PDA

View Full Version : what would you do

blacktail18
01-25-2008, 06:27 PM
just wondering what u would do if u where out bowhunting the nite before rifle season and you wounded a 3 point mulie or a bull elk do u shot it with ur bow the next day are do u shot it with a rifle.

BlacktailStalker
01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Good question !
Assuming there is no legality attached to this i dont know about...
Assuming we are in an area that permits both, bring both.
Perhaps the animal was still too alert to let you get within bow range, but definitely wounded. I'd want to put him down for ethical reasons, as well as finish the unfinshed chapter.
Now if it was a book animal, say pope and young, some guys may not make that choice, losing that "title" but at the end of the day a guy needs to do whatever is right to put that animal down in my eyes.

Will
01-25-2008, 06:54 PM
just wondering what u would do if u where out bowhunting the nite before rifle season
I wouldn't be out at night anyways..........;)

01-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Probably try tracking it down with a bow.........if l was sure of my shot, it wouldn't be far, and if it was a marginal hit, I don't think a rifle would help find something that has had the night to move........

J_T
01-25-2008, 10:18 PM
The last night before rifle, I'm packing up camp.

KevinB
01-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Is the scenario one in which the season changed overnight from an anybuck/bull bow season, to a point-restriced season (for all weapons) the next day? That would then be a pickle no doubt. Ethically, I would feel that it was my responsibility to finish off the animal if I had wounded it, but legally it would be a no-no. If you could contact a CO they might give you the permission to go after it, but then again they might not. If the season the next day still permitted any buck/bull with regular weapons, I'd use a rifle if I thought that it would give me a better chance. What if you bump it up the next day and it's obviously in bad shape, but you don't get a shot that you can make with your bow :confused: I think that by that time it is about finishing off the wounded animal as quickly as you can, with whatever legal means you have at your disposal.

Of course, I don't even own a bow :redface: but if I did that would probably be my answer.

tomahawk
01-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Go after it at first light with bow in hand if I thought it was hit and would bed down overnight and hopefully stiffen up. If I had a buddy with me get him to bring a rifle along and make every effort to retrieve the animal.

hunter1947
01-26-2008, 06:23 AM
When under point restrictions what i would do. If it were me i would go to a phone and call the CO even if it meant driving 50klm ,tell the CO what you had done and he the CO will tell you what you should or not do. I don't know what a CO would say if you finished off a bull elk that had less then 6 points to a side or the deer that did not have four points above the guards although it had been wounded the day before during bow season. My opinion is that you would be breaking the law buy shooting it the next day with your rifle.:roll:. Good question you posted hear.