PDA

View Full Version : close coyote

mwj
02-03-2008, 12:15 AM
i want to know if anyone's actually been this close to a coyote. this little buggers lucky that i'm after a whitetail. i can't say i wasn't nervous, he's licking his lips because he actually just finished sniffing my boot. he passed dirrectly down wind of me and didn't bolt when i took the pictures.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/close_coyote_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=7912&size=big&cat=500)

todbartell
02-03-2008, 12:34 AM
looks like a pup. maybe you stepped on a dead mouse on your way to your spot :D cool pic I have never been closer than about 10 yards from a yote

mwj
02-03-2008, 01:00 AM
hi tod
i didn't think it was a pup." little bugger " just meant they're not very big. the rest of the story goes like this, about 15 minutes after my "encounter" i could here a ruckus at the next ranch up the valley. lots of kying and shouting i heard later that a coyote came right up to the house and two farm dogs had a go with it. the owner said the coyote got a hold of yhe biggest dog by the lip and got the run of the yard before the guy put the run on it. your guess is as good as mine?

Will
02-03-2008, 01:53 AM
You should have shot him......:lol:

I was almost that close.......once while deer hunting I was cutting through some tall grass....found a pretty well traveled trail and caught a glimpse of something coming up towards me on the path....turned out it was a Yote with his nose to the ground, he didn't look up till he almost walked into me...maybe 10 feet or so !
He sure turned and bolted away quick like...amazing speed when they need it;)

hunter1947
02-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Mark I have been that close at one time to a yote. It was a long time ago when hunting mule deer ,but at that time this yote wasn't so lucky ,he got lead poison from me.http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

shoot'm agn
02-03-2008, 06:50 AM
mjw,

8 years ago we put in a new well at our place. Supper time came so I took a break. After dark I walked back to the well to tidy up - it was pitch black. I knelt down next to the well casing and as I did something moved VERY close to me in at the edge of the grass/bush. I turned on my flashlight and not 10 feet away there sat a coyote! He just sat there. I cluncked him one in the chest with a fist-sized rock. He'd sat there the whole time as I walked up. That was wierd...bad-wierd.

M.Dean
02-03-2008, 07:06 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/upload_pics_20080203075245Photos_326.jpgI had this guy real close also, took a few pics and got him on video, a little spooky,if the camera was lower you would see the rifle barrel! No, i didn't shoot him, he was doing the same as me, out hunting and enjoying the day!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2008, 08:14 AM
I was set up in a timbered ravine doing some rattling when a yote came trotting in looking for the deer. He cut over to my side of the ridge but disappeared behind the contour of the land. I gave my fawn can call a tip and he immediately came trotting right at me from the side. I waited until he was about 2 yds away and turned and gave him a loud snarl face to face. He turned around so fast I thought he was going to leave his pelt behind:smile:. I hate blowing my cover over shooting a stinky yote:-|.

SSS

outdoorswoman
02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
we just had two yotis in town shot by the RCMP because there were getting to bold .One accualy came up 3 time to one guy ( after being chased off each time ) nipping his heals. Iam not sure about every were elts but here there realy bad for not being afraid of people. scary part was the one was shot right near a elementery school .... yikes!!!!!

ryanb
02-04-2008, 09:31 PM
I've shot one about that close before when I was watching a game trail leaning against a tree. Decided to stay put after i put him down and sure enough 3 does came along a few minutes later. Don't think that shooting a yote while out deer hunting ought to spook game out of the area...just the opposite.

Derp
02-04-2008, 09:33 PM
here in poco me and my friends get super close to yoters within 5 yards when we chase them through alleys and parks sometimes at night, but i don't know, i think urban yotes are braver than wild ones..

Sideofabarn
02-04-2008, 10:09 PM
My closest encounter with a yote was in Calgary. I was walking along the sidewalk, and across the other side of our little road, walking the opposite way, and I may add on the other sidewalk, was the yote. It didn't give me so much as a second glance. This coincided with a rash of "lost" pets in the local area. When I walk the little dog my eyes are constantly scanning. Sometimes with him around, I feel like I'm trolling.

freeman6
02-04-2008, 10:44 PM
One of the ladies I work with at the Headwaters Forest District office went accross the highway and down into North Thompson Park about a week ago during lunch. A big dog coyote followed her about from about half way along one of the trails right back to the office door. Several of the other office staff got a good look at it as well. I missed out on that one.

I have never been that close to a coyote and known about it. I have been within 6-10 feet of a lynx a couple of times, they seemed just as curious of me as I was of them. That was in the MacKenzie country though and I might have been the first human they had ever seen.

I also had two black wolf cubs wander up the road past my pickup one day, that was just out of Mackenzie as well. One of them got off the road and into the ditch to go by, but the other went right by the tailgate. I was sitting on my spare tire by the driver's door, holding my binoculars in front of my face so that they couldn't see my tonsils, my mouth was open that far.

I was between rounds of sighting in my .338 when I saw them coming, and after they left, I carried on. Several shots later, one of them popped back out of the bush up by my target and howled for mom. She answered from close by and the pup disappeared again.

If I ever figure out how to post them, I have some slides of a wolverine I chased into the bush with my camera many years ago and a couple of prints of a badger I cornered one day as well.

Don't know if I would try and pull either of those stunts off again nowadays. I can't run nearly as fast trying to keep up. Or to stay ahead if they decided to chase back for a change.

todbartell
02-05-2008, 12:46 AM
i'll whack the ones you dont

Monashee
02-05-2008, 01:20 AM
One day out surveying I was about 15 feet from one once , it was sleeping in a culvert. Nother time had one walk by about 50 feet away .

Met a gal once who swore she had a coyote fall asleep against her feet when she was camping in the open , I believe her.

Can be dangerous if they lose their fear of people otherwise an interesting critter that mostly eats rodents.

Chuck
02-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Some years back it was cold in January and a whole bunch were kiying night after night across the valley. Well I thought I'd shut them up for good!
Got my Cooey repeater and a box of shells trudged though the snow and worked up a big sweat to get there. Climbed up a small fir tree to about 10 feet, got my .22 ready for action and blew twice on a home made squeeker I had. Within 2-3 minutes there were 7 coyotes beneath the tree. I struggled to keep from laughing out loud or pissing myself, as they were so close I could have spit on them all. The expressions on their faces was absolutely priceless as the searched for the source of that sound. They truly had KILL in their eyes. 50 shells to choose from and the firing pin landed on a dud, so they all vanished into the brush within about 4 seconds.

shoot'm agn
02-05-2008, 06:39 AM
Part of what we do is to farm hay. Our hay shed holds 4000 bales and is 100 meters from our house. It's that far away from our home to provide a buffer against rodents. We keep a sizeable cat population who do their job well. And we feed them well. But we are against the bush (and any cat who wanders there's a gonner). Every few years the coyotes come en masse for our cats right in our yard. On one such year about a decade ago we were down to only a few cats. One morning I came out and a yote had the remaining cats perched in the rafters of the hay shed, sitting waiting for them. I put an end to that. Before that incident I knew it happened, but had never seen it, after that incident I marked a boundary around our farm and am intollerant of any coyote inside. I have a rule here: I don't eat my friends (horses, dogs, cats)...and I won't tollerate others doing it either. Look up the word 'opportunist' in the dictionary, there'll be a picture of a coyote next to it.