PDA

View Full Version : Okanogan Varmint Hunting Info

irishbandit1
02-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi,I just purchased a slick little Bruno .222 to keep my .17 hmr company and would like to get out and do some plinking as well as try my hand at using my new predator call.I've hunted around Kelowna and the OK all my life,just not at this time of year.I will be limited to my 4x4 for transportation so I am wondering where I could gain access as a sled is not an option.I have shot coyotes while hunting other game but this is the first year I'll make a real effort at solely hunting predators in the winter months.I am just looking for advice as to access, not your honey holes.Thanks in advance,'Bandit.

irishbandit1
02-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok,lets try a different route.Who knows what forest service roads are being plowed in the area so I can get out for a day of shooting.Is there anyone who travels up to Headwaters Lake around Peachland ice fishing and knows how the roads are around there?Also have they been plowing Bear Creek main on the Westside as far as the lake?Thanks 'Bandit.

troutseeker
02-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Just go up Myra and park at the fence at the old railbed. Walk in for a while ond you'll find lot's of yote tracks in that area.

Otherwise up Goudie rd is the same. you'll have to hoof it a bit but you'll find yotes, the damn place is full of them...

Troutseeker

Big Daddy Ryan
02-03-2008, 01:36 AM
Ya i'd try up past idabel lake as well, i've seen a few and there's always a ton of tracks around when we are up there on the sleds.

boxhitch
02-03-2008, 05:32 AM
You don't ahve to get up high out of the valley, lots are down low. They are real active now, walking with five legs.
The kill count at the ranch near here has jumped from one a day all winter, to two's and three's each day the last week.
Find a rancher with some calving cows and work out a protection deal, maybe?

Pete
02-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Watch out on the logging roads. The logging companies are going flat out and will be until break up. Unless you have a radio you will really be putting yourself in harms way.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Like boxhitch said they are not high. Find the deer and you will find the yotes.
Have you got snowshoes?? If not hike on snowmobile paths which are pretty much everywhere where there is access to the "slightly" higher country behind subdivisions.

SSS

irishbandit1
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks guys,I"ll see what I can find up around Goudie,Myra and Postill.Time to break out the snow camo!Open offer to all local ranchers and farmers out there,P.M. me and I"ll come over and take care of your coyote problem.As well I am more than willing to help eradicate any pescky deer or elk during the fall open season.I realize how much of a nusance these large antlered animals can be:biggrin:Thanks 'Bandit.