PDA

View Full Version : Overspined? or whatever?

ribber
02-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi , I shoot 65# at 30 " from an AR 35, I bought Beman ICS 300 arrows thinking I would use 125 gr. broadheads and field points, but instead I got 100 gr. broadheads and so I use 100 gr. field points. I seem to be shooting O.K. [ 3'' groups at 20 yds.] Now, should I try and find 125gr. broadheads to try and re-tune the bow etc. or am I making a big deal out of this? I like the 100 gr. for 3-D because I'm crappy at yardage and think this helps by having the extra speed. Any thoughts? and thanks for you input. ribber

Bowzone_Mikey
02-14-2008, 10:07 AM
the 300s are a little stiff IMHO ... shoot thru some paper about 6 feet in front of you ... I am willing to bet you have a low left tear ... and if you get someone to watch the flight I am also willing to bet you got barrelroll action going on..... 340s or 400s would probally be a better choice with 100 gr heads.... IMO anyway.

Now that all said I havent seen what your set up is doing and I can only speculate.... If you are hitting what you want at various distances ..then dont touch a thing

Mikey

Bow Walker
02-14-2008, 10:51 AM
ribber - have you moved out to 40-plus yards and observed your arrows in flight?

I found that mine were doing what Mike said - it looks like a little bit of an "ass wobble" as the arrows move out past 25 or 30 yards in flight. For the cost, I'd suggest getting some 125 field tips and trying them as compared to the 100's.

By shooting from 45 or 50 yards you should be able to observe the arrow in flight before it hits the target. If needs be, move out to 60 yards.

Having someone try to describe the motion of an arrow in flight - as opposed to observing it yourself - can be somewhat confusing.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.....with the arrows, with the arrows!

ribber
02-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi, A friend and I are going to Duncan to shoot on Sunday p.m.,I'll see if I can get him to watch the arrow flight, and I already have 125 gr. field points so I'll try them also, maybe I'll buy some 125 gr. broadheads at Buckie's on the way through town and try them as well, any favorites on broadheads? and thanks again for the help, ribber:smile:

Bow Walker
02-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Broadheads are pretty much a personal preference kind of thing. I favor the "cut-on-contact" fixed blade style like the Montecs, the Magnus Snuffer SS, and the Nap line of HellRazors and Razorbacks.

The main thing is to get any bh as sharp as you possibly can. Then shot placement will do the rest.

ribber
02-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Hi me again, I just had a random thought go through my head , I have contact between my fletchings and my drop away rest, I can see marks on them from shooting, especially the fletch at the 4 o'clock position, from my eye location. I use a Ripcord , there is no adjustment to get the rest to drop sooner or faster, have any of you used a Muzzy Zero effect rest, I am kind of a gadget guy and like the look of them, I am thinking that the Ripcord rest would interfere with my arrows as well

Bow Walker
02-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Sorry, can't help you on that one. I use the APA Safari Twister on both my hunting and my target bows. Fletching contact is not a thing that I have to worry about. Here's a pic. You can get them at Peter's Sporting Goods in Courtenay. Mail order works really well. Ask for Rick.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/Safari_Twister.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4259&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=529)