PDA

View Full Version : todaggan bow area for sheep

Kitimat Killer
02-04-2008, 01:08 AM
hey guys im going for my sheep hunt on the 12th of aug with my uncle but im also off from the 30th of july to the 4th im thinking of just running up to scout the bow zone for the following year im going to go solo is the trail start just south of tatogga in that gravel pit that what i was told.
and is it worth going there i heard theres lots of sheep but odds are tuff there do to lots of traffic what aare your guys thoughts on that area?
thanks guys.

BCrams
02-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Later the better for Todagin.

GoatGuy
02-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I know a couple guys that have taken rams out of there and hunt the area annually. You'll definitely see rams, just a matter of getting in on them.

The outfitter does well in there too.

trigger
02-04-2008, 06:34 PM
i wouldnt announce the site where the trail starts to loudly.

BCrams
02-04-2008, 08:15 PM
i wouldnt announce the site where the trail starts to loudly.

The trail into the park is well known and well marked. Its also quite popular with the regular hikers who do not hunt.

Here's the link for information and how to access the Todagin bow only area.

http://www.elp.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/todagin.html

http://www.elp.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/todagin/hiking.html

tomahawk
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I haven't been there for some years but the trail head is very easy to find, just ask at the resort on the Lake when you leave your vehicle there, its real close by. Also there was lots of hunters up there the times I went and not much for ethics. My partner and I were on to 14 rams, 3 legal, and waiting for them to come up to the flats off the cliffs to feed and before they came up, there were 5 other hunters waiting as well. Its nothing like back packing into a nice area where you might run into a couple guys.

dukester
02-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I know your thinking "Whats a Sask rez doing posting on this one?" Well many many years ago i worked at a gold mine in that area called Cheni gold mine(french-german owned). and it was loaded with sheep/bears/caribou.And pesky martin that always found a way into the kitchen cooler. indeed a small world. ;)

GoatGuy
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
The trail into the park is well known and well marked. Its also quite popular with the regular hikers who do not hunt.

Here's the link for information and how to access the Todagin bow only area.

http://www.elp.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/todagin.html

http://www.elp.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/todagin/hiking.html

That a boy.

milroy
02-04-2008, 08:55 PM
My thoughts are earlier is better, every ram that is shot before you get there is one less to hunt. Have hunted it opening week, end of August, and mid september and found the beginning to be the best. Last time we we went was mid september and Creyke( the outfitter) came in while we were there, usually we see him the first or second week. Less hunters later but is tough to out travel a horse. But hey sheep hunting with a bow anytime is better than not, go when you can.

BCrams
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
My thoughts are earlier is better, every ram that is shot before you get there is one less to hunt. Have hunted it opening week, end of August, and mid september and found the beginning to be the best. Last time we we went was mid september and Creyke( the outfitter) came in while we were there, usually we see him the first or second week. Less hunters later but is tough to out travel a horse. But hey sheep hunting with a bow anytime is better than not, go when you can.

You are definately correct when talking about the 'resident' rams living within the bow zone and opportunities decrease into Sept as rams are taken. However, not many rams are taken to begin with. Later in October, you start getting the rams that show up from the GOS rifle units. And the last week is about a best time as any to catch them in there ... particularly if early / heavy snows arrive.

Kitimat Killer
02-05-2008, 01:47 AM
thanks guys for the help im hopping to make it there this aug like i said it's more to scout then hunt but you never know when luck turns your way and you get to let an arrow fly at a ram i thought that was where the trial started but was not sure thank BCRams on that sight