PDA

View Full Version : Of concern to all

islandboy
02-10-2008, 07:22 AM
The reaction to today's story (9 Feb) of the Prince Rupert Wolf cull proposal has been swift.....
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=954abc01-30d5-4a6d-a7a7-fb8ef0759272&k=66261

mark
02-10-2008, 08:57 AM
Let it be known that the "Mark" that posted a comment was not me!!!!!!!!!!
As usual, a bunch of ignorant, hugger type, people responding!

Marc
02-10-2008, 08:58 AM
lol I just posted up and you should recognize my handle huntingbc :cool:

Sitkaspruce
02-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Maybe I am mssing the point, but are they bowhunting the wolves, or the deer? I get that there is an over abundance of deer, so are they going to thin out the deer and the wolves will leave, or just bow hunt the wolves?

Bow hunting the wolves will be a very slow and, IMO, useless way to control the pop. Wolves are not stupid and they are not like deer. Lots of long hours in a tree stand, or maybe off someones porch, with Fluffy tied to a long leash, and you might get lucky.

If there is a concern, then trap them, hunt them and also control their prey.

bsa30-06
02-10-2008, 09:25 AM
i just added my 2 cents worth, you'll recognize my comments same name i use here.i really dont think that all the comments will change the way these people think no matter how well written and thought out they are, but i had to voice my opinion anyway, and suggest others to do the same.Keep it civil or you just make all hunters look bad.

ruger#1
02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
idiots in high rises never see animals, maybe the odd bird turd on their window, how can you change their attitude, Send them to rupert fo a couple of months, Their tune will change then.

bsa30-06
02-10-2008, 12:16 PM
i see they have posted marcs comments which pretty much reflect what i was thinking.

Wolfman
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey all.

Yeah, I noticed those comments - and the one by Mike W - who I agree with, by the way even though it was NOT me writing that ;-)

I think it would be great to let bowhunters in there. It would be a lot less noisy, and the problem could be managed in a respectful, efficient way.

Wolfman
AKA Mike Wolf

Vancouver, BC

Wolfman
02-10-2008, 12:48 PM
idiots in high rises never see animals, maybe the odd bird turd on their window, how can you change their attitude, Send them to rupert fo a couple of months, Their tune will change then.

So true.

Unfortunately the high rise folk are usually the ones with the higher numbers and are usually in control over policies. I hate that.

To a LOT of city people here were I live, Stanley Park is the "Bush" !!!! as far as they are concerned.

Right now I'm a city-dweller too. I might have to live around those types but I ain't like them at all...

Wolfman

Deerwhacker
02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I gave the ignorent clueless hippies my piece of mind.

fireonethree
02-10-2008, 05:11 PM
Hey guys,

The whole concept for a bow hunting opportunity is to help deal with the wolf/ human conflicts that Prince Rupert is experiencing. No one would want to see a child get attacked, and as the CO stated, these wolves have lost their natural fear of humans, and this will progress to even more human/ wolf encounters.

The idea behind hunting deer is based on a suggestion from the CO that unless the attractants (deer) are managed, the wolves will continue to come into the city looking for them. Of course, once the wolves are here, the pets and garbage also get the wolves attention. Even a wolf cull will only result in a short term goal as more wolves will eventually move in to hunt the plentiful deer on the island.

We have always promoted that this is not about eliminating all of the deer or wolves from the island, but it is about determining an appropriate and effective solution to prevent any further injury or conflicts between the residents and the wolves. Some people can't seem to understand the difference between "conservation" and "preservation", and always assume that hunters are only interested in killing everything when we are the ones most interested in sustainability and conservation through responsible methods. Bow hunting is an option that has been suggested by the experts in wildlife management - Ministry of the Environment and the Conservation Officer Service - to address the long term needs of the community. If we can establish a 'buffer zone' around the city that permits hunting, hopefully this will deter the wolves from coming into town, and also allow for deer harvests to reduce the attraction for the wolves.

I'll keep this post handy, and will provide updates as things progress. Your comments of support are always appreciated.

Thanks,

-FOT-

Coyote
02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
The hunt is for both wolves and deer.

Will
02-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Left my two bits......deaf ears as always though I'm afraid.

Open the Isle up to Bowhunting.....get rid of the deer.....the wolves will move on.

02-10-2008, 10:06 PM
I love this guys comment as there are a few vegetarians at work who lift their nose to me everytime I mention the word hunting....I alwways ask them how they like wearing their leather boots.....then you see the cogs turning.....

Dave
Sun, Feb 10, 08 at 11:29 AM
Hold the phone! Everyone's an expert when it comes to wildlife. We have paid professionals who study wildlife cycles, weather effects on animal populations, and habitat variations that include proximity to human settlements. Our Provincial Conservation Officers are trying to conserve and sustainable wildlife in BC, so if they approve of it I'm all for it. Just a note...there seem to be a lot of self righteous bloggers when topics involving wildlife come up...many of whom no doubt enjoy their leather seats and other accessories