PDA

View Full Version : Eberlestock Packs?

Plincker
01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
Hi guys,

Just looking at the Eberlestock "gunslinger" pack. I'll be using it for mainly day hikes and fly fishing. Really nice that you can fit a rifle and rods in the same compartment. And for $180, thought that was pretty good deal

Does anyone have one of these packs? If so what do you think of it?

BlacktailStalker
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
Plincker, you'll like it.
I run a J104.
They are quality packs.

Plincker
02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanx buddy, you've helped me out a few times now Thanx!

Did you ship yours straight from the states or did you get yours from a shop? It'd be so much easier to get it from a shop plus I like supporting my local gun shop. I wonder if Italian sporting goods would be able to order me one?

BlacktailStalker
02-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Honestly, it will probably be cheaper to order it directly from Glen at Eberlestock. He ships quickly too. Thats the route I went.

huntcoop
02-01-2008, 09:22 AM
I also ordered my J104 directly from Glen at Eberlestock. Awesome pack and great to deal with.

bighornbob
02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Wholesale sports in Kamloops has them as well as the X1, Barta Stalker and the J107.

They just got the J107 and I worked out prices and it was almost the same as when I ordered it from Eberlestock in late July.

At Wholesale the mark up above the cost of ordering it from the states basically covers the duty and shipping.

BHB

Plincker
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanx guys for the input.

bighornbob do you know if wholesale sports would be able to ship to Vancouver?

Offroad
02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
I got the J 107 it the best pack I've owned, well worth the money. I ordered from Glen @ eberlestock it was shipped very fast right to my door. Used it on a backpacktrip for moose and it was back saver.

bighornbob
02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanx guys for the input.

bighornbob do you know if wholesale sports would be able to ship to Vancouver?

Not sure if they will ship to Vancouver. They will probably want you to order through Calgary and I have heard that can be a gong show.

If not give them a call and see if you can pay for it over the phone by CC and I can pick it up and box it and ship it collect on Greyhound if you want.

BHB

Derek_Erickson
02-01-2008, 08:53 PM
You better order it now if you want it for next season, you'll probably get it in august sometime....

dana
02-01-2008, 10:34 PM
I have a J105 and have nothing but praise for Eberlestock. It by far is the best pack I've ever had. It fits snug as a day pack and then when the trigger is pulled and game is on the ground, it opens up to be one hell of a meat pack. I've used it on numerous occasions thus far and it definately holds more meat than I physically can carry. I ordered straight from Eberlestock and had it at my door in less than 4 business days. With the high Canadian dollar, it might be just as easy ordering straight from them instead of using Wholesale if you can't make it to the Kamloops store.

Marc
02-01-2008, 10:38 PM
I second Dana on this one order it right from the company. Great person to deal with and tell him you read about it on here. I told him about the website when I ordered mine and he was pleased to hear that his packs were getting such great reviews.

02-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Not sure if they will ship to Vancouver. They will probably want you to order through Calgary and I have heard that can be a gong show.

If not give them a call and see if you can pay for it over the phone by CC and I can pick it up and box it and ship it collect on Greyhound if you want.

BHB

I ordered some stuff through Wholesale about a year ago. Did not have any issue with the shipping....and that was in December during the Christmas rush.

Now that they are in Kamloops and have family near there, it's just a day trip with a reward at the end.

Plincker
02-02-2008, 11:31 AM

BHB

Bighornbob thanx alot for the offer. My birthday is in a week. Gonna see what I get first. Hope someone got me an Eberlestock pack!!! If that fails I'll try calling them and I'll price out the difference between shipping direct versus wholesale. Thanx again for the offer, very kind of yeah!

I'm glad to hear that these packs are such good quality. It's always nice to know that you're not getting a piece of Sh!t of a product.

Thanx,
Plincker

dana
02-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Here's a pic of me this past fall with my son's entire 4x3 muley deboned in the J105.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/oct28026a.jpg
The heaviest load I packed out was my 07 muley. It was a very big bodied SOB. I deboned it completely and was able to put the entire deer, encluding head and cape in the pack. I could barely walk with that amount of weight on my back. It certainly was the heaviest weight I've ever packed. I made it about 100 metres and decided I had to do 2 trips because I was going to hurt myself if I kept going like that. The pack wasn't straining with all that weight though. I was very very impressed.

Islandeer
02-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Great photo Dana. ihave always usedexternalframes,and use the Alaskan from Cabellas now. Are the internals rigidenough for quarters? they look comfy for the back.

frenchbar
02-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Here's a pic of me this past fall with my son's entire 4x3 muley deboned in the J105.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Hunting%20Pics/oct28026a.jpg
The heaviest load I packed out was my 07 muley. It was a very big bodied SOB. I deboned it completely and was able to put the entire deer, encluding head and cape in the pack. I could barely walk with that amount of weight on my back. It certainly was the heaviest weight I've ever packed. I made it about 100 metres and decided I had to do 2 trips because I was going to hurt myself if I kept going like that. The pack wasn't straining with all that weight though. I was very very impressed.That would be a heavy load dana .probably close to your own weight:wink:

kutenay
02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
It ain't how BIG ya are, it's how tight yer wound, as famed Seattle mountaineer Jim Wickwire often used to say. He was a short guy, and we are KNOWN for our high quality in all respects, AND he climbed with the Whittaker brothers and the others who were the initial Yanks to succeed on Everest,etc. So......

Also, anyone wanting ANY extra weight here, wellllll, there are a few of us older guys who would GLADLY donate 20 lbs. each or so....... :)

frenchbar
02-02-2008, 03:06 PM
It ain't how BIG ya are, it's how tight yer wound, as famed Seattle mountaineer Jim Wickwire often used to say. He was a short guy, and we are KNOWN for our high quality in all respects, AND he climbed with the Whittaker brothers and the others who were the initial Yanks to succeed on Everest,etc. So......

Also, anyone wanting ANY extra weight here, wellllll, there are a few of us older guys who would GLADLY donate 20 lbs. each or so....... :)

Im a small guy , that some would say is wound tight:-)..it helps:wink:

dana
02-02-2008, 03:24 PM
You know dynamite comes in small packages. ;) Even though I am a small guy, I've always been able to bulldog heavy weight on my back. I am sure that the weight of my 07 buck deboned was indeed very close to my own weight of 140 lbs.

Islandeer,
The Eberlestock is definately sturdy enough for entire quarters if one feels they want to pack the useless bone out for the hell of it. ;) The majority of the work is done once you've got the quarters. The act of deboning doesn't take much extra time. I suppose if one has lots of help and one is fairly close to the truck, then leaving the bone in is not a huge issue. There is no doubt that the eberlestock can handle a moose quarter with ease.
The problem with external fame packs is they really make shitty daypacks when hunting timber or brush. So once an animal is down, many hunters walk back to the truck carrying a light load in their simple daypacks and then throw on their packframe and hike all the way back in and start carrying quarters out. Internal frame packs like the Eberlestock eliminate that extra trip. One can wear them as a great daypack and when the trigger is pulled, you can open them up and jam a ton of meat into them.

kutenay
02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
True, I lost a shot at a fine Mulie east of 70 Mile back in '89 because my carefully customized Camptrails Freighter pack let out a squeak as I slowly raised my Browning combo gun to shoot. I have owned tried and used about every frame available and now will not use one for any hunting.

The relatively new Mystery Ranch NICE frame will do anything that a external can do and is far more compact plus quiet. I load mine with an honest 100 lbs. to train with and any pack that allows a 61 yr. old guy to comfotably hump this kind of weight for an hour at a time without a break is a GOOD pack, IMHO.

These cost serious bux, but, they work like nothing else I have ever tried and are built like godzilla, I will be long dead before mine wears out!

I usually have a camo. fleece cover made by my CEO over my pack and a small dayglo orange piece that fits on the back, just so someone does not think that I need "ventilation!"

Islandeer
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
Good stuff re the eberlestock pack, I will goggle it up. a question re compartments etc. My Cabellas pack has lots,with tons of straps etc. How are they in comparison.

Plincker
02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Dana don't sure what happend but I can see the pic you posted! Just shows a little box and a red cross through it? Would love to see the pic of your pack fully loaded.

you guys should check out the Eberlestock website. There's a pic of a guy with a HUGE elk head, rack and hide rolled up all in his pack. Very cool pic!

Do the gunslinger packs hold as much as the J107 or 104's? I like the gunslingers because they look abit more pracitcle for day hiking and caring my fly fishing gear in. Plus the significant price difference also plays a roll.

Plincker

Plincker
02-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Woops ment to write, Dana not sure what happend but I can't see the pic you posted!

I've only had 2 beers I promise!

catwelder
02-03-2008, 10:41 PM
how about for a 2 week stone hunt?

bighornbob
02-03-2008, 10:41 PM
The gunslinger is only 2900 cubic inches while the J107 or J104 are 5400cubic inches.

The 107 only has room for one gunin the scabbard as only one side of the pack is meant for that. The other side is a pocket for the hydraton bladder. By the looks of pics the gunslinger does not hold the hydration pack in the same place so you could also carry a fishing tube and a gun.

BHB

daycort
02-03-2008, 10:48 PM
how about for a 2 week stone hunt?

I bought the J104 for mountain hunting. After my 10 day trip this year I will let you know how it works. It fits just as comfy as my 2800 badlands day pack.
I used it a little for whitetail hunting it was real nice to carry.

BlacktailStalker
02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
J104 for 2 weeks ? No way.
J107 maybe.
I'm doing a 2 week stone hunt and my j104 wont cut it for that.
Great day pack when you're expecting to haul meat at the end of the day or for 2-3 day bivys.

bighornbob
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
I took my J107 with the superSpike Camp and I had gear and food for a 2 week hunt. Dont let anyone tell you it cant be done witha J107.

BHB

Wild Images
02-04-2008, 10:10 AM
First put everything in your pack that you think you might need for the hunt, and weigh the pack. Then take it all out and go over it again and leave out the stuff that you dont really need.
After you have done this put it all back in and weigh the pack again. Now take it all out and get rid of anything that you don't need to survive, reload and weigh again. Now you have your base weight deduct the food you are going to eat and add the weight of the sheep meat, cape, and of coarse those 42" horns that you have to carry out :smile:
My first Stone was taken a long ways from our drop off lake and it took two brutal ten hour days to get back, we took two rams so there was no sharing the load and two trips were out of the question. Packs were around 115 lbs coming out 60 lbs going in, My sheep pack now comes in at 45 lbs without the rifle NO FRILLS.

daycort
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
I bought the J104 for mountain hunting.

correction I have the 107 with the spike bag attachment;-). You had me worried there for a while.

here is a great thread about the packs.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16121

.308win
03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Going to be watching this post! Thinging of getting an Eberlestock this weekend at WSS. Not tring to highjack here but for the guys who have one, how does the scabard work for you, easy to pull the gun out of? No scope hang ups?

Perry