PDA

View Full Version : Road kill Owl

longhairmtnman
02-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Say a person found an owl killed by a vehicle collision, what steps could be taken to legally keep and mount the bird? Obviously a branch of the F&W.L. would need to be contacted?

Mr. Dean
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Toss it into a freezer and call a CO.

115 or bust
02-08-2008, 03:01 PM
If nothings changed you should be able to we have an eagle that was hit at the dump. Thing is you need loads of paperwork and you have to keep the little pink slip in a secure location or they can take it away don't think an owl would be as protected unless its a spotted owl.

rocksteady
02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Have done this several times in the past....Call the C.O. service, make an appointment, they will inspect the owl and if they find no evidence of it being shot, then you can pay $10 for a possession permit. This will allow you to take it to a Taxidermist to be mounted. Once complete, make sure you keep the permit (the pink paper as descibed above) as it proves where the owl came from, and that you did not go shoot one and then stuff it yourself....

I have a Great Horned Owl, a Saw-Whet Owl and a Badger rug through this method..

Not usually a big deal, takes maybe 10 minutes of your time....

ruger#1
02-08-2008, 03:24 PM
last owl that i had done was $60.oo for the fee. Their main office is in surrey, they will also have papers on what you can keep.

Wildfoot
02-08-2008, 03:27 PM
send a pm to calamity jane. her dad has had at least a half dozen roadkill birds stuffed.

lineofsight
02-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Remind me not to walk where you drive.

I have a Great Horned Owl, a Saw-Whet Owl and a Badger rug through this method..

Not usually a big deal, takes maybe 10 minutes of your time....

Chuck
02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Not sure about a common owl of some sort, but my brother once watched a pair of mated eagles do their dance of locking their talons together and spiral downward........right into a power line. One got electrocuted, and so he decided to do just what was questioned here. What a pita for sure - lots of paperwork, footwork and time. In the end he wasn't permitted to keep it anyway, though he paid to have it preserved, so it was donated to a scientific unit of a college. Was credited as the donor though.

Bighorn hunter
02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
From what I,ve heard it depends on the value that the co's put on it. If they figure they can get big bucks for it in the auction in P.G. then they will not issue a permit for it. A common owl like a horned owl should be no problem, but a snowy, forget it. Same with eagles, they get a pile of money for them.On the flip side if you really want a owl, or whatever, go to the auction and bid on them. You get all the paper work right there and your good to go to your nearest taxi shop.

bhh

Steeleco
02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
All good advice, having said that I did this exact thing not 1 year back.
It will depend on what kind of an Owl you might find!! The Biologist at the Surrey office told me that if it has a street value of OVER $200 it will be confiscated no matter the cause of death. They are then taken to PG and sold at auction. If under $200 it's yours to keep once you pay the fees. They gave me a sheet that shows what can and can't be kept.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/steeleco/IMG_1476.jpg

Wolfman
02-08-2008, 07:55 PM
My best buddy just found a dead barn owl on the road out towards Deltaport where he works. He doesn't hunt, but he called me and ask what he should do.

I told him to call the local CO. He did that, as well as call the Owl Society out in his neck of the woods. They helped him do the paperwork he needed for the permit, and all they asked was if they could take measurements in addition to the stuff the CO did.

My buddy was a little pissed off at having to "pay the damned government" money for a permit "for an animal made by God and not owned by any government", when he'd rather have made a donation to the conservation society. He made the donation to the Owl Society anyway.

My buddy is a Catholic :lol: I agree with what he said about the owl though. Funny how the government manages to get their sneaky fingers on every cent they can eh? ;-)

Right now my buddy has the bird at the local taxidermist getting it mounted.

Should look pretty nice when he's finished.

Wolfman

Calamity Jane
02-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm not exactly sure how the process works - I'll have to ask my Dad as he has tons of Owls. I know that the process is easier for him than the average person because he is an educator and regularly uses his mounts in all kinds of classrooms (elementary schools right up to colleges and at park interpretive programs etc.) I do know that he has had more difficulty in the last few years because something changed, but I have a feeling that it may be that there is an online application for educators that he can't figure out. I'll ask him and find out. I think the fee depends on what species you have.
People always make fun of us becuase every time there is something hit on the side of the road we have to stop and see if it's still in good enough shape to stuff :)

Will
02-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Remind me not to walk where you drive.
The Humour on here, often quite subtle makes me Pee my pants nightly......:lol:

Thanks for That ! :cool:

hunter1947
02-09-2008, 05:09 AM
A friend of mine found a owl that was hit buy a car last year ,she put it in the freezer ,then contacted the wildlife branch on Jutland rd ,they told her that they wouldn't give her permission to get it stuffed. It was a little screech owl.

lineofsight
02-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Well you see, I often go walking with an owl on each shoulder and badger under my arm...

J_T
02-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Have done this several times in the past....Call the C.O. service, make an appointment, they will inspect the owl and if they find no evidence of it being shot, then you can pay $10 for a possession permit. This will allow you to take it to a Taxidermist to be mounted. Once complete, make sure you keep the permit (the pink paper as descibed above) as it proves where the owl came from, and that you did not go shoot one and then stuff it yourself....

Not usually a big deal, takes maybe 10 minutes of your time.... I've done this several times and it was this exact scenario. No big deal.

Reading Steelco's comment might suggest that CO's in a hunting community respond different than CO's in the city. It's understandable.

Marlin375
02-09-2008, 12:04 PM
On a side note when and if you find a road kill raptor (or any bird) the best way to keep the birds feathers in nice shape is to slide it head first into a ladys nylon stocking before you put it in the freezer it flatens out the feathers and keeps them from getting broken.

sillybear
02-09-2008, 02:57 PM
The Co's used to be be able to issue a $10.00 permit directly to you. The price was per permit not per bird. You could double up more than one bird per permit if you were that lucky.
Now you take the bird to the ministry of Enviroment (usually a biologist) for inspection, species identification, & tempory permit. Then you have 30 days to apply to Victoria for the now $65.00 permit. One bird per permit. (another liberal tax grab) You can take the bird to a taxidermist with the tempory permit but he will require a record of the permanent permit to return it to you. I hope this makes sense.
Sillybear

boxhitch
02-09-2008, 03:31 PM
My buddy was a little pissed off at having to "pay the damned government" money for a permit "for an animal made by God and not owned by any government",
Apparently, all natural resources belong to the 'Crown'. They determine what us subservients may have. Guys have been charged for picking up fossil rocks in protected areas.
'Possession of nature resources without a permit'
Cast antlers are OK, but try to get possession of a 380-class winterkill skull :frown:

J_T
02-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Apparently, all natural resources belong to the 'Crown'. They determine what us subservients may have. Guys have been charged for picking up fossil rocks in protected areas.
'Possession of nature resources without a permit'
Not quite. You may take a fossil rock from crown land. You may not take that rock without permission if someone else holds the subsurface rights. The fossil rock you extract/take, may not leave the province.

Possession is different, if it is for any personal/commercial gain, versus simply taking a couple of samples.

If you want a truck load of fossil rock acquire the subsurface rights. What does it cost? $0.40/hectare. CHEAP:tongue: No big deal.