PDA

View Full Version : mounting bear skull idea

srupp
02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Here is a idea for mouting a bear skull..I did this one up in my shop for a friend..its a oak solid wood frame with a photo behind archival glass and matted and the shell is engraved with the year(done @ jewlrey shop ) and the skul is angled down @ 45 degrees and looks to be floating...a nice way to display a trophy skull from hunting???

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sam4.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d47/srupp/sam1.jpg

Steven Rupp

Gateholio
02-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks great!

:biggrin:

tomahawk
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Great way to display it.

swamper
02-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I have seen this mount, it looks awesome.

sirttt
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
i like it i may steal your idea hope you dont mind

sirttt

srupp
02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
nope ..just do a GOOD job MISTER..oops..

ya I imagine being from Quesnel you would...lmao

Steven

Bighorn hunter
02-07-2008, 05:05 PM
very cool, nice job srupp

bhh

The Dawg
02-07-2008, 05:07 PM
Looks good, I wouldnt mind doing my upcoming spring bear like that!

pupper
02-07-2008, 05:20 PM
yah that looks awesome. Did you use a cabinet door?

Phil
02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks outstanding! Nice job! I like the empty shell included in the display too.

Thunderstix
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Wow! That does look smokin'

srupp
02-07-2008, 06:43 PM
yes I made a oak raised pannel like you would find on a kitchen door..cept a bit taller lol..since I also make kitchen cabinets no biggee...

it turned out fine

Steven

LeverActionJunkie
02-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I really like that Idea srupp it turned out nice :)

Leaseman
02-07-2008, 07:49 PM
As usual, very nice work Mr. Rupp...:smile:

srupp
02-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys...H i Mike....maybe we do one for Nicks bear..when ya get up here....we are STILL growing one big one for him...

Steven

bsa30-06
02-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Nicely done, i like it.

srupp
02-07-2008, 08:24 PM
thanks all it went to a GREAT guy and his wife in Quesnel....

Steven

willyqbc
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I will try to get a picture up of where this beautiful piece now resides. It is a very special reminder of my wifes first bear, particularly considering it was the only thing we could take away from it. Sam was very upset about no hide and no meat from her first bear...that is until she saw what the Ruppster made for her!!!

Thanks again!
Chris

pupper
02-07-2008, 08:49 PM
I will try to get a picture up of where this beautiful piece now resides. It is a very special reminder of my wifes first bear, particularly considering it was the only thing we could take away from it. Sam was very upset about no hide and no meat from her first bear...that is until she saw what the Ruppster made for her!!!

Thanks again!
Chris

oh cool, it was for Sam. Good trophy!

Steeleco
02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
That is a great idea, consider it pilfered. :roll:;-)
We have the round and the recovered bullet from my son's first bear last spring. Just never came up with a good plan for them all.

What did you use to mount the bone?

srupp
02-08-2008, 02:42 AM
Hmmm I used a short piece of a white coat hanger with 190 degree bends one on each end that slip into the natural holes in the jaw at the back ( widest part of the jaw ) this was epoxied in with 2 part epoxi..and this "hooks " into a white plastic generic closet storage hook attatched to the angled base board. A second short piece of coat hanger wire connects the jaw and main skull in case it ever gets bumped.Sounds technical but works like a charm..and is invisible from almost any angle..

Steven

hunter1947
02-08-2008, 05:33 AM
That's the first time I have seen a bear skull displayed like this ,very nice Peace of art.:cool:.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

houndogger
02-08-2008, 06:39 AM
I think if I mounted some of mine like that the wife might let them come back in the living room:| Nice job.

srupp
02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks guys..I posted it to give others a new?? idea... there are a million ways to do things and this was a new??idea...everyone except the one VERY PERSONAL NEGATIVE:mad: turkey who sent me a rude PM..and have NO problem with others copying the idea..I think it looks great and I was proud of the work I did for Sam...its not what they envisioned when they hired me but with imput from my wife..and 30 years of woodworking and help from a Taxidermist I am glad Sam and her family like it..coming up with new ideas is sometimes a risk?????

As for the rude lone individual...oh well I once had someone E-MAIL me about some survival first aid advice I gave out and he "informed me " that HE was a 3 year vetern with a first aid ticket and HE felt I was wrong..that was HIS point of view I reminded him my point of view was merely 32 years as a full time TRAUMA PARAMEDIC for the province of BC...so what did I know..I guess it goes to show you cant please everyone...feel free to use the idea or not..I was merely trying to be helpful..and IMHO..I like the square pannel with the photo and the cartridge and I thought the oak highlighted the photo complimented the engraved shell casing...and worked well together with the floating skull..but HEY thats what I was TRYING to do...

IF you dont like it...fine dont use it... just dont e-mail me to tell me why you as a woodworker could have done a "much better job.."

oh ya ..in FACT I did recieve payment for this "pathetic" attempt..SHEEEEEEESH

MAKES A GUY gunshy to post anything...

Steven

BCJunior
02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
very nice Steven! i have never seen anything that creative for a bear skull before great stuff.

LeverActionJunkie
02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Ah don't listen to the negative buggar. I'd a paid for a piece like that no prob, I really thought it turned out well.

srupp
02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Sorry for the rant..I appologize..I will sketch out the wire connections and post them in case someone wants to do this type on their own...

Steven

pupper
02-08-2008, 11:22 AM
IF you dont like it...fine dont use it... just dont e-mail me to tell me why you as a woodworker could have done a "much better job.."

Steven

Sorry to hear that someone said that Steven, you did a great job and jerk offs like the one who PMed you have nothing positive to add to this forum. Nothing like sharing your hard earned crafts just to get shot down:oops:

thanks for sharing

Chuck
02-08-2008, 11:50 PM
I like that.....very balanced, and artfully done. Congratulations!

Schmaus
02-09-2008, 10:25 AM
You did a wicked job on that mount. I will try and get myself a bear for sure now this spring. :)

P.S. Don't let the tightybums on this site bring you down lol

porcupine
02-09-2008, 10:46 AM
Really nice way to display your trophy!
________
SLX (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Acura_SLX)

6 K
02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
WOW! Nice .. Very Nice. I can hardly believe someone would bash that. :shock: I now have an idea what to do with a skull that has been in my freezer since '03. Thanks. Please don't stop posting ideas regardless of other opinions.

Elkhound
02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Love it Steven. A great Idea.

srupp
02-09-2008, 12:13 PM
thanks..I was just tired and with the weather.. kinda busy @ work..and may be too thin skinned for a fat guy to listen to a 200 word critisism of my woodwork...the customers were happy and I did my best .. story closed..

Steven

Gateholio
02-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys..I posted it to give others a new?? idea... there are a million ways to do things and this was a new??idea...everyone except the one VERY PERSONAL NEGATIVE:mad: turkey who sent me a rude PM..and have NO problem with others copying the idea..I think it looks great and I was proud of the work I did for Sam...its not what they envisioned when they hired me but with imput from my wife..and 30 years of woodworking and help from a Taxidermist I am glad Sam and her family like it..coming up with new ideas is sometimes a risk?????

As for the rude lone individual...oh well I once had someone E-MAIL me about some survival first aid advice I gave out and he "informed me " that HE was a 3 year vetern with a first aid ticket and HE felt I was wrong..that was HIS point of view I reminded him my point of view was merely 32 years as a full time TRAUMA PARAMEDIC for the province of BC...so what did I know..I guess it goes to show you cant please everyone...feel free to use the idea or not..I was merely trying to be helpful..and IMHO..I like the square pannel with the photo and the cartridge and I thought the oak highlighted the photo complimented the engraved shell casing...and worked well together with the floating skull..but HEY thats what I was TRYING to do...

Steven

Sounds to me like the guy is a weenie8-)

RMG
02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
A very nice, well thought out piece of art. Definately, first class. Always nice to see something of a personal flavour. Definately have to hang something like it on my wall. Thanks for the idea.

srupp
02-09-2008, 04:55 PM
I have a couple more woodworking ideas..i'll post over the next while..

also.....IF anyone has a idea for portable or storage box for reloading..I am in the process of designing one for a real GREAT guy..please PM me ONLY..THANK YOU

PS ...Gate...I am not a weinie its TEENY wienie...

Steven

Will
02-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Steven
There will always be Weenies that justify thier existance in life by Poo-pooing on everyone else, they simply can't help it !

I did indeed take some ideas from your work for my 1st Archery Bear Plaque I have planned....of course I have yet to obtain a specimen....we'll see how that goes in a few months :wink:

Thanks for showing this "Mount" again Srupp ! :cool:

Tank
02-09-2008, 09:13 PM
I have seen this mount first hand as well and think it is one of the better bear skull displays I have come across. I would like to see any other ideas Srupp has up his sleeve!

srupp
02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Will IF I can help in any way..please dont hesitate to ask....

Steven

Gateholio
02-09-2008, 11:54 PM
PS ...Gate...I am not a weinie its TEENY wienie...

Steven

ha ha

As will said, there are always some weenie around...Sure, some super duper capt woodworker *may* be able to make somethign a wee bit better..but WHO CARES?? Your mount is EXCELLENT, looks great and it is done form the heart...:smile:

Gateholio
02-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Okay. portabel reloading..

I take my reloaing gear to the range, so I am reasonably informed on this..

If there is no 'shack" or bulding to get out of the wind,then that is the big issue.

Beam scales (nd electronic ones too) don't do great in the wind.

I'd start with a sturdy "box"

A "box wiht a couple of compartments (so you can clam p a press, keep a scale out of the wind) is a good start.

Keep in mind the stress that a press uses...It is considerable. Tat press needs to be mounted securely- you don't want it to wobble around.

I think a 2 compartment "box" that is reinforced, and could be clamped to tailgate, would work well.

Do a search on the web, there are many guys tht have built "mobile" reloading rigs.

I'm lucky in that a couple of years ago we built a new range, and I insisted that we build some sturdy benches for clamping presses in the shooitng shack. Volunteering has *some* perks....:smile:

Mr. Dean
02-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I think I've seen this before... As then, it still impresses me.
I like keeping the spent cases also. This is a great way of keeping things together.

hunter1947
02-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Steven Srupp ,it sounds like this guy is jealous of your work ,now if the table was turned ,it would be different story ,don't let it bother you ,the way you did it is smashing ,good idea on your part ,congrats on a wonderful job done.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

LostInSpaces
02-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Hats off to you. Nice clean work.