PDA

View Full Version : non-resident for griz tag

Scobo
02-05-2008, 01:24 PM
I know a guy in Alberta looking for info on coming to BC for a griz hunt. I know how it works for who he needs with him locally but how does he get a tag?

Stone Sheep Steve
02-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Since they are on LEH for BC residents I would imagine the only way to get a tag is book through a G/O. Hope he's got money:roll:.

SSS

BCrams
02-05-2008, 01:39 PM
He needs to be guided by an outfitter. Tough luck unless he's got money.

Scobo
02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
that's what i figured. but if he was hunting for non-LEH critters a BC local, such as ourselves, could get a permit to take him out. but if griz is what he was looking for looks like he would need to get a guide tag $$$ and be with the outfitter. thanks guys.

bruin
02-05-2008, 03:27 PM
There is a way to bring him over for a general tag, basically as a hunter host. I believe it is outlined in the regs.

pupper
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
you dont need a tag just 20-40k right

bighornbob
02-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Certain animals are only eligible for a hunter host. Anything on LEH is a no go as are sheep. I know you can do goat, moose and deer. You could also probably do black bear, elk and caribou.

BHB

srupp
02-05-2008, 05:43 PM
bighorn bob is right..again..since the grizzly is EXCLUSIVLY ONLY on a LEH you CAN NOT take him out under the resident "guide host " program..I have used the guide host program and it works great but sheep and grizzlies are a no go province wide...

Steven

BCbillies
02-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I've used the permit to accompany for goat and it's a pretty straightforward process. I've heard of flatlanders coming here and tagging a thinhorn sheep. Sheep is included on the forms and shows a royalty fee of $250 if successful. Unless they just changed the rules it looks like sheep is a go as long as not LEH.

srupp
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM
hmmm I tried to get 2 flatlanders in on sheep 2 years ago...it was NOT LEH there no go..just my experience.

Steven

boxhitch
02-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Page 9 in the regs
Contact # for details.

Skeena Hunter
02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
It is the regional managers decision in each region as to who gets a permit to acompany and for what. For the most part sheep are off the table even though they are GOS in most areas. But exceptions have been made.

Most other animals, moose, caribou, deer, black bear, goat, it is generally not a problem getting the permit as long as it is in a GOS area.

BCbillies
02-05-2008, 11:37 PM
The story I heard from a reliable source was from about 5 years ago. A hunter from Calgary teamed up with a hunter from the Island. First day on the hunt the hunter from the Island couldn't hack it and headed for home. The flatlander pushed on and within a day or two came out with a Stones sheep. If they make it very tough for non-residents to hunt sheep I'm okay with that. I'll probably never get the draw for the Alberta pronghorn either. :-(

hunter1947
02-06-2008, 06:42 AM
First of all you being a BC resident ,you have to get picked for the LEH Griz tag ,were you picked already for this ???. If so then your buddy can go on a hunt with you and if you shoot one give it to your buddy ????.

McRackin
02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
anyone else feel like there's something wrong having people from other parts come into bc to hunt our griz

Scobo
02-06-2008, 11:30 AM
i personally don't. this fellow is from Alberta and i figured it might be a good opportunity to trade hunts with the guy. but i doubt he would be interested in coming here and filming me in action. although, it would probably be enough excitement for most but i never applied for griz or hunted them...yet. the blackies keep my busy enough for now and are good eating in the spring.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-06-2008, 11:52 AM
How about taking him blackie hunting in one of our grizzly invested slide-filled valleys?? Awesome country to experience in the spring and usually lots of blackies as well. There are easier places to hunt blackies but none so enjoyable(IMHO). Bring your video cameras and enjoy the time!

Best of all.....no LEH required:smile:.

SSS

jurban
02-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Well guys thanks for this great info as I'm the guy Scobo is talking about that would like a BC Grizzly hunt. The guide option for me is really not something I can afford if its 20K. But maybe I'll start looking into guided hunts and see what the prices range from. As last year I took my first black bear and such a exciting hunt. But later in the season while I was deer hunting up in Northern Alberta. I came across a Grizzly and I really enjoy watching it for a while as it both scared me and excited me I figured it would be one of the best hunts a person could do in North America.
You folk out in BC are lucky to have the option to hunt such a great beast.

hunter1947
02-06-2008, 03:02 PM
anyone else feel like there's something wrong having people from other parts come into bc to hunt our griz
I don't feel bad at all if someone from Alberta comes hear to hunt our game. I can go there and hunt there game ,whats the difference ????

kgriz
02-06-2008, 09:19 PM
I had a comment about sheep being on the list to accompany but it being "as per district manager" if it happens on a case by case basis; what a load of crap:mad: A friend of mine had a friend from alberta who was diagnosed with a medical ailment wheras he probably would not be able to walk good enough to hunt within 2 years; my buddy applied to be able to take this guy by horseback into the Kakwa for a bighorn. This area is practically hunting the border between BC and alberta anyways!
He was denied.....I would like to see who has ever gotten permission for a non-resident accompanied sheep hunt if this case was not allowed. If somebody has perhaps the policy should read " as per the discretion of the district manager for their friends only":-P

Mr. Dean
02-07-2008, 12:29 AM

If they were GOS I wouldn't have any problem. But this should be in another thread, not this one.