PDA

View Full Version : Help for Spring Bear

Baja
02-13-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm new to the province and to bear hunting. I'm originally from Manitoba and was never keen on hunting over baits. Since I've been here, alot of people have said that bear meat is great and even better than venison. I just wanted to see if anyone can point me in the right direction to an area that holds a decent population. I'm not asking for anyones honey holes, just a little help. One individual told me that the Harrison area contains some big boys but not necessarily the numbers. I reside in the lower mainland, the best I can do is go for a weekend, so I guess a 4 hour drive would be around the limit for travel time. I also have a modified samurai that I tow behind my pick up, so I'm not afraid of going into some tough areas if need be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

GrizGuy92
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Where abouts in BC are you coming from so we have some kinda idea of where do point you to?

NaStY
02-13-2008, 09:57 PM
Do your self a favor and download Google map and do some pre scouting the Harrison. Squamish area can be good as well and isn't that far. Again, do some pre scouting and go for many drives. You will find what your looking for if you are willing to put the time in....

Baja
02-13-2008, 10:01 PM
I reside in Burnaby

coolhunter
02-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Do your self a favor and download Google map and do some pre scouting the Harrison. Squamish area can be good as well and isn't that far. Again, do some pre scouting and go for many drives. You will find what your looking for if you are willing to put the time in....
GOOD IDEA!!!!:arrow:

Gamebuster
02-13-2008, 10:12 PM
lillooet river or upper pitt river

Blainer
02-13-2008, 10:22 PM
Lot's of area,Lot's of bears.
Boston Bar produces some fine bears,Anderson mnt.,about 1 mile before Boston Bar on the right.
Lot's of roads off Coquihalla past the toll booth,all should produce bears.
Hunt late May or early June after snow is gone.
Good luck
p.s. In my mind,there is no way bear tastes better than deer.

moosinaround
02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
Bear makes wicked pepperonies, smokies and sausage. You can't beat a bear smokie on the barbq! Moosin

plumbob
02-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Chilliwack lake road is a good one.Pretty much any where around hope on the logging roads.Around agassiz both sides of harrison lake.Merrit is close and has some excellent hunting.

Dad and son
02-13-2008, 11:17 PM
There are many bears in all parts of BC. I do not see the sense in pre scouting or pouring over detailed maps. In most instances any time spent in the woods will result in seeing bears. Look for green grass in the spring and you will find bears. Look for berries in the fall and you will find bears. I think the most I have seen is 3 separate bears eating berries in one cut block. Any of the backroads in the Squamish, Whistler area will hold bears. Vancouver Island is well known for holding lots of bears. My kids who are 12 and 14 have shot 1-2 bears each the last 2-3 years so they are not hard to find or shoot. Regarding the taste of bears you will find lots of threads on here about their taste. Of the last 4 bears my kids have shot, 3 were delicous (in my opinion better than deer)and 1 was not edible. All were handled the same way, none were super old and none were shot anywhere near a salmon stream. I guess it is discrepancies like this that contribute to different ideas about how bears taste. I live in Burnaby and would consider taking any new bear hunters like yourself out if you want a hunting partner.

HighCountry
02-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Hey Grizzboy you can pm me in spring I'll take you out.I leave in pittmeadows not that far from Burnaby.

Wolfman
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I've never hunted Bear either.

Sounds like it would be an interesting challenge since I've been chased more than a few times by bears and it would be universal justice for me to be doing the chasing this time around ;-)

Wolfman

Mr. Dean
02-14-2008, 01:38 AM
All that you need to really do IMO, is just get to a rather quiet area and look around, focusing on feed. BC has a butload of Bears.

hunter1947
02-14-2008, 04:51 AM
Welcome to the site. Why don't you come over to the island ,I will take you out ,no problem's ,lots of bears on this rock. It will save you a 4 hr drive if you are headed north from wear you live.:wink:.

kastles
02-14-2008, 09:14 PM
how can you tell how old a bear is? if it is older than two or not?

bsa30-06
02-14-2008, 09:18 PM
I usually see more then a few color phased blackies in the 3-17 area.

BCLongshot
02-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Read the regs.

Please don't shoot the small 1's

Baja
02-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks all for sharing your knowledge, great forum to be a part of.

Will
02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
how can you tell how old a bear is? if it is older than two or not?
If it's alone and not obviously the size of a small dog...it's likely more then 2 ;-)

If it's in a group......it's off limits regardless of size ;-)

Hope this helps...abit:neutral:

Derek_Erickson
02-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Have a look at this PIG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUWIhZZ1w-A

Will
02-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Have a look at this PIG

As much as I'd like to try that.......I don't think I'd have the kahonas to draw on that fella !
That's one Giant Bear.......................:eek:

srupp
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
C'MON Will its EASY..get the draw..Ill come along..ya got BB..ya got sheep ya got deer NOW ya need a gronk G bear

Steven

Will
02-15-2008, 06:33 PM
C'MON Will its EASY..get the draw..Ill come along..ya got BB..ya got sheep ya got deer NOW ya need a gronk G bear

Steven
I'd love to tag that fella with a trad Bow....but i just soiled myself even thinking about it...:lol:

When he stands up in that video looking for the source of that sharp sting in his side.......simply scary ! ;-)

04-16-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm in the same situation as grizzboy,
I went up to pemeberton looking a 2 weeks ago but didn't see anything I even drove the road from pemberton to harrison lake but got stoped by the snow and had to turn around just past 5 mile bay.
I live near ubc and was thinking of doing a day trip up to harrison, on thursday or friday, has anyone seen any bears around there? any particular roads I should I should drive?I have a yj jeep with a 10 inch lift and 33 inch tires, so I can go just about anywhere.'
thanks al lot for the help.

aspo
04-18-2008, 01:57 AM
i live in langley, ive been to boston bar, chilliwack lake and cache creek all for black bear. They are all farely close driving distance. My favorite spot was cache creek but i go to chilliwack the most often. its only about 1 hour drive for me.

hunter1947
04-18-2008, 03:20 AM
20klm befor you get into Princeton Friday creek is a good area ,hunt down towards the similkameen river bottom.

04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
yesterday I drove almost every road on the south west of Harrison and didn't see as much as a bear track. saw a fews deer, but that was it. I guess they need a few more weeks there?