PDA

View Full Version : hardest area to hunt

bckev
02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Just curious where people think the hardest area to hunt is. Having hunted the Kootenays and Cariboo, they are much easier to hunt than the south okanagan (where I live). What are other peoples thoughts?

Gateholio
02-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Thick, steep coastal can have it's challenges...

MIL720
02-15-2008, 11:27 AM
northern rockies.....lots of critters but nasty terrian

Orangethunder
02-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Blue River hands down. Steep, thick, TONS of bears and bugs, 7 foot devils club, stinging neddle, gooseberry BLAH!! I think its as close to coastal as we get here in the interior.

GoatGuy
02-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Coastal and the Wet Kootenays.

115 or bust
02-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Coastal Mainland B.C. Wetter as the west coast of the island, colder, steeper, and so few animals your hunting on faith a lot of the time. On the bright side its frigging gorgeous and when you do see one well.....:-)

Brambles
02-15-2008, 01:07 PM
West Kootenays

SHAKER
02-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Any where you turn a pack of hounds loose is tough, and It's only going to get worse from there!

hunter1947
02-15-2008, 01:29 PM
The bull river area is a hard place to hunt if you tackle the higher elevations.

BlacktailStalker
02-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Coastal rainforest of BC, eg; V.I.
Its wet, its thick, its steep, there isnt the advantage of high game numbers and there's only one GOS ungulate species open to you. Blacktails.
Tackle that and enjoy :)

KevinB
02-15-2008, 02:05 PM
Kamloops! it's terrible here. Stay away. Don't believe the pretty pictures of all the nice pine stands with nothing but grass under them, they're all dead and the countryside is overrun by vermin and foul vapours. Rattlesnakes behind every rock. Nasty. :-P

Seriously, though, anywhere where you can accidentally grab a handful of devils club while you're careening downhill through the slide alder after not seeing an animal for days...has to be the hardest. Probably the Coast but there is some pretty nasty stuff in the interior wet belt as well.

Mr. Dean
02-15-2008, 02:32 PM
The high stuff of reg 3.
Thick-n-steep.

wetcoasthunter
02-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Its wet, its thick, its steep, there isnt the advantage of high game numbers and there's only one GOS ungulate species open to you. Blacktails.

I would have to agree, brutal

Flinch
02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd say one of those ranches in Saskatchewan featured in Big Game Adventures. They can be really challenging and test your abilities as a hunter. :roll:

bckev
02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Watching the hunting shows on wild t.v. is what made wonder. They see more bucks in a day than I have seen in my life. They sit in nice blinds drinking coffee pick and choose a custom fed monster and have someone else haul it out when they are done. NOT my world.

betteroffishing
02-15-2008, 05:23 PM
without a doubt the lower mainland is the hardest place to hunt. lol

sawmill
02-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Try Hazelton down on the river flats for moose and bears,14 ft. devils club and stinging nettles 10 ft tall.

mainland hunter
02-15-2008, 05:53 PM
lowermainland

tomahawk
02-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Mentally the hardest.....Somewhere new that you have never hunted before if you can't find much game or good sign. You can lose confidence quickly.
Physically the hardest......Steep mountains of VI\Coastal area's where there is poor vantage points and thick undercover.

browningboy
02-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Agree 100%

Deerwhacker
02-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Coastal for sure . Wet , Steep , Very hard to see any sign on the forest floor , And tall trees everywhere make glassing impossible and any animal you see is gunna have to be within 100yards or just happen to be climbing at the top of a tree.

Deerwhacker
02-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Easeyest would have to be the rolling hills of the cariboo.

Will
02-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Depends what your after and what one's expectations are......for the average schmo looking to cut a tag.......I've seen some thick steep crap just about everywhere I've been in BC;-)

Jelvis
02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Hunting down into a steep canyon with trees to block vision then coming up and out after to your vehicle with a deer. You need time, a long day, energy, stamina and strength to endure the challenge, and a few nuts loose in the brain helps, strong back weak mind. Jel nuts

Derek_Erickson
02-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Jel nuts

:idea:...................:lol:

MIL720
02-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Blue River hands down. Steep, thick, TONS of bears and bugs, 7 foot devils club, stinging neddle, gooseberry BLAH!! I think its as close to coastal as we get here in the interior.
Agreed!!!!That is some brutal country....Mosquitos and blackflies....makes me cringe thinkin about it

bsa30-06
02-15-2008, 06:58 PM
anywhere i decide to hunt.

CanAm500
02-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Ive head the saying "if you can hunt costal BC, then you can hunt anywhere".

YukonJack
02-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Downtown...(enter your town here)....y'know, where all them big flower-and-vegetable fed bruisers always hang out. Tough bet for sure.:eek:

TIKA 300
02-15-2008, 07:24 PM
The rainy steep BEST COAST,and a couple areas north of the LOOPS :biggrin:

mark
02-15-2008, 07:28 PM
I have to agree with the coastal answers! Ive poked around most parts of our province and the worst, toughest, and hardest, terrain Ive ever hunted is the Bella Coola bush!

Kechika
02-15-2008, 07:31 PM
Agree with Mark.Went Grizwold hunting North of Bella Coola.Thick,Steep,Wet,and just plain nasty

TIKA 300
02-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I have to agree with the coastal answers! Ive poked around most parts of our province and the worst, toughest, and hardest, terrain Ive ever hunted is the Bella Coola bush!

Never been there YET,dont know why the attraction for me,but ill get there some day .........

M.Dean
02-15-2008, 07:36 PM
If you want to find the most god awfull piece of ground in B.C. just watch where most of my animals run after being shot!!! Pretty sure if i shot a deer on the prairies of Sask. that s.o.b. would some how die in the Rocky Mountains!!!

wsm
02-15-2008, 07:53 PM
If you want to find the most god awfull piece of ground in B.C. just watch where most of my animals run after being shot!!! Pretty sure if i shot a deer on the prairies of Sask. that s.o.b. would some how die in the Rocky Mountains!!!:lol: and they alway run downhill
so the drag is up. squamish hands down you cant see 10ft let alone shoot

Spitzer
02-15-2008, 08:03 PM
The Revelstoke area is the hardest place to hunt that I've encountered. Steep, thick, wet, heavy snows.

Elkhound
02-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Thick, steep coastal can have it's challenges...

Bingo. Blacktails are in tough terrain. They are half mountain goat

porcupine
02-15-2008, 08:37 PM
I admit that I haven't hunted all of BC, but here on Vancouver Island, there is just so much territory that is impossible to hunt.
________
Ford Yamaha V8 engine (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Yamaha_V8_engine)

Wolfman
02-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I'd have to say East Vancouver.

A guy can't even get an LEH on gang-bangers any more even though their population is Waaaay up due to the 'Conservation of Criminals' via the Criminal code. :-P

358win
02-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=244622#post244622)
Tackle that and enjoy :smile:
Agree 100%

My vote too.

bruin
02-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Coastal BC is tough for the reasons already stated. Personally my toughest hunt was in the Findley River country. No road access, bottoms are thick with bush and muskeg pretty much everywhere. and when you do finally get onto the mountain tops they are so cliffy and rocky that you can't travel any distance on them, but it's still easier than going around them in the valleys.

BCJunior
02-16-2008, 12:58 PM
west coastal regions of lower B.C and vancouver island.

Gateholio
02-17-2008, 01:37 AM
Use to deer hunt the mountains surrounding Birkenhead Lake & D'arcy(late 60's early 70's)-very rugged & poor access.We had a lot of perseverance in those days!
+

haven't changed much.:mrgreen:

ruger#1
02-17-2008, 03:27 AM
i put the re bar in the bridge to the fish hatchery at D'Arcy, also roofed some of the houses there. nice areas to hunt.

bckev
02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I am not going to complain about any place I hunt again, at least I will be hunting. How do you hunt the coast if it is so thick and you can't see?

boxhitch
02-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Give me a break, guys !!
'Coastal Mtns' ? 'V.I.' ? 'Wet Coast' ? W K ?
It has its aspects, but how tough is a place to hunt that you are a stones throw away from your vehicle ?? Or First-aid, to help with those Nasty thorns , Ouwy !!
Just my Opinion but the toughest hardest has to be the spot your in after a three day backpack hike, because there are no friggin roads or floatplanes, or riverboats. Valleys choked with buckbrush, maybe fire debris, mtns with no fire wood to fend off the frosty snowy nights, in August, rockfall crashing down from cliffs above, G Bears and Sumsquantch going bump in the dark, you-fall-you-die ridges...........
Oh, and no cell phone coverage either.

Steeleco
02-17-2008, 01:00 PM
How do you hunt the coast if it is so thick and you can't see?

You just do, you need to be quick, most times all I see is the BUM!!!
Any day, walking afield, while looking for game is a good one!!

bruin
02-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Give me a break, guys !!
It has its aspects, but how tough is a place to hunt that you are a stones throw away from your vehicle ?? Or First-aid, to help with those Nasty thorns , Ouwy !!
Just my Opinion but the toughest hardest has to be the spot your in after a three day backpack hike, because there are no friggin roads or floatplanes, or riverboats. Valleys choked with buckbrush, maybe fire debris, mtns with no fire wood to fend off the frosty snowy nights, in August, rockfall crashing down from cliffs above, G Bears and Sumsquantch going bump in the dark, you-fall-you-die ridges...........

I would agree

Blktail
02-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Texada

Lots of deer, but they are shorter than the salal and that nasty other ground cover called huck. Huck has a grain and if you try to push through against it, your legs get caught up. I have been stuck for so long that I had to nap before getting out. Worse than that though, is the terrain. It is up and down, in a smallish way, but the ridges don't go far and getting very lost is easy (at least in the '70's, it may be all roads now for all I know). It was never good enough weather to be able to see a landmark if the thick crap would let you.

I wouldn't trade my days there for anything. Got my first 5 deer there in 3 seasons.

Dirty
02-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Coastal BC Mountains. Steep, shwag clearcuts, and wet.

Blktail
02-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Give me a break, guys !!

Boxhitch - Three days hike in the coastal crap and you are still a stones throw from your truck!:biggrin:

tomahawk
02-18-2008, 06:35 AM
Just my Opinion but the toughest hardest has to be the spot your in after a three day backpack hike, because there are no friggin roads or floatplanes, or riverboats. mtns with no fire wood to fend off the frosty snowy nights, in August, rockfall crashing down from cliffs above, G Bears and Sumsquantch going bump in the dark,

Your right these are tough but all MENTALLY tough for some, certainly not physically tough.

Machinist
02-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Holmes River Valley , North of McBride , It's Nasty !! Similar to the Coast , Except for Steeper terrain , Devils Club , And thick willows like i have never seen before :evil:

Shoey
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Easy, Vancouver Island. Too many gates, too many tree-huggers, chihuahua sized deer.

ryanb
02-18-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't think anything comes close to coastal region 5 and 6.

115 or bust
02-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Holmes River Valley , North of McBride , It's Nasty !! Similar to the Coast , Except for Steeper terrain , Devils Club , And thick willows like i have never seen before :evil:

Lol you havn't been up the inlets yet then. no such thin as steeper.

Wildman
02-18-2008, 02:42 PM

1-11/1-13 salal!

kutenay
02-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Parts of the Coast and parts of the West Kootenays are the toughest country I have ever been in; "The Devil's Couch" in the Valhallas, the Inconnapleux River near Trout Lake in the Lardeau and around Bella Coola are pretty harsh, the Big Bend and the country north of Duncan Lake is pretty brutal too.

About the toughest pack I ever did was a hike from Slocan City to Evans Lake and back, alnog the shoreline of Slocan lake and up Evan's Creek in 1975; very few do this as it is a real bugg*r up higher and is not for old pharts like me, I was 29 then and a bit tougher than I am now, for some reason!

GoatGuy
02-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Parts of the Coast and parts of the West Kootenays are the toughest country I have ever been in; "The Devil's Couch" in the Valhallas, the Inconnapleux River near Trout Lake in the Lardeau and around Bella Coola are pretty harsh, the Big Bend and the country north of Duncan Lake is pretty brutal too.

Funny, those are the same areas I was thinking of. Nice thing about the North Coast is the alpine isn't all that high - 4000' and you're in the alpine, it's almost always raining but it's the alpine.

In my books the Wet Koots are physically more demanding.

About the toughest pack I ever did was a hike from Slocan City to Evans Lake and back, alnog the shoreline of Slocan lake and up Evan's Creek in 1975; very few do this as it is a real bugg*r up higher and is not for old pharts like me, I was 29 then and a bit tougher than I am now, for some reason!

It's much easier when you fly! :wink:

358mag
02-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Give me a break, guys !!
you hit the button on the head there Box Hitch
other than the south okanagan with there 10ft rattle snakes ,big ugly thorn plants tons + tons of wasps -hornets + african killer bees,biker gangs loaded to the the nines with m16-ak47 keeping a close watch on there grow ops

Schutzen
02-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Forty feet down on the wreck of the Vanlene in a tide with bull kelp all over the place after the wiley Ling Cod! With my trusty/rusty spear gun with open sites and shootin one handed.
Now that was a hairy experience!

Gateholio
02-19-2008, 12:25 AM
I consider remote areas int he north difficult to get ot, with thier on challenges, but not hard to "hunt", IMHO. Sure there is lots of ground to cover, some highpeaks, patches of muskeg etc, but it's reasonably easy to get around.

The coast is hard to hunt, 10 feet off the road!:cool:

Remote areas of the coast add the remoteness factor and the "thick and gnarly" factor. And alot of the coastal areas are STEEP!!

Even around here, getting off trails ends up in tick brush until you get up higher.:D

Gateholio
02-19-2008, 12:30 AM
Evans Lake..Hmm..I did some hikes there when I was about 15. A few multi day ones. Thick.:cool:

BCrams
02-19-2008, 11:56 AM
the 'access' into some mountain goat ranges in August/September in the Skeena coast range area has been some of the toughest I have ever experienced...... although once in the alpine, the hunting itself wasn't all too difficult