PDA

View Full Version : Kamloops Lake California Bighorn Numbers and Hunting

ruttinbuck
02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I have been watching the sheep at Kamloops lake for sometime now{25+years} and based on what I am seeing,I am going to ask a question for our members that also belong to the BCWSA.
We all know the numbers of sheep at Kamloops lake are up.I see rams now everytime I drive out to tranquille creek and start glassing{year round not just winter}start hiking and the sightings just go up.
Fifteen years ago you could find them but you had to hike and easier to find in late winter,now there are at least 4-5 herds of rams{sighting 10-25 rams is normal} from the east side of Mara hill to Cooney Bay.
Twenty years ago there was'nt one california big horn on the South Thompson river range,the sheep at Tranquille migrated over and now the numbers can support an income hunt for the KIB and a resident hunter LEH hunt.
The area that has the LEH seasons for Rams is at the west end of the lake and although I am not as familiar with the herds there I know guys that live and hike down that way and the sheep are now on ranges west toward Cache Creek that traditionally did'nt hold sheep.
The earliest LEH booklet I have{my bad}is 1991-92,that year there were 4 rams and 2 ewes given out LEH at Kamloops lake.
Last season there were 2 rams and 1 ewe given out in the LEH at Kamloops Lake.
The number of trophy quality rams{150"+} being observed at tranquille regularily is higher than ever.I realize the area has never had a LEH draw,I realize we need feeder stock for restocking historical sheep ranges.
However we are going to see these majestic animals die off from the same parasites as other ranges if we don't have some way of controlling the numbers.
I know we have some very knowledgable sheep society members posting here.Can someone please give me some kind of idea where the management plan lies?
PM me if you would rather but I am open to input to understand why we are not using this valuable resource that we as hunters funded to start in the first place.
Sorry for the longwinded speel but needed to cover a few points.RB

Bighorn hunter
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Nice to hear the numbers are up, I had the draw in 95 if I remember right. We saw some nice rams at that time closer to kamloops, but =had a hard time finding any mature rams in the leh area. I did get a nice represenative ram that was 6&1/2. With so many people interested in the tags and with the numbers strong the biologist should be looking at increasing the tags. Lets hope they do.

bhh

Will
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
The number of trophy quality rams{150"+} being observed at tranquille regularily is higher than ever.I realize the area has never had a LEH draw,I realize we need feeder stock for restocking historical sheep ranges.

The two Ram tags that go out for Tranquille (329-A) actually extend back to Rosseau creek....or do you mean the area between Tranquille river and Rosseau ?
If so I'd agree........it's certainly time to Up the LEH tag numbers and maybe even rethink the Boundary for the 329-A tags;-)

Jelvis
02-10-2008, 07:02 PM
If you want fantastic photos, world class ones of sheep? Theres a big band of sheep right beside Ord road in N Kamloops with massive horned rams they are wild but their right across from the trailer park where my buddy lives. You can take pictures only yards away, the biggest ram stays above all the rest on the rocky bluffs looking over the flock and he is massive, I wouldn't want to get charged by that one. A telephoto lens would work wonders. According to my buddy the sheep migrate there at least two times of the year for weeks at a time. The trailer park fellas watch the sheep everyday. Brock Boys

Caveman
02-10-2008, 07:05 PM
The two Ram tags that go out for Tranquille (329-A) actually extend back to Rosseau creek....or do you mean the area between Tranquille river and Rosseau ?
If so I'd agree........it's certainly time to Up the LEH tag numbers and maybe even rethink the Boundary for the 329-A tags;-)
If I get the draw I'll do just what we did in the transfer last week. Pick out a big one and push him until he's under the net.........I mean within the boundary of the LEH. :wink::wink: Nobody would believe it anyways!!:lol:

ruttinbuck
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Will I realize that Rosseau is the east boundary of the draw zone.I have it on good authority the numbers are up in the draw zone as well.I just have'nt been down there personally to get some footage.We definately need more zones approved and more draws as I am talking about Cooney bay east in my first post.RB

ruttinbuck
02-10-2008, 07:16 PM
If you want fantastic photos, world class ones of sheep? Theres a big band of sheep right beside Ord road in N Kamloops with massive horned rams they are wild but their right across from the trailer park where my buddy lives. You can take pictures only yards away, the biggest ram stays above all the rest on the rocky bluffs looking over the flock and he is massive, I wouldn't want to get charged by that one. A telephoto lens would work wonders. According to my buddy the sheep migrate there at least two times of the year for weeks at a time. The trailer park fellas watch the sheep everyday. Brock Boys
Jelvis the sheep arrive on the beacon hill over the winter everytime it snows substantially.I live just off Mclean St and can film them off my deck if I want to.The pics posted 2 days ago in the sheep thread are of the big ram you have mentioned.Saw bigger today further west.RB:wink:

boxhitch
02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
,I am going to ask a question for our members that also belong to the BCWSA.

If you are refering to the Wild Sheep Society of BC, they are a conservation group, looking out for the interests of the Wild Sheep. Most of the members Happen to be hunters, which is normal, as hunters are the best Conservationists.
The Cali herds along the Thompson are in good shape.

I would suggest contacting the local Sportsmans Club as they have been doing an annual count for a few years, and could shed some real light on the pop. numbers.
It would be up to the local clubs and/or the BCWF to launch a campaign to change the harvest opportunity.
IMHO

ruttinbuck
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
If you are refering to the Wild Sheep Society of BC, they are a conservation group, looking out for the interests of the Wild Sheep. Most of the members Happen to be hunters, which is normal, as hunters are the best Conservationists.
The Cali herds along the Thompson are in good shape.

I would suggest contacting the local Sportsmans Club as they have been doing an annual count for a few years, and could shed some real light on the pop. numbers.
It would be up to the local clubs and/or the BCWF to launch a campaign to change the harvest opportunity.
IMHO
Thanks for correcting me on the title of the sheep society.I think I know a local member andwill be talking to him in regards to future plans for these sheep.RB

Will
02-10-2008, 09:07 PM
If I get the draw I'll do just what we did in the transfer last week. Pick out a big one and push him until he's under the net....
Best way to "Hunt" that heard is too glass them from the Savona side of the river...Pick out a nice fat one/or horny one whichever your pleasure...then drive around, walk up and stick your rifle in it's ear. No nets needed ! ;-)

But I'd be game for your plan....given the Ram I saw down in the dewdrop a couple weeks back:eek:

boxhitch
02-10-2008, 09:30 PM
andwill be talking to him in regards to future plans for these sheep.RBKeep us posted, '2 permits for any ram' is a longshot draw. And with the talk of Tranquile numbers being too high for the new golf course ........

ruttinbuck
02-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Keep us posted, '2 permits for any ram' is a longshot draw. And with the talk of Tranquile numbers being too high for the new golf course ........
I had totally forgot about Cundari's planned resort.Is that a go?
Sun Rivers all over again but with no traffic to tag the odd sheep.RB

Will
02-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Sun Rivers all over again but with no traffic to tag the odd sheep.RB
Yep but the train will certainly claim a few I'd bet.....:neutral:
Oh well........LEH here we come ! :D

Caveman
02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
But I'd be game for your plan....given the Ram I saw down in the dewdrop a couple weeks back:eek:

Okay Rick, You're in!!;-)

boxhitch
03-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Getting kind of late for new submissions of BCWF resolutions, better get started boys !!

03-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Getting kind of late for new submissions of BCWF resolutions, better get started boys !!

It's way too late already for BCWF convention resolutions, but wildlife management is not dealt with through resolutions, get a hold of any local club and make your case, would be easier if you were a member. Clubs submit regulation proposals annually either directly to the WLB or to the regional advisory committee if there is one over there.

boxhitch
03-17-2008, 05:52 AM
My bad. I thought the first on to turn to, for adjustment of opportunity, would be the local club then on to the BCWF.

GoatGuy
03-17-2008, 07:15 AM
AAH should be around 4% as that is an easily relatively easily 'observed' herd.

Anybody have pop est?

All my stuff is at the house.

03-17-2008, 07:18 AM
My bad. I thought the first on to turn to, for adjustment of opportunity, would be the local club then on to the BCWF.

Correct regarding the local clubs.

showtimebc
03-17-2008, 09:48 AM
here are a few of those sheep you guys are talking about.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/6950/buck07039rg1.jpg

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/7614/buck07037ox1.jpg