PDA

View Full Version : Cow Elk Leh

Jonny outdoors
01-24-2008, 04:08 PM
I have been calling every one on that list of farmers that the co's have and I keep on getting the same answer "no elk" . I had this draw a couple of years ago and there were elk every where . I am going to head up to fort st john on On Feb 8th hopefully it turns around and gets cold. Has any one else had luck with this draw this year? (private land region seven)

daycort
01-24-2008, 04:10 PM
pm sent to ya.

scuba
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM
ya, got one last weekend. same thing though, called everyone on the list and they all said no elk (too warm, not enough snow) went up anyways and just drove around until we spotted some and knocked on doors. most people we asked said no problem. ended up seeing a couple hundred elk over 2 1/2 days.

bwhnter
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
If you don't have any luck send me a PM I had a farmer give me a call and plead with me to send hunters his way. The only problem is that it is a 2 hr drive north of FSJ.

Schmaus
01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Try stopping at the gas station in Groundbirch between Chetynd and Dawson Creek they had lots of good info for us last year. They gave us a few numbers that weren't on the list.

Jonny outdoors
01-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for all the tips I let you guys know how we make out and hopefully i will be posting some pictures!

ianwuzhere
01-25-2008, 09:02 PM
im in the same boat- 7-20 antlerless and heard the not many elk rite now- but a few wolves etc... make sure ya post some pix if ya get lucky!!

Schmaus
01-26-2008, 10:20 AM
The elk are there you just got to find out where. I have some friends up there right now and I will let everyone no how they did and where they went. I think they are in Pouce Coupe.

plumbob
02-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I'm in the same boat as my boy has that draw and everyone I call is the same,so I'm going to make anouther trip as he's getting discouraged.

Gus
02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Sounds like they just got a good dump of snow up north, that should push some more elk into the fields.

plumbob
02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
It's still snowing so I hope it will help.

daycort
02-08-2008, 04:30 PM
come on up! them cows are everywhere. north of fsj should be just about a gurantee.

Bighorn hunter
02-08-2008, 04:53 PM
not quite sure why so many people want to shoot a cow elk (that is probably carring) In the middle of the winter when they are in the worst shap possible. I have no problem with the cows being shot to help control the numbers, I just wish there were a season in the fall when they are big and fat.

just my 2 bits
bhh

meat hunter
02-09-2008, 01:01 AM
the weather forcast is for snow and around -30 c, that should push them down lower. they wont let us hunt in the fall like they do now because most of the herds in the fall would be all shot up . they wait till the winter when the elk are forced down out of the mountains, there is less chance of one specific herd being wiped out this way.I have never tasted an elk shot at this time of year.Can anyone offer some clue as to how it does taste?

boxhitch
02-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Not much for big mountains in the Peace area, lots of elk are resident lowlanders, thus the problems !
As to the negative phonecall response, I know I am careful about what I tell anyone, that I can't see face-to-face. Hell, I've been known to hangup on a few.
Work through some closer contacts, such as local station/stores, gunshops,
Look for the fields with feed left out.

bwhnter
02-09-2008, 10:08 AM
I have talked to the guys that I know that are having the problem and they say that the elk have gotten wise after a few have been taken and they only come out after dark and they are gone before it is light again.

6 K
02-09-2008, 10:38 AM
P.M. Sent good luck

Bighorn hunter
02-09-2008, 04:09 PM
There was a herd at my neighbours last winter of about 60 animals. The guy let everyone who wanted to in. 40 were killed. I just don't think its fair to the elk when they are all buntched up like they do this time of year. Last year was really bad because of all the snow. Hopefully this year isn't so hard on the numbers.

bhh

Schmaus
02-09-2008, 04:20 PM
I just don't think its fair to the elk when they are all buntched up like they do this time of year.

Please start your own thread on what you THINK is right and wrong. Jonny Outdoors was just looking for some help on his LEGAL elk tag. Sorry if I sound rude but i've seen a lot of good threads ruined by people letting there personal feelings get in the way of legal hunting.

Bighorn hunter
02-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Do"nt worry Schmaus, I"m done venting, it isn't us hunters I have the problem with. I agree, it,s totally legal so have at er. I just wish the gov't would let them be shot when they are in a lot better shape. I wasn't aiming to start any fights.

tomahawk
02-09-2008, 04:42 PM
The purpose of the late hunt as I know it is to try and assist the ranchers with the problems that the elk create every winter on their land. Thus the late hunt on private property. I have a couple buddies who have taken several late elk in LEH and they didn't say anything negative about the meat. Actually if you think about it they may now be on grain fields and the meat might just be that much better then in the fall.

daycort
02-09-2008, 04:45 PM
These peace elk are in fine shape. I have never seen them fatter. They actually are round like an old saddle horse. Would be good eats, especially if you can get a dry heifer.

seen another 20 or more today just eating and being fat in the fields(north of FSJ). wish I had a tag.

daycort
02-11-2008, 07:38 AM
Johnny outdoors,

did you make it up to FSJ area for your cow elk? Just curious.

plumbob
02-11-2008, 09:07 AM
No I didn't I'm hoping this wekend but I will pm you on a date.

hunter1947
02-12-2008, 05:43 AM
If I was in your shoes ,I would be going to all the farms in the area I could lay my eyes on ,and banging on the farmers door asking him if he has any elk on his farm that are a nuisance ,and if he said yes ,then I would ask him if I could hunt on his property to take a cow elk and tell him that you do have a permit to shoot one. Sure you are going to get some farmers that don't want anything to do with it ,but then again you might hit the jack pot and get the thumbs up. Then in the years to come you will have a gold mine of a place to hunt ,its well worth trying. ??:?:??. Just my thought.

6 K
02-12-2008, 06:22 AM
My buddy and I taged one on the second of Feb. She had as much fat on her as the bull moose I shot this Oct. Meat is pretty tastey too.:biggrin: If I were to guess I'd have to say all that bailed feed is keeping them healthy.
Best of luck Jonny

greatwhitehunter_30.06
02-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey daycort,
Do you still have that spot with the elk on it? I had pretty much written off my LEH for this year due to knee surgery, but the knee is doing very well and I have a small oppertunity the next couple days to rip up there and try and fill the tag. I talked to my rancher near Dawson Creek today and he said they are there, but if I can find one around Chetwynd, it would save a few miles! I only have a few days, so if you can help, it would be greatly appreciated!! If you can PM me even, my son can check the next couple days and give me a call on my cell!
Thanks,
gwh

tomahawk
02-18-2008, 08:03 PM
My buddy and I taged one on the second of Feb. She had as much fat on her as the bull moose I shot this Oct. Meat is pretty tastey too.:biggrin: If I were to guess I'd have to say all that bailed feed is keeping them healthy.
Best of luck Jonny

Good stuff 6_K, any pictures to share?

Schmaus
02-19-2008, 08:26 AM
Has anyone heard if they are going to open elk again this March?

ianwuzhere
02-19-2008, 07:52 PM
i havent heard of anything this march.
i have a leh still until the 28th for 7-20- prolly head up this weekend and hopefully find a farmer with a lonesome cow on their property somewheres, the weather has warmed up a fair amount but i think the full moon is going to make em hide during the day...

Jonny outdoors
02-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Well were traveling up to fst john for a cow elk but we ended up tagging out on a ranch out side of hudson hope .My brother in law shot a small cow dressed out 210lbs should be great eating .Were he shot her the snow was three ft deep and on a steep bank packing her out was great. note to self must breing sled or at least snow shoes next year.
Thanks for the help with this post.

tomahawk
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Sounds like you got yourself a calf, should be great eating, had one many years ago and it is prime for tender!