PDA

View Full Version : Why south facing cuts for Bear?

sfire436
02-09-2008, 02:29 PM
People keep telling me I should glass south facing slashes when looking for spring bear. I will use this advice but would like to know as to why? Sun? lack there off? Please throw me a bone here

Nick

sillybear
02-09-2008, 02:34 PM
South facing slopes are the first to green up with a fresh food supply.

Eichelherr
02-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Since we are above the tropic of cancer (the farthest place north of the equator where the suns rays hit perpendicular to the surface of the earth at some point in the year) the sun is always just a little south, meaning the sun rises is the east, but a little farther south than it would if we were closer to the equator. This means that slopes facing south receive more perpendicular solar energy, meaning more intense heat, melting the snow there first.
________
medical marijuana doctor (http://mmjp.org)

sfire436
02-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you!

M.Dean
02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
If you hunt a north facing slope for spring bear, a lots of times you'll have to shoot around skiers and the odd snow boarder!!! Stick with the South facing slopes or a slide area. Bears will check out a slide looking for any dead critters that may be in there.

boxhitch
02-09-2008, 03:34 PM
More importantly, its easier to glasss with the sun at your back. Also makes for better pictures. Put sunscreen on your neck or be labelled.