PDA

View Full Version : Tanner Mountain-Christian Valley

01-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Has anyone been up to Tanner Mountain or Mt. Tanner in Christian Valley? It is named after my Grampa's Uncle. My Grampa, who is 81 y/o wants to go up there before he passes on.

Is there any decent access up there? I have heard that there is a logging road that goes part way, but you have to hike in the rest of the few remaining kms.

Just wondering before we start planning the trip so it isn't too hard on him. Between the people that are going we do have a few ATV's.

Any Info anyone may have would be great.

freeman6
01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Last time I was up there, the access was good to about 6 km from the start of the trail. From there it was brushy 4X4 or good quad access. The hard part for the quads would be the trail up the ridge. Good riders should be able to do it once the blowdown is cut out.

That being said, the last time I was there was in the mid 80s, so access could have changed a lot.

Check out the google earth photos of the area. It will help you choose the best route, then get ahold of someone at the Arrow-Boundary district office in Grand Forks to get the most up to date photos. I think John Halstrom, one of the technicians, has some familiarity with the area or he can put you onto someone that hunted that area in the last year.

Mckinney Creek Adventures
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
There are roads in close proximity to Tanner, but are restricted access by locked gates about 5 km from the end of the roads. The best time to get in there is right now by snowmobiles if you know what you are doing. But it can be tough riding and the avalache hazards in the area are bad right know. We had a bad one a month ago in the vicinity. The only other way is basically by horseback from the gate to the mountain.

MCA

02-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks, for the info. Snowmobiles will be moot as we are probably heading up in August.:tongue:

I sent you a PM though....as you probably know lots being in that area....all info in good info!