PDA

View Full Version : Elk Seminar in BC ???

Call of the Wild
02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
I知 just wondering if anyone knows about any elk hunting/bugle/calling seminars. I live in Peace River, Alberta but I知 really interested to attend a seminar. I知 ready to travel to attend one.

I started hunting elk this year. We hunted hard and covered a lot of ground. Bugled a few bulls and the last afternoon of our trip my buddy shot a small elk, good meat. I bought some elk dvd recently. Its not commercial stuff, the guys show how to call, what they mean, what to respond when you hear a call and more.

With that I値l gain 5-10 years of experience. I知 looking for a path to follow (calling, how to locate them, what they need etc), I don稚 want to count on luck for hunting. For everything I hunt I want to understand the animal, his needs, his behavior etc. so I can adapt to the situation as they come in the bush.

Now I have a new job that will allow me a lot of time to hunt.

Thanks for your help

Call of the Wild

plumbob
02-13-2008, 11:29 PM
If there is maybe at the abbottsford outdoor show,other than that I'm not sure but I'll ask some buddies.

hunter1947
02-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Knowing elk behaviour is a must all right , I have been hunting them for a long time and I still can't figure them out ,they do just the opposite thing when you think they won't. What I have found with elk is when you find them thats when you work them. Working them means finding out the path of travel to there beading areas and there path to there feeding areas late in the day. Once you know this you have a good handle for your next step. The next step is find a good place to set up about 3hr before sunset ,make sure you are down wind of the areas they will come out of. In the morning sneak in at the first of daylight and set up ,don't get to close to there exit area ,then give 1 or 2 bugles thats it ,then shut up ,they will hear that bugle from you. Some hunters that hunt for elk bugle to many times and the elk figure out that its not one of them they know its a hunter and shy away from you. A few cow calls directed at different angles works great as well. I cow call 4 or 5 times then shut up for 10 min ,then if no return calls I move on about 200 yards and do some cow calling again ,this works for me ,I have brought more bulls in buy cow calls then bugling ,keep that in mind. You will know when you have found elk ,the ground is beat up like a cow barn and smells like cows ,the tress in the area are rubbed you cant miss an elk rub they usually pick on pine trees ,they can rub them from the ground up to 7 feet hi. Elk like being around water as well look for that. I have seen elk travel from there bedding areas to water 10klm away.. Elk like black timber they move from there feeding area into the dark timber just after sunrise. If you do hunt the timber move very slow ,walk 10 feet stop and glass for a short time then move on and do the same ,look for an ear or an antler when doing this ,make sure you are headed into the wind ,wind does change direction lots ,but most of the time it will be in your favor. As for bugling just practice with your bugle as much as you can ,I would say about 3 times a week for about 1/2 hr each time ,Use the cow call as well ,when hunting season comes this year you will be a master at calling. When I bugle for elk ,I give one call then shut up and listen ,if a bull ensures you give him one right back ,copy him if he calls you call. If this bull is headed away from you then you are proubly dealing with a herd bull that just give you warning call telling you to stay away from his ladies. When this is the case I then shut up and head towards him as fast as I can and as quit as I can ,if he is about 300 yard away from you cover 100 yards then sit and listen for a sort time maybe 5 min ,if you don't hear from him move in closer but be very alert he could be in sight at anytime. Once you think you are close to him set up and give 3 or 4 cow calls then shut up and let him make his next move ,if he bugles to you don't bugle back to him ,just give him a few more cow calls ,if you bugle to him I have found that in most cases he will take his cows and make a quick exit over the next mountain . One thing to keep in mind at all times make sure you have the wind in your face at all times.. I hope this will help you some ,if you need anymore input send me a private message and I will be glad to help you. O ya one more thing ,the best time to hunt elk that I have found is the last two weeks of Sept. Good luck this year.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif. Wayne. Wow this took me one hr to put together

bighornbob
02-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Most of the big US huntinf shows always have a bugling presentation. I went to the Seattle sportmans show about 15 years ago and Larry Jones (a well known call maker back then) was there selling his calls and he had some demos throughout the day.

BHB

Call of the Wild
02-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Knowing elk behaviour is a must all right , I have been hunting them for a long time and I still can't figure them out ,they do just the opposite thing when you think they won't.

I truly understand that quote. Everyone learn more with time and deer, moose, elk etc have basic needs and will change their behavior depending on many factor (hunting pressure, weather, food).

Thanks Wayne, I'll keep your advice in mind.

Call of the Wild

johnes50
02-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Try and learn how to do this and you'll be all set..:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv90QzhegTw

hunter1947
02-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Try and learn how to do this and you'll be all set..:smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv90QzhegTw
Holy smackers that person really knows how to bugle I still can't believe it is coming from his mouth ,I think it is fake.

johnes50
02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
My son thinks it is too, and it might be, but if not then he sure has a set of lungs on him. If you look at his neck when he does it it looks like he is really doing it.