PDA

View Full Version : scope from the U.S.

BowSitter
01-26-2008, 11:07 AM
I just bought a Bushnell 3200 elite off of E-Bay and it is in the U.S., am I going to have customs problems? I asked the supplier to just put scope and not rifle scope on it. He said OK...Thanks .......Ron

martyonthewater
01-26-2008, 11:14 AM
"optics" is even better, the less association with firearms the better. If it is un-insured for shipping you can also ask him to de-value it on the way bill to reduce potential tax and duties

Bow Walker
01-26-2008, 11:24 AM
What are you going to put it on? Have you got a "well used" lefty rifle on the way?

Gunner
01-26-2008, 12:22 PM
If US Customs checks it you are out 1 scope.It is illegal under US law to export scopes (and other firearms related items) to Canada without a US export permit.If your scope makes it to Canada Customs you are home free. Gunner

ROEBUCK
01-26-2008, 12:29 PM
i bought a scope last year on ebay and it was opened by canadian customs i was charged the duty and taxes by the shipping company on collection the canada customs didnt confiscate my scope, keep your fingers crossed

martyonthewater
01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Beware "brokerage fees" charged by UPS. They can be quite hefty

Dannybuoy
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
If US Customs checks it you are out 1 scope.It is illegal under US law to export scopes (and other firearms related items) to Canada without a US export permit.If your scope makes it to Canada Customs you are home free. Gunner
What he said
Dan

Gunner
01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
i bought a scope last year on ebay and it was opened by canadian customs i was charged the duty and taxes by the shipping company on collection the canada customs didnt confiscate my scope, keep your fingers crossedAs I said,Canada Customs will NOT confiscate your scope,But if US Customs opens it (and they do on occasion),it will be confiscated,and your name may end up in the Homeland Security computer list.Right or wrong the Yanks take these things seriously,as it is against THEIR laws!Good Luck! Gunner

Steeleco
01-26-2008, 02:35 PM
After a bit of advice to look up the topic in the search, where you'll find lots of discussion on this issue, I'm going to have to lock this thread. Forum rule #16 " No Illegal activities to be discussed in the forums. "

The act of shipping items such as scopes, brass, rings and bases etc, is ILLEGAL without the proper permits. Not so much from the US customs side of things but the BATF and the US commerce dept.

Yes it's done, and we all know someone that got away with it. But is it worth it?

Good luck Bowsitter, hope it works out for you.