PDA

View Full Version : Diesel heater for wall tent

ryanb
02-10-2008, 09:16 PM
I've been looking at these mostly because I dream of the wood-stove that goes all night without you having to touch it...sadly no such thing exists. So I've had a look at a few diesel heaters. Saw a small one recently that will burn for 10 hours on less than one gallon on high. It is rated at 12,000 BTU on high, just wondering if this is enough for either a 14x16 or 12x14 tent. I know the woodstove is MORE than enough heat, but who knows how many "BTU's" it puts out...

Anyone else have any experience using one? It's hard to beat wood, but when it comes to not having to stoke the stove, nothing comes close to these diesels.

Kody94
02-10-2008, 09:33 PM
They ain't cheap (none of them are), but the Herman Nelson m1950 Yukon stove with the diesel attachment on does keep the chill off of a 14x16' tent when its 20 below outside. Not sure what the BTUs are.

Cheers
4Ster

MattB
02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
We used an air tight woodstove in our wall tent and it would burn all night, it was awesome! Unfortunately my dad made my brother throw it out so we dont have it anymore. You can pick up used airtight woodstoves in the buy and sell for fairly cheap though and they will burn all night!

Big7
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
We have a huge diesel stove for our project shelter at work (14x24) and it works ok as long as you hold your mouth right!!! We had some issues with it actually burning hot enough to keep the tent warm....$400 in parts later and it still couldn't replace a good wood stove. This was an older model and I'm sure they are better now (as this one was when it was new) but IMO wood is still the way to go.

You think getting up to stoke the fire is an issue, try pissing around with a diesel furnace, fuel lines, jerry cans etc. with headlamps at 3 in the morning...sometimes easier just to throw another log on the fire!!

Big7
02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
The other thing is, if you are in a remote area and have to stay longer than you thought, run the stove at high for longer etc, diesel sometimes isn't easy to come by (as easy as more wood anyway) and taking that diesel stove in on a fly in hunt is pretty much out of the question (too much wieght)

Kody94
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
BTW, the stove I refer to above burns wood and/or diesel. Use wood when you are awake, turn the deisel on when you turn out the lights....no stoking in the middle of the night, and just fill it with wood and turn the diesel of when you get up in the AM. Cats behind, really.

I have an airtight for my wall tent. Best I can get with it and pine or spruce is about 4 or 5 hours....so I am up at least once a night to stoke it. Fir/larch or birch will get you 6 hours. :)

Cheers,
4Ster

Kody94
02-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Also, the stove I mentioned is very small....not bad at all for a fly in hunt, if you are taking a wall tent anyway, a couple jerry cans of diesel aint bad.

Vader
02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
made one out of a 40lb propane tank.. burns 7-8 hours on a full load of wood and usually you don't have to have any covers on til minus 15 or so in a 12x14. You cant use this one on a fly in but certainly won't burn out for many years..