to get away from the crowds though, you'll want to do a little more digging. (although some people might have PM'ed you some gem spots)
Cheers,
4Ster

mark4
02-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I don't think anyone has steered me wrong at all-I am not being sarcastic !!! I am very happy with the help I have gotten. I did get a lot of helpful private messages that I am very thankful for. I just wanted to get going in the right direction, and many folks have been super helpful to say the least. Yes I will keep digging and searching, thanks for your help. Now I need to get ready for some serious hiking- the kind only sheep and goat hunting can offer.

Kody94
02-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Yah, sorry...I didn't mean to say that you did....poor wording on my part. I meant that seriously...no-one has steered you wrong! From what I can see at least.

I hit "submit reply" to quick sometimes! I was just implying that while those are good starting points, they can be busy with hunters as they are the first places most people try. :)

The more remote locales are more closely guarded....no-one likes to spend $1500 each way to fly somewhere, only to find a crowd there. Worst is to find a bunch of people from the same town as you. :D

Cheers, and best o' luck!
4ster

mark4
02-23-2008, 05:10 PM
I can't friggen wait to go for stones- it's killing me- all I can do is get ready I guess- I'm already organizing my pack- working the legs and the lungs. Pulling out my hair - driving my wife crazy- picking out new equipement. Can't handle it.

troutseeker
03-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Since no one I work with or know in town want's to go... I started trying to get my wife to go! I'm luring her with promises of fresh air, hiking, beautiful views, etc... She's seriously thinking about too!!!

Troutseeker

srupp
03-01-2008, 09:48 PM
hmmm I am in the same situation..my wife Susan decided she would rather "pass" on a hike in for stoners..so its another year solo..I am so busy helping grizzly bear hunters and getting ready to accompany a newbi black bear hunter i dont have much time during the day..awwww but come nite I STILL COUNT SHEEP !!!
One day it will happen..troutseeker Calies i can help with stoners I am no expert..good luck some amazing knowldege here..

Steven

Kitimat Killer
03-01-2008, 10:54 PM
hey mark pm sent on info

srupp
03-01-2008, 11:11 PM
hm hm...Kitimat killer...you must have lost me email address..

its..stilllookingformyfirststonesheep@sixteenyears andstillcounting

lmao..

OOPS

Steven

Kitimat Killer
03-01-2008, 11:20 PM
hm hm...Kitimat killer...you must have lost me email address..

its..stilllookingformyfirststonesheep@sixteenyears andstillcounting

lmao..

OOPS

Steven

LOL ya but he's got bighorn spots hard not to trade haha

srupp
03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
yuppers thats worth trading for sure..all we get up here are these smaller version from Hollywood or California or sumptun..lol

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sheeptwo.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sheepone.jpg

steven

Kitimat Killer
03-01-2008, 11:39 PM
thats a nice one thats for sure i do need a cali what you wanna know hahaha

srupp
03-02-2008, 09:19 AM
just joking..you wouldnt want these ones anyway..there already dead..lol

Ill be successful if it was easy..everyone would have one..

steven

mark4
03-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Srupp - I am thinking that when you connect- there will be a perma-grin on your face for about a week. LOL

srupp
03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
mark4..ya I think so too..:mrgreen:..it sometimes gets frustrating when you hear stories like.."I didnt know what I was doing..it was my first trip..and this 48" PIG of a ram is lying there sleeping so when he got up we made the 30 yard shot then walked the 20 minutes back to the Caddilac and headed home... man theres NOTHING to this sheep hunting" :wink: LOTS of guys seem to have got there rams on there FIRST try..

Oh well I may be a lot of things but a quitter isnt one of them..whiner 10-4..:cry: but not a quitter..

Steven