PDA

View Full Version : A thinhorn question

budismyhorse
02-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Hey out there!

I am new to this site, so I figured I would start up a thread to get out there.

I live in the kootenays so I haven't had a tonne of experience hunting thinhorn sheep, but I recently was told by a pretty successfull guide that the LEFT horn on a thinhorn is USUALLY the longest. Pretty much saying, don't walk away from a ram until you have seen the left side.......

Any truth to that?

And yeah, I am heading up north this fall.... go figure.

Bighorn hunter
02-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Thats a new one on me. come to think of it though myram is longer on his left side. he is heavily broomed oon both sides though

bruin
02-05-2008, 03:25 PM
I have never heard that before either but I can think of a couple of sheep that that would be true

Rackmastr
02-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Interesting...never heard that....but personally I wouldnt walk away from a ram until I saw both sides if he was close....

kootenayelkslayer
02-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I've never heard that before either, seems kinda unlikely. I would've just guessed its a 50/50 chance. The one in my avatar is longer on the left side though... Hmmm

budismyhorse
02-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, its kind of a funny one...

basically, it is something in the way that the thinhorn skulls grow, the left one usually tips up more, not really longer, but angles up higher, making it "the most legal" side of the ram.

But since I heard about it, I keep it in mind when I look at rams ....and it is pretty consistent.

Just thought maybe other guys have it in mind when they hunt up north, kind of like aging rules...

Kody94
02-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I'd bet its true close to 50% of the time. :)

Both of my stone rams are longer on the right side, assuming you mean the sheep's side...not your right/left side while looking at it.

Cheers,
4Ster

Kody94
02-05-2008, 05:27 PM
ps: it wouldn't take long to verify with a copy of the BC or B&C record book!

Brambles
02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I'd say don't walk away from a ram unless you've seen BOTH sides.

happygilmore
02-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I'd say thats about 50% true, just a guess though.

boxhitch
02-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Would depend greatly if the Ram is a righty or lefty.
Check which way he favours as he walks sidehill, and which way he bends around to scratch his ass, or which leg he lifts to scratch his ear.

Caveman
02-05-2008, 09:33 PM
Makes perfect sense............................................. ............. A lot of left handed people are a little out there. A sheep hunter is no where near normal. So it makes sense to me that a sheep would left handed :biggrin:

Jelvis
02-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Kinesciaology Rams one side of the brain crosses over to the other side of the body so right legged ram is in his left mind where as the left legged ram is in his right mind. lol

Kody94
02-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Well, being highly curious, I did a rough count of the top 100 stone sheep in the BC book (5th Ed - 2002).

48 were longer on the right. 46 were longer on the left. 6 were even.

Sounds like "an old guide's tale" to me. ;)

Cheers,
4Ster

Kitimat Killer
02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
on my the right side is the longer not by much but it is

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2008, 06:02 AM
The left side on my Stone is broomed off about 3 1/2-4" and the right side is lambtipped. If he hadn't broomed and both sides were the same length, his left side would have been a couple of inches higher above the bridge of his nose due to the fact that he has a "twist" to his horns. My taxi said most sheep have a slight twist to them....just don't know if it's consistantly the same direction.

SSS

budismyhorse
02-07-2008, 04:53 PM
SSS, I think your right about the "twist" part, not really a length issue at all.

cool, so at least it got some guys looking back at their rams and maybe a few pics.

Doesn't sound like its a common thing amoung thinhorn sheep hunters.

cheers.